Calling ex-smokers for help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
I worked with a bloke who, a few years back (16) went to work on nights with 1 tab in his pocket. now there used to be a "spare man" but he didn't turn up this night so nobody could nip to the 24hr. garage so no fags for him.
When he left at 6am he drove to petrol station to get some tabs, sat there and thought "I haven't had one for eight hours, why bother ?" and he's never smoked since. His wife does, he enjoys sniffing my baccy pouch, but he tells me that only twice in those last 16 years has he even contemplated lighting up.
And I admire that.,

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
urbanrider said:
with some bad days (smoking the odd one)
U.R

I had plenty of bad days, when I was giving up I'd smoke a few a week- and I think I beat myself up over them too much- because although I hadn't given up, I was in the process of breaking the habits of the regular cig. break. like the one with the first coffee at work, lunchtime, afternoon break, after dinner, the before-breakfast one etc.

Noodley

I used to smoke 20-40 a day (depending on a number of factors but seldom less than 20) for 15 years. About 5 years ago I decided to stop. And did, the next day. I smoked all the cigarettes I had left and woke up the next day a non-smoker. Did not even think about it after that.

I have learned a bit more about the "cycle of change" since that time (google "cycle of change" and also "prochaska and diclemente") and it makes sense.

I have since become much fitter as I started cycling and going to the gym and lost quite a bit of weight. I have since given up on the gym as I began to find it boring (probably as I was going every day and doing the same stuff) but I am still cycling.

Good luck.

col

Legendary Member
I did manage four and a half days some time ago,but i bought some fags so i wouldnt be cadging all night of my mates when we went out,and bang,back to normal.I thought i would tell you this ,because it was'nt as bad as the thought of stopping,and it wasnt the craving that got me going again,it was just my weak minded excuse to get some,i havnt been out for quite a while now,but still havnt tried again yet,im about the same age as you,and started about the same age too.So stay positive,i think your going to be my inspiration,now you will feel guilty if you let me down wont you.:blush:

Big Bren

XTCRider said:
Big Bren , you feel fitter because you have took up cycling and running after you stopped smoking.

Not so. I stopped in October and over the following few months, started to notice that I felt fitter, healthier and happier. That provided the motivation to start an exercise regime, which I did in January, some three months later.

You seem to be suggesting that your performance has suffered as a result of quitting the fags - I'd suggest that you're in a minority there.

Bren

col

Legendary Member
After the second day my morning wheezing and night time rattle as i laid in bed went,i was surprised how quick this happened,XT i would take a visit to your docs,sounds like you have chronic bronchitus or something similar,after a few months i would be surprised that your still clogged up?

OP
OP
urbanrider

urbanrider

col said:
I did manage four and a half days some time ago,but i bought some fags so i wouldnt be cadging all night of my mates when we went out,and bang,back to normal.I thought i would tell you this ,because it was'nt as bad as the thought of stopping,and it wasnt the craving that got me going again,it was just my weak minded excuse to get some,i havnt been out for quite a while now,but still havnt tried again yet,im about the same age as you,and started about the same age too.So stay positive,i think your going to be my inspiration,now you will feel guilty if you let me down wont you.:blush:

:ohmy: mate we can do it, remember " Be strong and fight like hell " ...god this is bloody hard :ohmy:

Keith Oates

Janner
I gave up many years ago now but I remember the first thing I noticed was waking up in the morning without an ashtray in my mouth. All of the other improvements followed on from that, the best thing I ever did as far as I'm concerned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It helped me enormously to regard myself as a smoker who has chosen not to smoke today. As opposed to "I can't have a cigarette because I've given up".

I used the gum for months to wean myself off, but of course got hooked on the gum and had to give that up too.

I still reserve the right to smoke if I want to, it's just that today I don't want to.

However, if I am really really tired - like travelling for two days to some Russian backwater, then staying up for conferences and late nights tired, then I'll have a sneaky one. Usually disgusting.

col

Legendary Member
Iv read that the nicotine is out of your system in a relatively short time,after that its the habit thats the hard bit,but then we are creatures of habit are we not?In that cereal advert way,You must RESIIIIIST;)
Iv decided to join you on saturday night,thats the date i have set myself,so dont give in to it,your doing great,i hope i can do just as well:smile:

Hi , every day you dont smoke your life improves:

8 hours
Nicotine and carbon monoxide levels in blood reduce by half, oxygen levels return to normal. Circulation improves.

24 hours
Carbon monoxide and nicotine eliminated from the body.

48 hours
The decline in lung function and excess risk of lung cancer halts.

1 month
Appearance improves – skin loses its grayish pallor and becomes less wrinkled

3 - 9 months
Coughs and wheezing declines

1 year
The excess risk of a heart attack reduces by half compared to that of a smoker.

15 years
Risk of heart attack falls to the same as someone who has never smoked.

This was ripped from a website, what it doesn't say is that you also recover

2 hours of your life every day previosly spent excluded from non smokers.
Several £,000 a year yuo were giving to a dubious company.
The relaxation that comes from not always thinking about your next fag.
A sense of achievement and self respect.
A good solid John Thomas.

Most people find they need to exercise more as nicotine acts to depress hunger, so do more exercise, that will make you happier and fitter still!!!

Smoking ? Silly idea for weak people, are you weak?.

Peyote

I'm another one who didn't really notice any improvement in my fitness when I stopped smoking. It was a bit of a dissappointment to be honest but there were other benefits as others have mentioned :blush:.

It's nice now to be able to really push myself and not sound asthmatic, it's good to be able to smell and taste things again. I don't miss waiting for fag-break times and the taste in my mouth every morning. But above all I love not having to double check that I've got my baccy on me when I leave the house, not having to make sure that I've got access to a Newsagent/24 hour Garage to buy some tabs if I run out, not being a slave to it basically.

Been 4 years now, took about a dozen attempts though! I would recommend Allen Carrs book, though everyone has there own ways. I also found that focussing on one day at a time rather than any longer period helped, it was a lot easier to think "I won't have a smoke today" rather than " won't have a smoke for a year".

All the best people.

OP
OP
urbanrider

urbanrider

Well a really BIG thanks for all the replys coming in, still on the path but do slip from time to time :blush: reading all the advice and tip really does help
again thanks
P.S well done col Saturday night it is then :ohmy:

radger

Veteran
When I gave up my 35-a-day Marlboro habit I had a single motivation - money. I was saving to travel, and I realised how much I was spending (and this is 6 years ago). The hardest thing was breaking the habit, not the addiction. I worked in a pub at the time, and having a cigarette was the way you got a break. I used to sit down with a small glass of water when I would usually have had a cigarette, and that certainly helped. I would say finding something to do when you would normally have a cigarette would be the best idea. And I wouldn't advocate nicotine gum or patches as I don't think they're helping, just prolonging the problem (but then I am lucky and don't seem to struggle with physical addictions)

I'm another serial rollie man (liquorice papers too - some non smokers find the smell quite pleasant, so they tell me), but quite often go a few days without if I can't be bothered to go to the shop for baccy or papers. I was smoking far too much at one point but since I've cut down to two or three a day I've noticed an improvement in my general health and well being. Sure I could be fitter if I stopped altogether, but I could also be fitter if I packed in beer and curry, and who wants to do that? I'd rather be unfit, thanks:biggrin:.

Top Bottom