Calling Yorkshire folk of all persuasions

What's your preferred date?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
That's a great photo Arch (Trev is next to Cathy and Craigwend next to Velocidad;)). Thanks for the tea and cake. And thanks everyone for another great day out.

Arch

Married to Night Train
HelenD123 said:
That's a great photo Arch (Trev is next to Cathy and Craigwend next to Velocidad;)). Thanks for the tea and cake. And thanks everyone for another great day out.

D'oh! Apologies to them. I won't go back and correct it, I'll leave myself looking stupid....

Uncle Phil, ok, Selby isn't great. There is a cafe with a Penny Farthing shaped plant holder in the window though...

I was looking at the contours on the map, and working out the flattest way to Castle Howard - flat being relative of course.

Must get the trike set up again. I'll be no slower up hill (IE, very slow, just like on two wheels), but I'll get much more fun out of the downs!:sad:

OP
OP
Amanda P

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Arch said:
Selby isn't great. There is a cafe with a Penny Farthing shaped plant holder in the window though...

A somewhat desperate and weak attempt at justifying your earlier statement, but we'll let that pass... There may be sensitive souls who are hurt by any denigration of Selby (although if that's because they live there, they won't be living there long.. or at all).

I was looking at the contours on the map, and working out the flattest way to Castle Howard - flat being relative of course.

There isn't a flattest way. Only some slightly less vertical than others. But it's worth it when you get there. I reccommend passing through Thornton-le-Clay and Foston, and then up the hill to the monument at the southern end of the Avenue.

It's slightly less killing than Bulmer Bank or Terrington Bank, and the monumnet is a good excuse for a rest at the top. Then you're cycling the avenue itself in the direction its designer (Vanbrugh?) intended.

If I am involved in another ride out, I have plans for a route involving just that. There'd be more tea stops, partly because (a) that's our manor, and we know all the tea shops, and (:sad: because there are more tea shops.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Uncle Phil said:
If I am involved in another ride out, I have plans for a route involving just that. There'd be more tea stops, partly because (a) that's our manor, and we know all the tea shops, and (:biggrin: because there are more tea shops.

Yeah, you know, I don't know enough tea rooms round York - is it me, or a lack of tearooms. Up at Berwick and Wooler, I can reel off a list of dozens (and visit at least three in one day). Round York seems to be lacking a bit.

BTW, I've just read a novel that claimed there was a castle in Selby. The rest of it was about as factually duff as well...

postman

Legendary Member
A really nice group of people there.Want to be part of the next one.We are having a ride out tomorrow guess where.YORK.So i just missed you by 24 hours.

So look out for postman in Tykes Tea Room in Tadcaster tomorrow,just might have a tea.
Then try to find somewhere cheaper than Reeds coffee shop for main scoff.

hulver

Fat bloke on a bike
Uncle Phil said:
It's slightly less killing than Bulmer Bank or Terrington Bank, and the monumnet is a good excuse for a rest at the top. Then you're cycling the avenue itself in the direction its designer (Vanbrugh?) intended.

If I am involved in another ride out, I have plans for a route involving just that. There'd be more tea stops, partly because (a) that's our manor, and we know all the tea shops, and (:biggrin: because there are more tea shops.

Terrington Bank is great fun, for going down. It's been a while since I've been out that way.

johni said:
No longer a non-CCer! Thanks all for a great day out!
Cathy and I really enjoyed the ride and all the great company!

Hello mate how are you both after the ride?

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
HelenD123 said:

To be fair I was in disguise (inspired by Arch's buff-bank robber look at the pub!) with glasses & skull cap on.

Thoroughly enjoyed the day & the ride,

felt I could have done another 50 odd miles at the end of the day; however I actually felt 50 odd this morning when I was woken up:blush:

My top speed of 37.1 was quite impressive / scary down the biggest hill, though I reckon Spandex notion his rolling speed was higher due to thinner / higher pressure tyres was due to the size / weight of his calf muscles which are akin to Popeye's forearms:evil:

Thank's again to the organisers for the ride, Arch for the cake & Shaun for the lift (& website:biggrin:)

craigwend said:
To be fair I was in disguise (inspired by Arch's buff-bank robber look at the pub!) with glasses & skull cap on.

Thoroughly enjoyed the day & the ride,

felt I could have done another 50 odd miles at the end of the day; however I actually felt 50 odd this morning when I was woken up:blush:

My top speed of 37.1 was quite impressive / scary down the biggest hill, though I reckon Spandex notion his rolling speed was higher due to thinner / higher pressure tyres was due to the size / weight of his calf muscles which are akin to Popeye's forearms:biggrin:

Thank's again to the organisers for the ride, Arch for the cake & Shaun for the lift (& website:biggrin:)

;):blush:

Shaun

Founder
Excellent day out ... and the ice cream ... ohhh yyyyessssss!!!!!

Another cracking day out and we were soooo lucky to have the weather on our side too.

Great company, lovely scenery, tasty pub lunch, and the longest ride I've had in months.

When's the next one?

Cheers,
Shaun :blush:

PS. Hello johni

Shaun

Founder
craigwend said:
... due to the size / weight of his calf muscles which are akin to Popeye's forearms:evil:

Not 'arf - I meant to ask Dylan what he puts on his Frosties in a morning to get legs like that, but was scared he might say something like "Training Shaun, just lots and lots of hard, hard, HARD training"!!! ;):biggrin::biggrin:

Then again, if I had calf muscles like Spandex - Salty's flapjack would've been mine - ALL MINE!!!! :blush:

Arch

Married to Night Train
johni said:
No longer a non-CCer! Thanks all for a great day out!
Cathy and I really enjoyed the ride and all the great company!

Hi! Glad you've joined us! (Bwa ha ha ha, you are one of us now!)

Postman - I fear you'll already be out so this is too late, but there are lots of good places for lunch that aren't Reeds. Baileys (sp?) is down the road (head towards the river from the front of the Minster, it's on the left after the crossroads), and is a bit characterless, but usually plenty of room and their all day breakfast is good. Or at those crossroads, turn left to Bullivants (opposite McDonalds.) - smaller, more tea-shoppy. Good cinnamon toast.

For pub grub, the Maltings (by Lendal Bridge) does big portions (lunchtime only, and avoid the curry and chilli unless you like it HOT), or the Royal Oak on Goodramgate (bottom end, near Monk Bar), which is my local, and does good food all day, and fairly cheap too, in a proper local pub atmosphere.

One day, we should all save up and take over Betty's for an hour or two. Posh, expensive, touristy, but you get your cakes on those tiered stands, and the waitresses wear proper pinnies. Imagine us lot turning up!;)

Top Bottom