Calling the Scots... route advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I may be spending part of the Xmas/New Year period in the Borders (not sure where yet, it is just a vague idea) - but wondered if anyone had any recommendations for road rides - 40-60 miles or so would be good.
Ta
Spinney

It's a big area, loads of great cycling.
The 4 Abbeys route is a decent ride of 55 miles.
http://www.cyclescottishborders.com/route/4-abbeys/

Lots of other route suggestions on that site as well.

Brandane

Legendary Member
The route around Meggets and Talla as featured on that link is a great route - if you are partial to a wee climb!
It can also be done on a loop from the south, e.g. start at Moffat, take Selkirk road to St. Mary's Loch, cut over Meggets/Talla, then south on A701 past Devil's Beef Tub back to Moffat. About 50 miles IIRC.. A701 is not normally a busy road, but cars that do use it can be fast moving.

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Thanks Reiver. I like the kind of country in your avatar! I like all sorts really - in fact a ride with some woods, moorland, river etc has nice variety. Rolling rather than flat or mountainous, but the odd hill is OK.
Not positive we are going there yet, so a pointer to the general area is fine - I'll get the maps out when I know more and maybe pick some brains again!

The route around Meggets and Talla as featured on that link is a great route - if you are partial to a wee climb!
It can also be done on a loop from the south, e.g. start at Moffat, take Selkirk road to St. Mary's Loch, cut over Meggets/Talla, then south on A701 past Devil's Beef Tub back to Moffat. About 50 miles IIRC.. A701 is not normally a busy road, but cars that do use it can be fast moving.

Are you trying to kill her!? ;)

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
[QUOTE 3408583, member: 9609"]I think if I was going to try and impress someone with a cycling tour of some mixed Borders countryside I would go for the following. On show would be some Staley Homes, a classic Borders town, some very impressive river crossings of Tweed and Teviot, rich farmland, to poor upland pasture and a detour into the Cheviots, and on 90% you would hardly see another vehicle - 45mile 2800'ascent maplink[/QUOTE]
Looks good, thanks!

[QUOTE 3408583, member: 9609"]I think if I was going to try and impress someone with a cycling tour of some mixed Borders countryside I would go for the following. On show would be some Staley Homes, a classic Borders town, some very impressive river crossings of Tweed and Teviot, giant redwoods, rich farmland, to poor upland pasture and a detour into the Cheviots, and on 90% you would hardly see another vehicle - 45mile 2800'ascent maplink[/QUOTE]

Great looking route - the only slight amendment I would make would be to go through Smailholm turn left and then turn left again over Scott's View (look for Bermersyde on the map) and then rejoin the route (the climb over Scott's View from that side is gentle and the view well worth the slight detour, especially if it's a clear day.)

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I don't suppose this year-end will be the only time I get myself to the Borders, so all suggestions welcome! But as you say, a 4000 ft ascent job might be better later in the year!

Top Bottom