calling MP3 experts...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KitsuneAndy

andyoxon said:
I need a 'basic' MP3 player 1-4GB, with DAB radio, or FM tuner. :biggrin:
Any recommendations sony, samsung, philips?
What is the best format -Direct USB or cable?
What is DRM 9?

I'd go with the Creative Zen Stone, cheap, easy to use has FM Radio, comes in 1 or 2GB I believe.

Direct USB or Cable - Doesnt really make a difference, it's just how you connect it to your PC.

DRM is evil. It means you can only play the music on the device that holds the correct license. So if you pay for music over say ITunes you can only play it on specific devices. Say your PC and your Ipod. Should your Ipod break (or the battery inevitably dies) and you choose to buy a competitor's product, none of the music you bought over Itunes will work on it. Unless of course you pay them extra for the DRM free version in the first place.

Kovu

Über Member
Not an expert, but ok here is my few things on it.

I personally don't like I-pods, I think they are overrated and very expensive. I'd go for a zen if I were you, they are supposdly relaible. I have a zen stone, very basic, 1 GB only 30.

OP
OP
andyoxon

andyoxon

Guru
Thanks. The Zen Stone Plus 2gb appears to have to FM tuner. I think I would like at least an FM tuner - DAB seems not as common/more pricey.

Is DRM only applicable to music downloads?

Does the Zen stone come with software to allow you to transfer tracks from CDs to the player?

Andy

KitsuneAndy

andyoxon said:
Thanks. The Zen Stone Plus 2gb appears to have to FM tuner. I think I would like at least an FM tuner - DAB seems not as common/more pricey.

Is DRM only applicable to music downloads?

Does the Zen stone come with software to allow you to transfer tracks from CDs to the player?

Andy

The Creative software is a bit naff really, but you can do all that with Windows Media Player, either using the 'sync device' option or just using it to rip files to MP3 and then dragging and dropping.

DRM is generally only applicable to legitimate downloads, there is an option within a lot of ripping software (like Windows Media Player) to enable/disable this when you convert your own tracks.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The iPod is designed for computer illiterates like me. Go for something less "packaged" if you are confident with computers.

I've really enjoyed my Creative Zen Nano Plus - 1GB with FM radio. Easy to transfer MP3 files to it using Windows Explorer - connects to the PC as an external drive using a USB cable.

ajevans

Big plug for the Cowon D2.

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/digitalmusic/0,39029994,49288114,00.htm

- 2Gb or 4Gb internal memory with an SD slot if you want to expand the memory.
- Great sound quality
- Plays videos
- Plug and play, you don't need any crappy file transfer software
- FM radio

Cowon may not be a household name, but regularly trounces the big names in terms of sound quality and features on major tech site reviews and Which magazine.

[Edit: Forgot to mention the ridiculously long battery life of 40 hours]

NickM

Veteran
DAB chips are power hungry - that's why portable players still use FM.

One caveat re. MP3 players: even when they come from the same manufacturer the means of accessing them seems to be inconsistent. I bought a Creative Zen V Plus 4GB, but it required Windows XP (which I don't have, and don't want). I can create MP3 files from digital or analogue sources with Cool Edit, and don't want Creative's software (or Windows Media Player) on my PC either. Unlike twowheeledwriter with his Zen Nano Plus, I could find no way of accessing the V Plus player as a drive in Windows Explorer to put music on it, so I sent it back and got a refund.

KitsuneAndy

NickM said:
DAB chips are power hungry - that's why portable players still use FM.

One caveat re. MP3 players: even when they come from the same manufacturer the means of accessing them seems to be inconsistent. I bought a Creative Zen V Plus 4GB, but it required Windows XP (which I don't have, and don't want). I can create MP3 files from digital or analogue sources with Cool Edit, and don't want Creative's software (or Windows Media Player) on my PC either. Unlike twowheeledwriter with his Zen Nano Plus, I could find no way of accessing the V Plus player as a drive in Windows Explorer to put music on it, so I sent it back and got a refund.

Sounds like it just needed new firmware. Had to upgrade the firmware on my Zen to get it to work on Vista.

Top Bottom