Calling ex-smokers for help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
New doctor looked at Joes records (no need realy the smoke smell of his cloths told the tale) So Joe have you give up yet? askd the doctor, well Ive started doc says Joe, I'm down to 40 a day. Would be a laugh if it wasnt true. When Joe deliverd our mail we had to air it off first, the smell of smoke was that strong.
Cush

A

another_dave_b

When I gave up, last time, I did everything I could think of:

1. Switched from coffee to tea (always used to have ciggie with my coffee).
2. Switched from bitter to lager
3. Stocked the house with fruit juice and apples, to provide low calorie distractions when needed.
4. After about 2 weeks, my zeal was fading so I started jogging. The idea being that fitness and smoking were incompatible, so if I gave myself a 'be able to run 5 miles' goal, that gave me something to focus on. Worked for me.

Benefits I can think of now, are:
1. Not waking up with such a foul taste in my mouth.
2. Money saved.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Smoked for 20 years, thought I was trying to quit for 15 of them. But I'd still go outside and stand with 'the guys', I'd still make sure I had enough cash for a pack of 10. 15 years where I conned myself. Nicotine junkies tend to be good at it.

Eventually one day I essentially just had a 'smokers epiphany'. Decided I wasn't a smoker anymore. So why go out with cash I don't need etc. Hardest part for me was actually in the newsagents or garage not adding 10 L&B to the bill.

Been quit 100% 5 years now. Generally now fags smell foul, but occasionally the fumes trigger the receptors - no way I'd go back tho.

bonj2

when i gave up for good a few months back i told myself i 'might one day start again', found it difficult to give up without, but now i dont' think i ever will.

Smeggers

13 Months today for me.

Only the other day, I walked past someone smoking outside a supermarket and got the 'pangs'.

As long as you accept its like a monkey on your back, then you can live with it.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
mondobongo said:
What amazed me on the commute was to be able to smell cigarette smoke from passing cars.

Yep, last winter I saw a woman 4-500 yards infront of me (whilst i was walking) I could visually tell she was smoking. She took a pedestrian cut thro between the houses to get to the next street.

Took me a couple of minutes to get to the same point, think I was on the phone...

All the way thro that cut I could smell the smoke!!:biggrin:

mr Mag00

rising member
What amazed me on the commute was to be able to smell cigarette smoke from passing cars.
its amazing is it not, im an ex too and lapse once in a while but the difference when i ride if i have lapsed is enough to stop me again, its only the odd night when had a few too many sherbets.

scunny_chris

Just to let you know that it does eventually get easier,i quit 5 years ago now and took up cycling at the same time as a way of helping .When i first quit i couldn't cycle 3 miles without a rest but now i easily do 100 mile ride ( weather permitting) the difference is amazing . Keep it going it really is worth it ......got to be one of the best things you will ever do

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Good luck all those trying to quit. It's hard but I found it easy with the help of Allen Carr's book. The man's a genius. Then with all the money you save put it in a jar and aim to buy a new bike. :thumbsup:
That's exactly what I did four years ago. Within a very, very short time I was up to £400, saw a bike at £800 in a sale, and bought it before I reached the target. I couldn't face my very own personal shame of buying cigarettes when I had cheated. It worked. Good luck.......and no, I don't miss them at all now. Not one bit. I never imagined that could ever happen.

Edit: Don't use nicotine substitutes like gum, patches, vapes or celery sticks. They just remind you of what you are supposed to be missing, and you don't need that. Hang on until the evening and then drink a lot of alcohol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom