Calling forum gun experts. How does a dummy firearm kill?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man

Beat me too it!!!!

OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I believe people playing sport have been prosecuted where it's gone beyond the usual rough and tumble that participants expect.
Duncan Ferguson playing for Rangers got 3 months for a headbutt.
if you watch the video on YouTube it was very tame.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I seem to recall from the bottom of my memory that you cannot consent to have your scrotum nailed to a piece of wood and the hammer bearer was charged and convicted. Or maybe that's just my over fertile imagination!

It's quite an important case in that doing harm to someone is't seen as a crime against the injured party but a crime against the state.

Lozz360

Veteran
No complaint may be made, but the relevant legislation still applies.

Neither is not making a complaint a bar to prosecution, although the cooperation of the injured party would assist a prosecution.

You cannot fill someone in on a sports pitch risk free, just as you cannot racially abuse them.
OK I wasn't very clear. I totally agree that if the assault is beyond what would be considered normal for the game then the perpetrator should be prosecuted. Clearly, a rugby player breaking an opponent's jaw with a punch is well outside of what would be considered normal for the game and he deserves a criminal conviction for it. It can be a grey area though. An example could be a footballer who is the victim of a late tackle then stamps on the opponent who has just attempted the tackle. Let's say no-one is injured but the stamping is clearly outside the normal part of the game. I would say no prosecution should happen but others may disagree. The punishment would likely be a sending off and a three match ban, which would be sufficient IMHO.

Reactions: C R

DRM

Guru
OK I wasn't very clear. I totally agree that if the assault is beyond what would be considered normal for the game then the perpetrator should be prosecuted. Clearly, a rugby player breaking an opponent's jaw with a punch is well outside of what would be considered normal for the game and he deserves a criminal conviction for it. It can be a grey area though. An example could be a footballer who is the victim of a late tackle then stamps on the opponent who has just attempted the tackle. Let's say no-one is injured but the stamping is clearly outside the normal part of the game. I would say no prosecution should happen but others may disagree. The punishment would likely be a sending off and a three match ban, which would be sufficient IMHO.
Typo from the Rugby Leaguer newspaper several years ago springs to mind, can’t remember the player but they went before the RFL disciplinary committee, the offence reported as …….going into tackle leading with a firearm, :ohmy: should have said forearm!

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
1635592885968.png

Are we allowed to post stuff like this nowadays?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Yup! I've been in information security (until I retired a few months back) for 30+ years, I have been awestruck by the ingenuity of humans to make any task easier, even if that means putting the entire organisation at risk.

I think you've missed the point.

If the burden of following the rules is unworkable, people will have to work around. A mixed symbol long password changed monthly, and different for maybe 6 to 10 systems cannot be remembered - this isn't people being sloppy; it just can't be done. It's gonna be written down of necessity.

Granted it shouldn't be on the keyboard, but written down at all is a problem.

I recall my password for the SAP finance system had to be changed monthly. I only used SAP for
my timesheet so every fourth use I had to change the f-ing password.

C R

Guru

If the burden of following the rules is unworkable, people will have to work around. A mixed symbol long password changed monthly, and different for maybe 6 to 10 systems cannot be remembered - this isn't people being sloppy; it just can't be done. It's gonna be written down of necessity.

I recall my password for the SAP finance system had to be changed monthly. I only used SAP for
Exactly my experience.

Alex321

Veteran

This is where things like Lastpass come into play. My employer uses it, and I also have a personal account, that I had for several years before starting working for this organisation.

You only then need to remember one password, and don't have anything written down where it might be found. But you are then, of course, relying on the security of Lastpass (or whichever similar service you use).

dodgy

I didn’t miss the point. The point I made is by making security too burdensome you encourage rule breaking. Which I think is what you’re also saying.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I didn’t miss the point. The point I made is by making security too burdensome you encourage rule breaking. Which I think is what you’re also saying.

In that case we're in violent agreement !

I'd thought you were blaming those writing the passwords down for being irresponsble

dodgy

In that case we're in violent agreement !

I'd thought you were blaming those writing the passwords down for being irresponsble
Not at all, I think I actually used the phrase the law of unintended consequences. It's something that is very well understood in my old trade, but occasionally not so well understood by newcomers to it.

Some years ago I was talking to a IT person at an IT conference - he was an expert on IT security

One of the site he audited annually was a VERY secure site - MOD or similar - he could look at the policies, minutes of meetings and all that
but he was NOT allowed to enter the building where the VDUs (it was a long time ago) were used - so his audit was always conditional - polices were great but he had no evidence they were applied on the floor
basically every user had a password that was changed every Monday - and could not be a real word and had to be about 10 characters long
and all that

After a few years of people complaining about this they let him on site after signing a load of forms

He went first thing on a Monday - deliberatly

Every desk had a piece of card on it and a pen and a blob of blu Tack

every VDU had a piece of card with the current password
and the blank piece was for this week's password

totally made the policy redundant - but it was the only way they could operate a large VDU floor with low paid data entry staff

My point is - a policy is useless is people can;t keep to it - or if it makes life difficult for them because humans are clever, intelligent and devious - and sooner or later someone will find a way to sidestep it and make it easier

Top Bottom