Calling ex-smokers for help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

urbanrider

Hello
Well i have made a start but its bloody hard going, been chewing nicorette gum and drinking water, so far been having good and bad days
So please help with some motivation and tell me how much faster and longer i will be able to ride and remind me of the benefits of not smoking so that i can return to this post when it get tough :ohmy:
thanks

oldgitofkent

Hi ive got the gum but still not picked the big day. Ive not been able to ride for 7weeks todate due to an op to remove a pilonidal cyst from my arse no comments please. Being off work all i can do is eat and watch downloads its been hard also put on over a stone. My big day is to stop smoking and get back to proper food. Im 44 my mate of same age after afew to many said he got much better hard ons when he gave up cant think of better motivation than that.

OP
OP
urbanrider

urbanrider

Hi mate
Yep thats a good one :ohmy: maybe i could convince her indoors that its cycling thats doing it and that if i could buy a new bike it would get even better :ohmy:. anyway make that date and good luck
BTW on the good days i feel a million dollars when haven't smoked :biggrin:

XTCRider

Keep going urbanrider, I am 6 months + 1 day now. Still coughing up crud, thought that might have stopped by now. Dont mean to burst the bubble but I dont feel any fitter yet, must take longer than 6months. My Avg speed is down and my HR is slightly higher out on bike than when I smoked. I have however noticed more on the normal breathing, especially in bed and on morning, not wheezing or heavy breathing as much so it is worth it , just dont believe the "you feel the difference within days" brigade as everybody is different....

col

Legendary Member
Keep going, i too have the gum,but have passed the day i was going to start,ill have to make another date,good luck.

longers

Legendary Member
You'll save a lot of money which can then be spent on cycling stuff. Save it in a jar and there's a new bike next year for you.

col

Legendary Member
longers said:
You'll save a lot of money which can then be spent on cycling stuff. Save it in a jar and there's a new bike next year for you.

Good point:smile:

Alcdrew

Good on you, I've been clean for over a year now. Must say I haven't notice any improvment in my general fittnes. I think once you've killed the lungs then thats it. But like XTCRider, I don't feel as bad in the morning and no heavy breathing. So there is an up side.

And my lack of fittness improvement is most likely down to the fact I still drink too much and don't push my self.

Good luck.

Big Bren

Of course you feel fitter when you stop smoking!

I stopped last October and like you, found it bloody hard work. The pay-off though, apart from the motivation it gave me to start cycling, take up running again and do Tae Kwon-Do classes twice a week with my son instead of sitting watching him, has been in overall quality of life. I have more energy, get better quality of sleep and my motivation is sky high. The whole family benefit, since now I can't sit still, so we're always doing things together - it's great!

Good luck with it - it's the be present you can give yourself.

Bren

p.s The comment about hardons is true - smoking restricts blood-flow!

XTCRider

Big Bren , you feel fitter because you have took up cycling and running after you stopped smoking. All I was meaning was that I was doing the same rides and mileage when I smoked as what I do now and there is no real improvement. If anything it is the opposite. If I had only took up cycling after I had stopped smoking I would hope to see improvement like yourself.

barq

Firstly good luck Urbanrider. :ohmy:

I gave up about four years ago. It wasn't easy, but it can be done. I did put on some weight because I allowed myself all sorts of treats (had to be a bit careful with alcohol because it weakens the will power). But I later lost it again, so don't concern yourself with things like that.

If you haven't already thrown away all your smoking gear (ash trays, lighters, etc...) then go and do it now. I strongly believe that if you retain these items, you have already (unconsciously) accepted failure. After all, if you've given up, then why would you need them again?

Don't get too overwhelmed with the forever aspect of not smoking. Remember that each craving only lasts a fixed period of time - if you survive that then you've got through it. One step at a time.

Don't put yourself in difficult situations. I pretty much gave up going to the pub, at least until I was a few months in. Even then I avoided hanging out with friends of mine who smoked - harsh but necessary.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck. It ain't easy but it is possible.

Brock

I found it better to keep cigarettes handy when I gave up so you get used to denying yourself because 'you don't smoke' rather than just because you haven't got any. That way, when someone offers you one in the pub it isn't such a crunch decision moment of doom. Nicotine gum for the physical craving in the first week or two, and going out for a brisk walk (or ride) when I became particularly fidgety seemed to work for me.
It's all about the decision to give up. Once you've really decided, it's easy(ish).

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
I was a chain smoking roll up man, as in, when at work you put a roll up down it goes out so it can last quite a while, when that one was a doubt I'd roll another. A pouch (50g) would last about 3 1/2 days. A pouch is now lasting roughly 6 days, I sometimes cannot be bothered to roll a fag but I still don't know if I could just "jack in" although the urge seems to be diminishing.
N.B. I started smoking when I was 14, wish I never had, but I did, Hey Ho!

Joe

Über Member
barq said:
Don't put yourself in difficult situations. I pretty much gave up going to the pub, at least until I was a few months in.
This was the key in me giving up it seems. I also gave up weed at the same time and so I avoided pubs and parties etc for a couple of months, until I stopped considering myself a smoker. Nowadays the smell of smoke is nasty as opposed to tempting!
Good luck:tongue:

OP
OP
urbanrider

urbanrider

hay thanks for all the tips and support coming in :ohmy:
i started at about 15-16 years old, 43 now and this is the first attempt to stop so not really sure what to expect (mood and body wise)
the way that i'm thinking about it is just one day at a time, its been about a week now with some bad days (smoking the odd one)
anyway thanks again
U.R

Top Bottom