calories in v calories out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

r0bbti

Can anyone tell me how many calories you burn up while cycling - I know it depends on speed, body weight etc but I have looked at various websites and get wildly different answers. Say 1hour at 15mph on a hybrid? Then I can convert it into replacement KitKats, haha. ;)

zizou

Veteran
1 hour at 15 mph will be approx 700 calories i think

http://caloriecount.about.com is a pretty good site for tracking what you are eating and how much exercise etc

Garz

Squat Member
I round down what the computers say to equate roughly to an hour on the bike being circa 600.

jimboalee

Garmin Edge is pretty close, but it assumes the air temperature is 20 C, you are wearing racing lycra, it is a Roadrace bike and there is NO wind in the air.

How accurate do you want to be?

1 stick of KitKat.... ?

+/- 25 kCals ....?

jimboalee

jay clock said:
try 32 per km. that is a good average

That's close for Hybrid speeds. :biggrin:

20 C, NO wind and Lycra shorts & Jersey of course.

Compensate with all the necessary 'frig factors' and you'll be more accurate.

Trevrev

Veteran
According to my heart rate monitor, on my 7 mile commute i used to burn anything between 350 to 390 calories...Trouble is, knowing things like that, it then starts to take over your life. I got to the stage where counting calories was a big part of my day. I became obsessed with it.
The monitor is now unused as i'm happier not knowing. As long as i stay slim.

davidg

Trevrev said:
According to my heart rate monitor, on my 7 mile commute i used to burn anything between 350 to 390 calories...Trouble is, knowing things like that, it then starts to take over your life. I got to the stage where counting calories was a big part of my day. I became obsessed with it.
The monitor is now unused as i'm happier not knowing. As long as i stay slim.

I do the same length and my polar says around 450....
it depends a lot on weight and how unfit you are!

andyhunter

you can only estimate, unless you have alot of cash to buy the right equipment to measure excatly threw bike cadence, speed, heart beat, wind speed etc just stick to just slighty over needing around 2500kcal a day :biggrin:, unless ur going to pump sum serious miles and go flat to the mat

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I find that I lose about 1.25 pounds of fat on a hilly '200' (200 km or 125 mile audax) and about 1.0 pound on a hilly imperial century. That's allowing for any losses due to dehydration and is despite eating and drinking quite a lot on those rides. That's about 3,500 calories more than taken in per 100 hilly miles or 35 calories per hilly mile. On shorter rides I wouldn't eat or drink as much so it might be more like 50 calories per hilly mile.

It's much easier to avoid Kit Kats than it is to burn them off! :hello:

Trevrev

Veteran
ColinJ said:
It's much easier to avoid Kit Kats than it is to burn them off! ;)

Because i have a healthy diet during the day, with not many calories, i was suffering with feeling faint when i got home from my commute.
Thats when my wife suggested a bar of something before i left work.
As much as i hate sweet things, Mr. Crunchie does the job well !!!
Unless someone can suggest a healthier option.

Top Bottom