Calling forum gun experts. How does a dummy firearm kill?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Some years ago I was talking to a IT person at an IT conference - he was an expert on IT security

One of the site he audited annually was a VERY secure site - MOD or similar - he could look at the policies, minutes of meetings and all that
but he was NOT allowed to enter the building where the VDUs (it was a long time ago) were used - so his audit was always conditional - polices were great but he had no evidence they were applied on the floor
basically every user had a password that was changed every Monday - and could not be a real word and had to be about 10 characters long
and all that

After a few years of people complaining about this they let him on site after signing a load of forms

He went first thing on a Monday - deliberatly

Every desk had a piece of card on it and a pen and a blob of blu Tack

every VDU had a piece of card with the current password
and the blank piece was for this week's password

totally made the policy redundant - but it was the only way they could operate a large VDU floor with low paid data entry staff

My point is - a policy is useless is people can;t keep to it - or if it makes life difficult for them because humans are clever, intelligent and devious - and sooner or later someone will find a way to sidestep it and make it easier

Amateurs. Surely you should hide it under the mouse mat.

Amateurs. Surely you should hide it under the mouse mat.
No - after working in IT for my whole career I know that the standard is either stuck to the monitor
or selotaped to the desk

for extreme security levels it may be selotaped to the bottom of a top drawer - normally on the left

Around here it doesn;t really matter as 95% of passwords are Liverp00l or Evert0n
proper security would automatically disable any user who tries to set a password to ManUtd - such people cannot be trusted to use a computer:eek::eek:
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Alex321

Veteran
Around here it doesn;t really matter as 95% of passwords are Liverp00l or Evert0n
proper security would automatically disable any user who tries to set a password to ManUtd - such people cannot be trusted to use a computer:eek::eek:
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

In a previous job, we had the task of converting all PCs in the business from W95 to W7, as well as installing some other software and setting them all up to use dual monitors. Which was done by completely wiping and cloning from a base disk, then installing the user settings (which had first been backed up).

In order to back up all the user settings and documents/etc, we needed their passwords to do so. Password resets in that place were required every 30 days at most.

At a rough guess, about 25% of users had a password consisting of the current month and year in some form.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I used to service payment type machines in small independent grocers. Over 90% of the owners were Muslim and probably 3/4 of them used the same 4 digit password which was the numeric reference to a particular verse in the Koran. I used to enjoy seeing their faces when I'd say "I'm just going to enter your password - **** isn't it?"

Mind you, there was the grocer in Govan who had 1690, obviously a staunch Protestant Muslim :laugh:

I used to service payment type machines in small independent grocers. Over 90% of the owners were Muslim and probably 3/4 of them used the same 4 digit password which was the numeric reference to a particular verse in the Koran. I used to enjoy seeing their faces when I'd say "I'm just going to enter your password - **** isn't it?"

Mind you, there was the grocer in Govan who had 1690, obviously a staunch Protestant Muslim :laugh:
4 digit passsword

Oh Good

When I was teaching in a Primary school I had a lessons where they had a password cracking system (In Scratch) and worked out how fast it cracked a password
then they changed it to include letters
then capitals
etc etc

in showed then why you need a combination of diffenent types of characters.

even with Scratch - which was massively slow - a 4 digt password was cracked in seconds
one with numbers and letter - uppercase and lowercase - normally resulted in the kids getting bored

just 4 numbers is just dumb

winjim

Smash the cistern
I don't think it's any great secret that the admin password for the software provided by one of the major analyser manufacturers is the address of their headquarters in Palo Alto CA.

Alex321

Veteran
I don't think it's any great secret that the admin password for the software provided by one of the major analyser manufacturers is the address of their headquarters in Palo Alto CA.
Indeed. And for a long time, the default sys password for Oracle databases was change_on_install - which many people didn't. In recent years, they force a password to be entered when creating a database, rather than having a default.

Reactions: C R

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Indeed. And for a long time, the default sys password for Oracle databases was change_on_install - which many people didn't. In recent years, they force a password to be entered when creating a database, rather than having a default.
I remember reading a book by Richard Feynman, an American theoretical physicist who worked for a while on top secret projects at the Pentagon. He amused himself in off-hours by safe-cracking, which had the side-benefit of giving him access to data he needed from colleagues while they weren't around. I can't remember the exact number, but I think it was something like half of the safes he cracked - and this is top, top tech, for the nation's most vital secrets - weren't that challenging, since the combination had never been changed from the factory default.

Reactions: C R

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Going massively off topic to passwords

Years ago, a guy was leaving and I realised he had set up one of the test databases and was the only person with the password. He blushed and was a bit coy about giving it to me. It actually wasn't all that embarrassing. It was Kylie69 Could have been a lot worse.

A similar thing happened when I was called by a previous employer for an admin password I'd not handed over. I rather naughtily gave them a wrong password, gave them 10 minutes to try it and curse me, then called back with the real one.

Many years ago a school I was working in had a new wifi system installed - by a professional company
and they gave up laptops to use it on

we had loads of problems - and as an ex IT person (I had moved to be an IT teacher) I ended up having to try to sort it out
the Local Authority IT people checked and said it is all working fine - which it wasn't - and wouldn;t give me access to the the access point to get more information.
I found the access points and their make and model - and found their IP addresses - then looked up the default userids and passwords on the WWW - and discovered they had not changed the a single password or userid on the whole system:eek:
should have known because they also had setup every teacher on the admin system, which contains a lot of confidential data, with a userid of their name - and a password of the school postcode - yup all the same - at the start we were not even allowed to change the passwords!!!

and this was a professional company and department!!

Was it Nadine Dorries that had her entire department using her one email account etc ?

We are doomed I tell you.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Just read that Robert De Niro requested a live cartridge in the revolver for the scene in The Deer Hunter in which he subjects John Cazale's character to an impromptu game of Russian roulette. Cazale obsessively rechecked the gun before each take to make sure that the live round wasn't next in the chamber.

Just read that Robert De Niro requested a live cartridge in the revolver for the scene in The Deer Hunter in which he subjects John Cazale's character to an impromptu game of Russian roulette. Cazale obsessively rechecked the gun before each take to make sure that the live round wasn't next in the chamber.
I would have taken the cartridge out:
"Here you go Bob, you hang onto it ready for your go."

T4tomo

Legendary Member
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-59499237

Alec Baldwin says he "didn't pull the trigger" of the gun that fatally wounded cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on the set of his film, Rust.
It is believed to have discharged when he removed it from a holster during rehearsals for a forthcoming scene.

That is not even credible. How the feck was it pointing at her head if he was taking it out of a holster?

Trying to get his defence in via the media, rather than where it should be in a court. No wonder the US justice system is fecked.

Top Bottom