Calling serving/ex Royal Navy.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
Just been watching the parade on TV for the Queen's Jubilee. It reminded me of something I was told years ago about the Navy and drill. I was told that sailors don't stamp their feet, supposedly so as not to wake up seamen sleeping below decks whilst off watch.

Is this true or just a wicked rumour.

subaqua

What’s the point
[QUOTE 1855330, member: 76"]Nah, it's the delicate little flowers all have soft lickle feet, and their Mums wouldn't like it if the nasty instructor man made them stamp their feet. They are only allowed to stamp their feet in the Navy if their Hot Chocolate is too hot at beddy bo's time.[/quote]

yeah and never ever trust a bloke that can produce a dress at sea at a moments notice.

asterix

Comrade Member
Just been watching the parade on TV for the Queen's Jubilee. It reminded me of something I was told years ago about the Navy and drill. I was told that sailors don't stamp their feet, supposedly so as not to wake up seamen sleeping below decks whilst off watch.

Hello sailor..

Arch

Married to Night Train

My Dad was Fleet Air Arm, and I suspect he woke a few below decks with some of his landings...

10a.jpg
10b.jpg
20.jpg

Still, he managed his first jet carrier landing alright. Note the crowds watching from every safe vantage point to see what he did...

27c.jpg

[QUOTE 1855330, member: 76"]Nah, it's the delicate little flowers all have soft lickle feet, and their Mums wouldn't like it if the nasty instructor man made them stamp their feet. They are only allowed to stamp their feet in the Navy if their Hot Chocolate is too hot at beddy bo's time.[/quote]

Actually its more about common sense...

Why stamp your feet and make a fuss when you can simply just bimble around in a natural way.

It is always the same, Navy gets on with it quietly, and efficiently while the Army makes lots of fuss, noise, show and arrives in second place!

These "Engineer reports" and replies are ubiquitous and claimed by most flying organisations.

This version was from the Fleet Air Arm many years ago

Pilots: Left inside main tire almost needs replacement.
Engineers: Almost replaced left inside main tire.

Pilots: Test flight OK, except auto-land very rough.
Engineers: Auto-land not installed on this aircraft.

Pilots: Something loose in cockpit.
Engineers: Something tightened in cockpit.

Pilots: Dead bugs on windshield.
Engineers: Live bugs on back-order.

Pilot: Noise coming from under instrument panel. Sounds like a midget pounding on something with a hammer.
Engineers: Took hammer away from midget

Pilots: Autopilot in altitude-hold mode produces a 200 feet per minute descent.
Engineers: Cannot reproduce problem on ground.

Pilots: Evidence of leak on right main landing gear.
Engineers: Evidence removed.

Pilots: Friction locks cause throttle levers to stick.
Engineers: That's what they're for.

Pilots: Suspected crack in windshield.
Engineers: Suspect you're right.

Pilots: Number 3 engine missing.
Engineers: Engine found on right wing after brief search.

Pilots: Aircraft handles funny.
Engineers: Aircraft warned to straighten up, fly right, and be serious.

Pilots: Target radar hums
Engineers: Reprogrammed target radar with lyrics.

Pilots: Mouse in cockpit.
Engineers: Cat installed.

byegad

Legendary Member
I've always admired the Royal Navy.

If you're in the Army and things get sticky you can opt to run away.

In the RAF, if you avoid actually flying, you can salute the nice officer types as they jaunt off into danger and take cover if the enemy officer types turn up while your officers are away.

BUT. Join the Navy and the nice Captain person can drive you into danger and there's nowhere to go. Unless you join the Robert Maxwell long distance swimming club!

Like I said, I've always admired the Royal Navy.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I blame the rascal who laid these ropes across the deck, someone was bound to trip.:sad:

In this one, he's already missed the arrester wire, and about to trip over the final safety net. Look to the left of the nose, across the exhaust outlets, at the just sheared off prop blade...

21.jpg

Most of his photos had pencilled captions on the back. One simply said "Whoops!"

Gary E

Veteran
I've always admired the Royal Navy.

If you're in the Army and things get sticky you can opt to run away.

In the RAF, if you avoid actually flying, you can salute the nice officer types as they jaunt off into danger and take cover if the enemy officer types turn up while your officers are away.

BUT. Join the Navy and the nice Captain person can drive you into danger and there's nowhere to go. Unless you join the Robert Maxwell long distance swimming club!

Like I said, I've always admired the Royal Navy.
Speechless. Do you even watch the news? run away?

Top Bottom