Calling all vintage Pinarello experts!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

328isport

Regular
Hi guys,

I've got an old Pinarello and I'm trying to identify the model and approx year of production, I was hoping with the below pics someone here maybe able to help.

What I do know;

The bike has Campagnolo rear mech, cranks, front dérailleur, sprockets and seat post, the brakes are single pivot Shimano 600 series, as is the headset. Which I assumed where fitted at a later date but now believe Pinarello did used to sell bikes with a mix of Campag and Shimano. The rear drop outs and the drop outs on the forks are stamped Campagnolo. There are two stickers on the bike stating 'Vincitrice - Vuelta De Espana 1981, Giro d'Italia 1981'. The stem is a Cinelli item. The bike is stamped 'A.HAYES' on the bottom bracket next to the serial numbers, the last owner told me he believed A. Hayes was a triathlete some time ago, but not sure if there's any mileage in this or if the frames were stamped with the builders initials or something.

Pics;

P9291046_zps4680771c.jpg

P9291049_zpsd5bac636.jpg

P9291048_zps00a96e40.jpg

P9291053_zpsd6183bb1.jpg

P9291055_zps5f41ac94.jpg

P9291051_zpsa9e0c523.jpg

The frame is reasonable quality (good lugs, Campag dropouts) but possibly not a Pinarello. The clues are probably down under the BB area - A.Hayes is most likely the frame builder.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It's obviously been resprayed and like the previous poster I would doubt it is a Pinarello. Don't worry though it's a nice bike. I have a fake Rory O Brien, which I later found out was a Dawes!

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I'd usually look for the Pinarello mark on top of the seat stays and the cast BB shell marking 0- which are absent.

Also those lugs with the triangular cut-out were popular on British made bikes of that era.

Last edited:

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Wouldn't it be nearly certain that an old Pinarello would come with Italian BB shell? Italian BB shells are 70mm wide, while everybody else is either 68mm or 73mm. Thread is also different, but you might not need to go that far to differentiate.

OP
OP

328isport

Regular
Cheers guys,

I was hoping to find specific Pinarello stamps on the frame and agree that without these it is possible it could not be a Pinarello, and the A.Hayes stamped on the bb would make sense to be the frame builder, however! Have a look at these two Pinarello frames I found dated from the early 90's, both are near identical to mine, looking at small details like the internally routed rear brake cable, the triangular rear drop outs, and even the shape of the rear seat stays at the top of seat tube and the forks, which look identical. If it's not a Pinarello then the builder certainly did his best to copy the design!

DSC_8360copy_zps11ec72ed.jpg

DSC_8326copyright_zps3ca5e4ea.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You might be hard pushed to find an Italian frame builder called Hayes.

Top Bottom