Calling Dawes Super Galaxy owners for advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Katherine

Guru
Or anyone else who has knowledge of something similar.
I had my first proper ride today (27 miles) on my new Dawes Super Galaxy, it's the 2014 model, and I have a few questions please.

Changing gear:
I'm getting used to the levers on the handlebars for changing gears. The brake levers move the chain in and the lever underneath moves it out (I only went the wrong way twice!) However I'm struggling not to squeeze the brakes at the same time as changing the gears, although I am actually just trying to flick the lever across, somehow I am also causing the brakes to come on especially with my left hand on the lever for the front chain rings.
Any tips, or is it just practice?

Fitting accessories :
The handlebars are too wide for most bells. Any suggestions for a bell that would fit?

We've put a back light on the carrier but had to take off the refector to do so. Any suggestions for how to or where to put a reflector or anywhere else to attach a back light. I don't have the seat high enough above the rack to put one on the seat post that would show.

Many thanks in advance.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Practice for shifting.

Bells - don't bother - just get an airzound and scare everyone ! :whistle: Hee hee - Have a look for oversize bell mounts - I bet SJS Cycles will have something.

There are lots of bodges you can do to fit lights with panniers. Directly mount them. I'd put a light mount over a reflector. You also want two lights at each end incase one fails.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Or anyone else who has knowledge of something similar.
I had my first proper ride today (27 miles) on my new Dawes Super Galaxy, it's the 2014 model, and I have a few questions please.

Changing gear:
I'm getting used to the levers on the handlebars for changing gears. The brake levers move the chain in and the lever underneath moves it out (I only went the wrong way twice!) However I'm struggling not to squeeze the brakes at the same time as changing the gears, although I am actually just trying to flick the lever across, somehow I am also causing the brakes to come on especially with my left hand on the lever for the front chain rings.
Any tips, or is it just practice?
These will be the normal road STI levers. It's just practice, but I found it best not to curl my fingers round the levers when changing gear. Just push on the very outside of the lever to make the change, that way you won't pull the lever inwards at the same time.

For lights, I mounted a pair of Cateye rear lights directly on the tubes of the rack, their standard mounts will go that small. I'll pop a pic up soon.

OP
OP
Katherine

Katherine

Guru
Practice for shifting.

Bells - don't bother - just get an airzound and scare everyone ! :whistle: Hee hee - Have a look for oversize bell mounts - I bet SJS Cycles will have something.

There are lots of bodges you can do to fit lights with panniers. Directly mount them. I'd put a light mount over a reflector. You also want two lights at each end incase one fails.
Thanks.
How do you fit a light mount over the reflector?! We had to remove the reflector to fit the light mount.

OP
OP
Katherine

Katherine

Guru
These will be the normal road STI levers. It's just practice, but I found it best not to curl my fingers round the levers when changing gear. Just push on the very outside of the lever to make the change, that way you won't pull the lever inwards at the same time.
Thanks.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Bin the reflector, or get a seat mount one, or a mudguard mounted reflector. Lights are more important.
Alternatively, given that the weight's not going to be an issue on a tourer, you can let the reflector hang down rather than up. (I've just checked my tourer and I've done this front [on the handlebars] and rear [on the seatpost] - the brackets aren't the problem, it's the collision between light and reflector that messes things up.)

Some rear rack-mounted lights include a reflector

Top Bottom