Calling all "shinies..."

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
The road bike gets cleaned and lubed after every ride, except in summer when it's bone dry.

The commuter bike gets cleaned whenever the chain goes orange or the accumulated gunk on the jockey wheels starts to cause problems.

I can't remember when I last cleaned the commuter, though I did mickle the chain a couple of days ago and run a baby wipe around the rear wheel as you couldn't tell were the tyre stopped and the wheel started.

Generally I clean my bikes more than I'd like, but not as often as I should.

My old cleaning regimes, how I miss them. *sniff*

potsy

Rambler
This thread needs the input from a master clean freak, @I like Skol :whistle:

When I used to commute regularly it was mostly a weekend wipe down with the the occasional midweek lube if it had been wet (unlikely in Manchester I know)
Now it's more a case of wiping the dust off every few months ^_^

jongooligan

Legendary Member
When I saw the thread title I thought it was another 'what do you wear to cycle to the office' thread. My mate calls office workers shiny @rses.

Dan B

Disengaged member
When I saw the thread title I thought it was another 'what do you wear to cycle to the office' thread. My mate calls office workers shiny @rses.
So did I but not for the same reason (lycra)

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Those of you who keep their bikes clean and commute every day, how often do you clean them?
As I've turned over a new leaf, and now have a new, shiny leaf to keep clean, do I clean after every wet ride, or is once a week good enough?

If it's been a wet ride, the bike gets a wipe down as soon as I am dried out at home. The chain will also be wiped.
If they have been dry rides, a clean at the weekend and general check over. The cassette and chain will be cleaned re lubed every 3 weeks or so.

biking_fox

Guru
I try to clean my Hub-gear commuter weekly. But to be honest if I'm away fro a weekend or two it can end up being monthly instead. I haven't decided how frequently I need to clean the new shiney SS. Probably will aim for weekly too.

degrease clean and re-lube chain. Check the brakes and tyres, wash down the frame.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm fortunate, in that my commuter lives in our spacious porch so I Can grab it and be l. My way in the early mornings. The radiator within drie it out quickly if it's been raining.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Ive just bought a Genesis Day one, it has hub gears. Do I need to clean and relube the chain regularly?

Not quite such a stupid question.

The higher chain line of a hub/single speed keeps the chain cleaner, the chain is always on the correct line, and there's no wear from scraping it across a cassette.

The chain will be thicker than a those on most derailleur systems, making it stronger.

So the answer to the OP's question could be: "Not as often."

Rustybucket

Veteran
Not quite such a stupid question.

The higher chain line of a hub/single speed keeps the chain cleaner, the chain is always on the correct line, and there's no wear from scraping it across a cassette.

The chain will be thicker than a those on most derailleur systems, making it stronger.

So the answer to the OP's question could be: "Not as often."

I like that answer - less work for me!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I like that answer - less work for me!

Tis all true.

The chain on my Rose Alfine hub bike showed barely detectable wear on the bike shop's gauge after a couple of years and a couple of thousand miles.

I treat the chain the same as I do my derailleur bikes, but it needs less of a wipe because it doesn't get as dirty.

For extra, extra, long life you could fit a Chainglider.

http://www.hebie.de/en/protection/chainguard/chainglider/350/

The chain would always be running true, clean and lubed, so would probably last forever.

Top Bottom