Calling all York dwellers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I know many of you live there, I am asking because my better half, dr_pink is there at the University at a conference from today until Friday. She is looking for a decent hill to do some training on as she has the Blackstone Edge hill climb this weekend coming and needs to do some training. It doesn't matter if the hill is steep or not, just that it is long enough to train on, she is on her touring bike but that won't matter.
Any help would be gratefully received. Thank you.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I spotted one about 13 miles east of York on a quiet-looking road from Millington, a village about 2 miles NE of Pocklington. There is a 2 mile climb NE to Millington Heights. It gains 350 ft in the first mile (6.6%), and then eases off to gain another 150 ft in the second mile (2.8%).

Climb near York.jpg

Last edited:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Off topic but I will see you at the weekend! Will try to find you before I head upwards, my partner will be with me, so will introduce you. Are you watching from on the climb or waiting back at HQ?

Ideally need to get a recce in before Sunday as I have only descended Blackstone Edge not climbed it, are you heading out that way at all this week? Looking on the web it is a little steeper than Long Hill (about 5.5% average) but shorter (2.8 mile), I think the effort will be a couple of minutes shorter. Hopefully I won't have any mechanicals on Sunday, i.e. slow puncture. Good luck to Helen and hope her race prep goes well!

BTW, the results from Sunday are out now on the CTT site, Helen came 36th overall, 3rd woman :smile: Nice one! I got 13th overall, was hoping for top 10, but can't really complain, it was my own fault for racing 2 days on the trott and chancing it on that slow puncture rather than swapping the tube, which in hindsight I probably had time to do!

Last edited:

dr_pink

I spotted one about 13 miles east of York on a quiet-looking road from Millington, a village about 2 miles NE of Pocklington. There is a 2 mile climb NE to Millington Heights. It gains 350 ft in the first mile (6.6%), and then eases off to gain another 150 ft in the second mile (2.8%).

Thanks Colin, I'll have a look at that. I picked up two OS maps from the lovely cycle shop next to York station so will see how easy it is to get out there. I don't have much time - well, depending on how early I can get up - as I'll be busy all day so it's about thinking where I can get to for a quick spin between say 6.30 and 8am each day..

Off topic but I will see you at the weekend! Will try to find you before I head upwards, my partner will be with me, so will introduce you. Are you watching from on the climb or waiting back at HQ?

Ideally need to get a recce in before Sunday as I have only descended Blackstone Edge not climbed it, are you heading out that way at all this week? Looking on the web it is a little steeper than Long Hill (about 5.5% average) but shorter (2.8 mile), I think the effort will be a couple of minutes shorter. Hopefully I won't have any mechanicals on Sunday, i.e. slow puncture. Good luck to Helen and hope her race prep goes well!

BTW, the results from Sunday are out now on the CTT site, Helen came 36th overall, 3rd woman :smile: Nice one! I got 13th overall, was hoping for top 10, but can't really complain, it was my own fault for racing 2 days on the trott and chancing it on that slow puncture rather than swapping the tube, which in hindsight I probably had time to do!
Unfortunately we live a long way from these hill climbs, it usually entails a 200 mile round trip as per the last two, this one will be a 300 mile journey but we are staying with a friend near Preston Saturday night so it will be easier to get to on the Sunday, it helps that the start time is 1pm. We will probably aim to get there a couple of hours early and both ride up it first, then depending on the weather I will either ride up again to watch somewhere close to the top or if the weather is bad I will go up in the car, just have to play it by ear on the day.
As you can see from my post above dr_pink will have little or no prep at all for the climb because of this conference, I'm afraid it is often the case that work gets in the way of training.
Only Colin has come forward with an idea and he doesn't live anywhere near York! Good luck on the day, next stop Cat and Fiddle the week after.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Thanks Colin, I'll have a look at that. I picked up two OS maps from the lovely cycle shop next to York station so will see how easy it is to get out there. I don't have much time - well, depending on how early I can get up - as I'll be busy all day so it's about thinking where I can get to for a quick spin between say 6.30 and 8am each day..
Trouble is - the Vale of York is flat!

I just used my mapping software to sweep a line through 360 degrees round York and there are not any decent climbs until you get to the Howardian Hills about 12 miles to the north or the Wolds, about 12 miles east. I don't know how busy the A-roads to get to them are between 06:30 and 8:00?

Tight Git

Veteran
Take the train to Thirsk (20 minutes) then head up to the moors and there's a choice of hills (all about 25%) which you can do on the way back to York which would be about 35 miles in total.

Starting with Boltby bank, Kilburn (White horse), Wass or Ampleforth are the main ones. Note that Sutton bank is closed this week for repairs so may not be a good idea although I will be going up it tomorrow!

If you need a lift I leave York barracks at about 4pm and live very close to Sutton bank. I could fit a bike in the car easily.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Unfortunately we live a long way from these hill climbs, it usually entails a 200 mile round trip as per the last two, this one will be a 300 mile journey but we are staying with a friend near Preston Saturday night so it will be easier to get to on the Sunday, it helps that the start time is 1pm. We will probably aim to get there a couple of hours early and both ride up it first, then depending on the weather I will either ride up again to watch somewhere close to the top or if the weather is bad I will go up in the car, just have to play it by ear on the day.
As you can see from my post above dr_pink will have little or no prep at all for the climb because of this conference, I'm afraid it is often the case that work gets in the way of training.
Only Colin has come forward with an idea and he doesn't live anywhere near York! Good luck on the day, next stop Cat and Fiddle the week after.

If you drive up and down the climb, would you mind giving my partner a lift to watch, as me and Helen are adjacent riders and both off quite early?

Top Bottom