Calling ex-smokers for help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Bigtallfatbloke said:
He has had two cancer scares and one operation to remove a lump from his throat. He has had to have much of his bowel removed as well. He has a teenage son and a wife who are shoot scared. Still he smokes.
Sadly Big fella it's one of those things you put yourself into self denial for.
I had seven Aunts and Uncles on my Moms side of the family, only three left now, my Mom has Emphysemia and all down to fags, but like a twat I still smoke.
But I've slowed down major, need to take the final step before it's too late

littlered

This thread is inspirational, I still smoke, wish I didn't. But I found it really hard to stop the last time I tried. I dont smoke that much maby 5 a day, to in theory it should be easy to give up 5 little fags;)I'll have another go some day.

Keep up the good work guys you will feel the benefit later on in life

bonj2

Panter said:
the side effects of Zyban (weird dreams, feeling ill etc, there's plenty of info on Google.)

You can get weird dreams from taking zyban? ;) ;) So what do I need to do, then - just go to the doctor's and say I smoke and am having trouble giving up? :smile:

OP
OP
urbanrider

urbanrider

littlered said:
This thread is inspirational, I still smoke, wish I didn't. But I found it really hard to stop the last time I tried. I dont smoke that much maby 5 a day, to in theory it should be easy to give up 5 little fags;)I'll have another go some day.

Keep up the good work guys you will feel the benefit later on in life

I feel the same about this thread, still finding it hard going but doing ok went and got that Allan Carr book and Lance Armstrong's.... It's not about the bike, guess which one i'm reading first

Smeggers

I gave up in January (20 a day for 20 years) using Allan Carr's book only.

Can't receommend it enough, although you've got to want to give up and have an open mind in the first place.

Not even remotely tempted by them now.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I have to agree with Panter regarding Zyban.

I tried everything books, gum plastic cigarettes and acupuncture...nothing worked, then I had a mild heart attack which really helped, especially the talking-to from my cardiologist, so I had plenty of incentives!

Zyban really really helped a lot, I was at a really low point in my life and finally having to quit ciggs was an added burden, however, Zyban does what it says on the tin.
Soon after starting the treatment, the physical cravings simply disappear (as long as you have zero nicotine intake)...that leaves you to manage the habitual activities which are then much easier to deal with.

I would really recommend discussing Zyban with your GP/Smoking Doctor.
I don't recommend the Ambulance ride.

OP
OP
urbanrider

urbanrider

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
Hows it going urbanrider? Keeping away from the deathsticks?

still fighting the little buggers, but workmates are saying they can now see a difference in appearance in me, still the odd one here and there :ohmy:
but I'm winning :biggrin:....i think:smile:

thanks for asking
u.R

Brixtonfixed

Yeah, keep at it Urbanrider. I gave up 14 years ago now, from 30 a day to zero with the help of Nicorettes + Alan Carr book (crashingly boring but weirdly effective) for a coupla weeks. Never looked back. A mate is currently trying to kick it, he's down to 3ish a day and has got massively into road cycling... but the residual fags are still holding him back on the hills, I reckon, where I always leave him for dust. (Plus he got some terrible stares from the assembled roadies when he once fired up a Marlboro light at Box Hill cafe one Sunday!) It affects your legs (bloodflow) as well as your lungs, so unless you have a god-like physiology, smoking will always make you slower on a bike. And think of all the extra wedge you'll have to spend on unnecessary cycling accessories...

bonj2

Brixtonfixed said:
Yeah, keep at it Urbanrider. I gave up 14 years ago now, from 30 a day to zero with the help of Nicorettes + Alan Carr book (crashingly boring but weirdly effective) for a coupla weeks. Never looked back. A mate is currently trying to kick it, he's down to 3ish a day and has got massively into road cycling... but the residual fags are still holding him back on the hills, I reckon, where I always leave him for dust. (Plus he got some terrible stares from the assembled roadies when he once fired up a Marlboro light at Box Hill cafe one Sunday!) It affects your legs (bloodflow) as well as your lungs, so unless you have a god-like physiology, smoking will always make you slower on a bike. And think of all the extra wedge you'll have to spend on unnecessary cycling accessories...

I for one know this to be true.

ratty2k

I gave up on the 23rd March this year. (My B'day!)
http://www.silkquit.org/sqmmiv/meter.aspx Scroll down the page, there is a download link for a counter....... download the free one ('cause its free!!!) Runit and fill in the details, cost, how many you used to smoke etc.
Tells you how much extra life you've gained, how much you've saved, hoe many you havent smoked..... helped me early on when the cravings were kicking in. Never did patches, just went cold turkey, 23 years around 25 a day habit. And TBH found it pretty easy!!! I think I had my head in the right place this time round!

I found it easy to give up, but wouldn't recommend my method...
Go out on bike...

Wake up in Hospital with #skull, #ribs, #collarbone,#pelvis and unable to leave bed for 2 weeks - can't have fag and with a few other distractions, don't notice withdrawal.

When allowed to leave bed and go outside in wheelchair - Lit up fag, tasted horrible, and decided to give up.

Effective, but painful!

longers

Legendary Member
I'm another Zybanite. 10th March this year after many, many attempts previously. This is the one though. (Or else I'll be forced to try the Cunobelin method).

Keep it going Urbanrider.:ohmy:

Top Bottom