Calling ex-smokers for help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

xtcrider if you don't notice any difference it must either be because you were somehow weirdly just as fit before you stopped smoking, or because your bottleneck is muscle strength rather than cardiovascular stamina/lung capacity - it's perfectly feasible that the latter is the case.
It might just be that you don't notice the effects, but if you're still really sceptical try this: take up smoking again, then after a week, go swimming. Swim as a smoker for a week, and time yourself over 25/50 lengths or whatever. Don't completely bust a gut, but don't dawdle either, just swim at your maximum comfortable pace. Then give up again, and carry on doing the same swimming at the same time of day, and see if you notice any difference in your times.
I think part of the reason people go faster when they've given up is because they feel they should be able to, so push themselves that bit more - but there could have been other reasons for that little push if they hadn't given up smoking, it might have just had them panting a little bit more.
Possibly if you've been timing yourself over a course you know well then you've built up a memory of how much energy to use and conserve on which bits, which is acting like a kind of inbuilt cruise control switch.

Also what sort of cigarettes did you used to smoke and how many a day?

Big Bren

bonj said:
if you're still really sceptical try this: take up smoking again, then after a week, go swimming.

Sage advice from Dr Bonj, straight from the Viz 'Top Tips' page;

"Ex-smokers - to measure the health gains of quitting smoking, start again and see how fu**ing dreadful you feel!"

Bren

col

Legendary Member
bonj said:
xtcrider if you don't notice any difference it must either be because you were somehow weirdly just as fit before you stopped smoking, or because your bottleneck is muscle strength rather than cardiovascular stamina/lung capacity - it's perfectly feasible that the latter is the case.
It might just be that you don't notice the effects, but if you're still really sceptical try this: take up smoking again, then after a week, go swimming. Swim as a smoker for a week, and time yourself over 25/50 lengths or whatever. Don't completely bust a gut, but don't dawdle either, just swim at your maximum comfortable pace. Then give up again, and carry on doing the same swimming at the same time of day, and see if you notice any difference in your times.
I think part of the reason people go faster when they've given up is because they feel they should be able to, so push themselves that bit more - but there could have been other reasons for that little push if they hadn't given up smoking, it might have just had them panting a little bit more.
Possibly if you've been timing yourself over a course you know well then you've built up a memory of how much energy to use and conserve on which bits, which is acting like a kind of inbuilt cruise control switch.

Also what sort of cigarettes did you used to smoke and how many a day?

You are joking are you not?:biggrin:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
oldgitofkent said:
Hi ive got the gum but still not picked the big day. Ive not been able to ride for 7weeks todate due to an op to remove a pilonidal cyst from my arse no comments please. Being off work all i can do is eat and watch downloads its been hard also put on over a stone. My big day is to stop smoking and get back to proper food. Im 44 my mate of same age after afew to many said he got much better hard ons when he gave up cant think of better motivation than that.

Oooohhh - I remember the joy of having a pilonidal sinus excised when I was 18. I'd had it for years, the doc hadn't known what it was and just kept giving me antibiotics to clear it up. By the time I was diagnosed, it had burrowed so much that they were talking about skin grafts to cover the site (just above where the crack of my arse starts). Luckily, that didn't happen.

Had the op in the morning, and that night, once the spinal block had worn off and I could walk again, I shuffled to the smoking room at the end of the ward (this was 1987) for a fag, like the idiot I was. As I stood smoking, I felt a bit weird and thought I'd better go back to bed. I just made it out of the room door and passed out, falling on my very delicate, deep-tension-stitched backside... Boy - did the Indian doc give me a telling off the next morning for almost ruining his handiwork ;)

Mind you - you lose all shame after you have endless rounds of docs and students examining your bum every day. I was in for a week, then out and having daily dressing changes by a community nurse at home. I still have a lovely long scar, plus strange scarred dots up either side where the plastic tubing covering the tension stitches went into the flesh - and a distinct lack of padding over the coccyx.

Anyway - you will not regret giving up the fags. I stopped using sheer willpower at the start of 2004 after 18 years of puffing away and I've not looked back. It does take a while to break the psychological addiction, but just keep yourself distracted and do other things when you'd normally be smoking; I started going for a walk to the deli at work to get a cup of tea instead of the usual trip to the smoking room. Suck on a mint when you'd normally be smoking when out walking or waiting for the bus. Just little things like that.

I wasn't cycling back then, but I did notice a huge difference in being able to climb the 5 flights to my flat ever day without coughing. And that irritating ned to keep clearing your throat goes away, as does the number of colds you pick up each year. Even when you get one, they're never quite as chesty as they were when you smoked.

Anyway - to you all, the very best of luck and stick at it. Never give in to the 'just one won't hurt' lie or the 'I can start again but slowly cut down until I stop rather than stopping dead' nonsense. You have to go for it, give yourself a reason (I wanted to see my little girl grow up rather than risk a smoking-related disease that might rob her of a father) and spend a good few months mentally preparing for the date you've set. That preparation time and convincing myself over the months that I would stop and never start again was what made the difference after many failed attempts before.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
urbanrider said:
Hello
Well i have made a start but its bloody hard going, been chewing nicorette gum and drinking water, so far been having good and bad days
So please help with some motivation and tell me how much faster and longer i will be able to ride and remind me of the benefits of not smoking so that i can return to this post when it get tough :biggrin:
thanks

One of my oldest friends started smoking when he was 10 years old. He gave up with the aid of nicotine patches when he was about 45. About 2 years after that he suffered (unrelated) kidney failure but his life was saved when his father donated him one of his. His surgeon told him that it was unlikely he would have survived the surgery if he'd still been smoking at the time. He's fine now.

I smoked in my teens and early 20s. Then one evening I went to an all-night party and smoked about 60 Benson and Hedges plus about 4 or 5 spliffs. I finally staggered home on what was a fine summer morning and slumped into bed. I woke up mid-afternoon feeling like I was going to die. Eventually I switched on my TV and watched a classic men's singles final at Wimbledon. Those guys were the same age as me and in peak condition but I realised in contrast that I wasn't even going to get to 40 the way that I was going so I decided there and then to quit. Best decision ever. I'm 51 now and feel better than I did when I was half this age.

You can do it too. Good luck...

OP
OP
urbanrider

urbanrider

Hi
Well thought it was about time for an update on how i'm doing
ok well still having good and bad days :biggrin: have done 3 days without smoking but then it gets the better of me and the odd one creeps in
BUT i have NOT given up giving up (did that make sence :blush:)
anyways thanks for supporting me and replying to this thead :biggrin:
and be sure i WILL be smoke free soon :biggrin:

u.R

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
urbanrider said:
Hi
Well thought it was about time for an update on how i'm doing
ok well still having good and bad days :biggrin: have done 3 days without smoking but then it gets the better of me and the odd one creeps in
BUT i have NOT given up giving up (did that make sence :blush:)
anyways thanks for supporting me and replying to this thead :biggrin:
and be sure i WILL be smoke free soon :biggrin:

u.R

Keep it up.
Otherwise have a mild (non-fatal is best) heart-attack, let the cardiac surgeon who has restored your ability to get out of bed and walk again tell you that if you smoke any more you'll not make another 5 years.

Worked for me.

cyclebum

Ive just found this thread and read with interest and a smile. Ive heard so much of this so many times. As a newbie cyclist scouring for info, I find it strange to find a thread where I am for once are the expert. Until recently I was an advisor and ran local quit groups, even in schools. Well done to those of you who have succeeded, and to those that have tried. Most people take a number of a attempts but each time you can learn from the experience if it went wrong. You havnt failed , just lapsed. Often the real advantages cannot be seen too obviously, but the body works in mysterious ways and is busy quietly healing itself, EG many people complain of a worse cough after they gave up. This is simply that the mucous and muck that the body would normally remove using the cough reflex, is suppressed by the coating of tar which clog in the lungs. On quitting ,the tar begins to loosen and the tiny hairs which would normally work to push out unwanted debris are finally free to do their work assisted by a cough to finally remove it. Unfortunately it can take some time for the lungs to be cleared. Of course it all depends on how many ,how long and also what!
Any one seeking any advice I am only too glad to help.
and incase anyone is wondering, the answer to the most frequent question I was asked, yes i've been there!!!!

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Hows it going U.R?

I finally gave up about 14 months ago on quit attemp 474 (or felt like it anyway lol)

I was one of those people who didn't want to give up and was smoking anywhere between 20 and 60/day but what worked for me was:

1) Zyban. On prescription and had to attend the:

2) Smoking cestation support group. I thought this was a pathetic load of rubbish "Hello my names Chris and I'm a smoker" :biggrin: but the reality is that I think it may have helped a lot more that I cared to admit a the time.

3) The Allan Carr book, as mentioned elsewhere. IT REALLY DOES HELP :o)
In fact, if you haven't got it, I'll send it to you if you like, if I can find it. Just give it to someone else when you've finished with it.

4) Zyban. Oh, already mentioned that but I think it was the main thing that stopped me. Be aware that some people warn of the side effects of Zyban (weird dreams, feeling ill etc, there's plenty of info on Google.) Personally, I had no real problems with it, and its not going to kill you like the smoking will.

5) I avoided alchohol for quite a while as I'm weak willed at the best of times :blush:

How do I fill now?

Well, I can lie awake in bed without being disturbed by the gurgling and wheezing from my chest, I'm saving a huge amount of money, my lung capacity has increased by probably double (rough guestimate) and I don't have that constant fear of sparking up a fag and wondering if that ones going to be the cancer trigger. I'm also very concious of just how BAD smokers smell.

Its also nice to have shed the guilt of setting a bad example to my Daughter, and nice to know I have a far better chance of being there for here and watching her grow up.

In short, there are a huge number of benefits to giving up and no benefits in continuing to smoke.

Good luck :smile:

Chris :smile:

OP
OP
urbanrider

urbanrider

Wow thanks for the offer on the book :smile: think i will buy it from WHsmith on their 3 for 2 offer, I am still smoking the odd one :biggrin: and finding it really hard to stop, BUT I WILL NOT GIVE UP :blush: (giving up that is :o)) I know is going to take some time some days feel fine about it ,but other well you know
Anyway thanks for posting to see how i'm getting on
u.R

col

Legendary Member
Well done for sticking at it UR,i failed miserably again,my willpower is crap,but your doing what i want to do,ill hopefully get there,like you are doing,never give up on giving up.Are you getting the benefits yet?it sounds like you hardly have a fag,is this showing in your breathing ect?

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I used to smoke up until 3 months ago, only smoked about 5 a day, and only at work, smoker in denial :blush: !! Anyway it was really hard just to give up so few fags, but I did it and feel absoluluty great. My fitness is a lot better, i`m not gasping for air at the top of a hill now.

Bigtallfatbloke

I have a freind who is the same age as me (mid 40's). He has been a regular smoker for years. He has had two cancer scares and one operation to remove a lump from his throat. He has had to have much of his bowel removed as well. He has a teenage son and a wife who are shoot scared. Still he smokes.

Top Bottom