Calling all "shinies..."

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
When I saw the thread title I thought it was another 'what do you wear to cycle to the office' thread. My mate calls office workers shiny @rses.
I thought it referred to those of a particularly niche preference.

cf. Furries, smoothies

jnrmczip

Every Wednesday night as there is jack all on the tv and most Sundays depending on how late it get in from a ride or not p's the bike is white so kind of needs it

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Sorry to butt in, but what lube does everyone use?
Bath of motor oil for the chain...after a thorough wipe clean with ever cleaner rags. GT 85 on the frame rear mech, front chain rings and block (to clean)...not on the chain.

Wipe off excess motor oil from chain...takes a few wipes through the same shop rags.

Wipe off all gt85 and leave to "Air dry" before re-fitting lubed chain

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Hose down after a wet ride...general squirt of gt 85 to dispel water on main components...not chain.

Once a week....wheels and chain off, for a proper clean..not a wash. Mix of gt85, baby wipes, cotton buds, shop rags and a lolly stick to clean the bike...then a lube, brake trim, indexing (not generally required) and rebuild. Takes an hour.

for a treat I will remove her block, chain rings, chain, tyres then clean all....replace bar tape, pads, inner and outer cables and she feels like new.

Once a year I repeat with the addition of a new chain, block and tyres....she is due this one over the coming 4 weeks in preparation for a Brussels Paris ride.

subaqua

What’s the point
I am not going to clean my bike ever again.

why, you ask ?

a clean it and ooh lets check the brake blocks turned into
1) might as well get wheels trued at same time as changing blocks - kerching £20 a wheel for truing ( yeah I know !!)
2) noticed rear light was intermittent- kerching another £25 for a very very nice standlight ( not complaining about that)
3) i took the cassette off to grease the rear bearings- noticed some teeth missing- kerching new rear cassette
4) chain got checked within a fortnight has gone from close to 0.75 to waaaaaay past 1 on the wear indicator new chain kerching
5) checked chainrings on crank - yup shark toothed on 2 out of 3 rings ( granny ring is unmarked :smile: ) Kerching new deore chainset as cant get the chain rings separatly for less than or equal to a new chainset.
6) octalink cartridge was a little seized so used some heat to get it out - worked but singed the outer cable to rear mech - new gear cable set
7) as frame was almost empty thought - take FD off to clean properly- noticed why changing has been a bit crap- kerching new FD

so £250 later ( good job i have the tools to do all this !! ) and i have a lovely lovely bike to ride again- feels like a new bike

wiggle must love me ! I was close to getting new pedals too but decided that was just too far as they were fine

MisterStan

Label Required
I was close to getting new pedals too but decided that was just too far as they were fine
You can get them next week! :okay:

Cubist

Still wavin'

why, you ask ?

1) might as well get wheels trued at same time as changing blocks - kerching £20 a wheel for truing ( yeah I know !!)
2) noticed rear light was intermittent- kerching another £25 for a very very nice standlight ( not complaining about that)
3) i took the cassette off to grease the rear bearings- noticed some teeth missing- kerching new rear cassette
4) chain got checked within a fortnight has gone from close to 0.75 to waaaaaay past 1 on the wear indicator new chain kerching
5) checked chainrings on crank - yup shark toothed on 2 out of 3 rings ( granny ring is unmarked :smile: ) Kerching new deore chainset as cant get the chain rings separatly for less than or equal to a new chainset.
6) octalink cartridge was a little seized so used some heat to get it out - worked but singed the outer cable to rear mech - new gear cable set
7) as frame was almost empty thought - take FD off to clean properly- noticed why changing has been a bit crap- kerching new FD

so £250 later ( good job i have the tools to do all this !! ) and i have a lovely lovely bike to ride again- feels like a new bike

wiggle must love me ! I was close to getting new pedals too but decided that was just too far as they were fine

What did you do with the old crankset?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member

why, you ask ?

Although, assuming it's been at least a year since you swapped all that out...that's about 70p a day...I'll bet you spend more on coffee than that each year.

Every cloud

subaqua

What’s the point
Although, assuming it's been at least a year since you swapped all that out...that's about 70p a day...I'll bet you spend more on coffee than that each year.

Every cloud

erm probably close to 3 years for the crankset and FD

@Cubist
I put the crank arms in the weigh in box in the shed , and stripped the decent granny ring off . the rest got recycled Why ?

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
I'll clean the bikes when they are not clean. If it's wet I'll dry it when I get home, if it needs a wash I'll wash it. In winter months this does mean I'm out the back of the house in the freezing cold with a head torch on, much to the amusement of the neighbours, but hey, I like a nice clean bike. In summer once a week does if it is dry weather & nice clean roads. Clean the tyres as well as the bike, no point in having a shiny frame with tyres bedded with bits n pieces.

Top Bottom