Calling all woodworkers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am looking for a laptop riser to use with my laptop for working at home on a regular basis. Failing to find anything in the shops or online.

Been eco conscious I don’t want to buy something plastic or cut down another tree to have something made of wood. Do any of my lovely cycle chat friends have any spare wood in their workshop and the skills to make something like in the link for me?

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/280...f=internal_similar_listing_bot-5&pro=1&frs=1#

Key requirements:

-wood must be repurposed or reused, no fresh wood for the sake of a wooden object.

-must come apart and fit in a messenger bag and be lightish for travel.

- can be any style or design as long as there is plenty of air flow for my 17 inch laptop.

-will negotiate a price for time and effort.

MikeG

Guru
I can do that easily, and as you specify. I certainly haven't the time for a while, though. Let me know if you can wait until Jan/ Feb.

I would point out that whilst I am happy to use reclaimed timber, there is nothing wrong environmentally with using certified European hardwoods. These are all grown in a sustainable manner, and in fact, if there isn't a market for new timber, we won't have woodlands. Forestry is well managed here and in western Europe, and timber should be seen as a crop, rather than a finite resource. The higher the value we place on trees, the more chance there is of it being replanted. I regularly use chestnut from the wood behind my house, where approx 12 saplings are planted for every chestnut cut.

OP
OP
bikingdad90
I can do that easily, and as you specify. I certainly haven't the time for a while, though. Let me know if you can wait until Jan/ Feb.

I would point out that whilst I am happy to use reclaimed timber, there is nothing wrong environmentally with using certified European hardwoods. These are all grown in a sustainable manner, and in fact, if there isn't a market for new timber, we won't have woodlands. Forestry is well managed here and in western Europe, and timber should be seen as a crop, rather than a finite resource. The higher the value we place on trees, the more chance there is of it being replanted. I regularly use chestnut from the wood behind my house, where approx 12 saplings are planted for every chestnut cut.

Jan/Feb time would be perfect. Happy to use certified or substantially forested wood or even left over wood from another project.

It will be used in my home office on a regular basis so needs to be hardwearing and hardwood would be ideal.

MikeG

Guru
I've tons of left-overs/ off-cuts which would suit this. Oak, ash, sycamore, probably some beech, maybe some chestnut. Take your pick. Sycamore would be the least hard-wearing, beech probably the most boring.

Top Bottom