Calling people who store their bikes in sheds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

By the time you have paid for any kind of construction, hoops, loops, locks, etc which comply with insurance small print - and the insurance on top of that - you'd be better taking the chance of it getting nicked and just replacing it if it does!

OP
OP
Black Sheep
The plan is to make she shed a pain to get into without it looking more than a shed, if security is visable then it almost advertises that there is something of value.

e-rider

crappy member
I have an 8' x 10' shed - it's amazing! Get one with a real wooden roof and floor, not this manufactured board rubbish. Expect to pay £500+ for one this size.

I was going to mention my security which is pretty impressive, but I think my insurance company wouldn't like me telling everyone exactly what I have if I had to make a claim in the future - might give people ideas!

OP
OP
Black Sheep
looking at 6ft x 5ft i think, small garden and dont want it to be all shed.

any sugestions on where to get one from, homebase / b&q all have unscrewable hinges on

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Black Sheep said:
looking at 6ft x 5ft i think, small garden and dont want it to be all shed.

any sugestions on where to get one from, homebase / b&q all have unscrewable hinges on

You can replace the hinge bolts with carriage bolts, they're unscrewable from the outside (provided you don't put them in the wrong way round!)

Also you can replace the hasp and staple with a three-point lock and fit some frame hooks, that will give you at least five-point locking on each door.

stephec

Legendary Member
User,

Have you cleaned your shed up especially for that photo? That's one mighty clean set up you've got there! :smile:

It could go on the sheds version of MTV Cribs looking that good, you must have had Kim and Aggie in to do some work for you?

Davidc

Guru
Had my best ever bike nicked from a shed. (OK it was 1974)

I've only once kept a bike in a shed since, but have had other things in sheds, garden tools, lawnmowers etc.

I fit alarms to sheds and garages. Very loud ones. You can buy them or design one and fit it, or if you don't know how to do it yourself pay a trusted friend to . Those alarm mines are ideal as well. I also fit alarms to bikes (see ebay, or you can put an alarm padlock on them)

Unfortunately it's illegal to go any further!

Good advice to try to go for more than 6 feet long. 2 metres or 7 feet are needed to really be able to use it easily.

Mille

phil_hg_uk said:
Yhey said that a wooden shed was not an imovable object

I'd like to see them move my 18' by 10' monster :becool:

I sell the Asgard bike storage units, metal wins out, they are the kind of thing thieves choose to leave alone, too much bother, insurance approved by most companies.

Going away from security, I would line a shed with some sort of boarding if you can. It keeps it much drier and snug.
Use old doors (free from the dump) and just nail the along the wall. I have done both my wooden garage and shed with old doors. (Roof too) It is now fine for storing a tent in it. Keeps the frost and heat out.

Davidc

Guru
Over The Hill said:
Going away from security, I would line a shed with some sort of boarding if you can. It keeps it much drier and snug.
Use old doors (free from the dump) and just nail the along the wall. I have done both my wooden garage and shed with old doors. (Roof too) It is now fine for storing a tent in it. Keeps the frost and heat out.

Agree, but make sure the doors are free of woodworm (beetles) before you use them! I 've used old floorboards from a demolition for the same job.

If you can get some free then shove insulation between the shed wall and boarding. It'll keep it warmer if you need to work in there. (Certainly helps keep frost out when a shed gets used for germinating and forcing vegetables!)

JDoughnut

I was serisosly paranoid about getting my bikes nicked and I messed around looking at every possible security shed. I looked at Band Q etc.. and some sepcialst ones as well.

Bought one of these asgardsheds after finding lots of good reviews in mags and on bike forums and finally a guy at work bought one. www.asgardsss.co.uk Totally bomb proof and you can get 3 bikes in the one I have. Though I only have 2 in mine as 3 are a little snug and I value my paint work. they do bigger ones at the same price. Room for bags, pumps and shoes as well. Here is a pic of mine as of this morning with 2 bikes and a shelf full of maintenance stuff.

Warning!! You better be good with a screwdriver.. theres 200 odd screws in it.

Also, no planning permission is needed for sheds. Check with local authority if in doubt. But you don't

Top Bottom