Calzone - top tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Why only their third best? I think you deserve better than that.
Maybe if I do a good calzone, I could get an upgrade..??

Oh no - pressures on now.. :wacko:

contadino

Veteran
Where I'm from pizza calzone are called panzerotti. It comes in 4 varieties: con o senza speck (with or without ham) and Al forno o fritta (baked or fried). They're a magical thing late on a balmy summer night.

I remember the kids having calzone in Sardinia a couple of years back, gigantic things, would stretch across two normal dinner plates! Not for me though, a pizza can not be mucked around with.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Where I'm from pizza calzone are called panzerotti. It comes in 4 varieties: con o senza speck (with or without ham) and Al forno o fritta (baked or fried). They're a magical thing late on a balmy summer night.
Do you know if baked first, and then fried??

I can't imagine it would cook through enough by just frying, from raw..

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
So hungry now, dreaming of that folded dough. Whenever I’m in Edinburgh I can still go back to my youth and visit Gordons trattoria, who make the perfect calzone.
Ahhh...

Not too much moisture within, or a steamy sog will ensue.
Four fifths of your tomato sauce ought to be saved as a fruity slurry to douse the crisp exterior, while the innards creak to bursting with ham, onion, Italian sausage and mozzarella.

Save me a crust

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
So hungry now, dreaming of that folded dough. Whenever I’m in Edinburgh I can still go back to my youth and visit Gordons trattoria, who make the perfect calzone.
Ahhh...

Not too much moisture within, or a steamy sog will ensue.
Four fifths of your tomato sauce ought to be saved as a fruity slurry to douse the crisp exterior, while the innards creak to bursting with ham, onion, Italian sausage and mozzarella.

Save me a crust
Ok so don't overfill, or it will get soggy.

I have to confess I do tend to overload my pizzas..

I'm sure they'd be highly disapproved of by the purists.

It's just there are so many yummy things you can have on top.

Maybe I should make a separate sauce using surplus ingredients to have alongside..

Tribansman

Veteran
This thread's grate, it really delivers for me.

I thought I'd be a bit pun-crusty, but am in the calzone on this topic. I'm feeling inspiration from my head to-matoes.

On-topic: try a Hawaiian calzone, but don't do what I did and burn it. My oven was at 230c, so maybe try aloha temperature. Also go easy on the salt or you'll need lots of water and then spend most of the evening 'onolulu and feel awful toMaui

Seriously: jackfruit/quorn, leeks, mustard and a whole pot of oatly garlic and cucumber spread. Brush with melted vitalite, bake for half hour with finely ground nutritional yeast sprinkled over for the last 10 mins. If you want to be really indulgent, finish off by frying in salted mushroom butter (vitalite) for 5 mins on a fierce heat

Less faff but just as nice: stewed baked beans so they go thick, with lots of chilli and huge wedges of flat mushroom

Tribansman

Veteran
You're missing out! Simpler and tastier than the crap a lot of people throw on their pizza/in their calzone. Sauce and filling all in a tin, works for me.

How about a cheese and beans omelette? Equally divine 🤤

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Do you know if baked first, and then fried??

I can't imagine it would cook through enough by just frying, from raw..

I’ve never made them but the recipe (Google translate will help if you don’t read Italian) says they’re only fried and they should be done in a deep pot in oil at 170 degrees as soon as they’ve been assembled.

(edited to add missing word)

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
So I usually craft a couple of pizzas from scratch for the farm crew on our Friday Pizza and film night.

One vegan, one often a bit fishy.

This week I thought I'd try something a bit different.

Calzone are basically folded over pizza - Cornish pasty style.

Any tips or tricks, for ideal dough thickness, or fantastic fillings??
I'm deeply troubled by this.....

how do you do a vegan pizza when vegan cheese all tastes/smells like sic?

ditto fishy pizza - fish and cheese are not great bed fellows either?

as I type this, I'm thinking smoked haddock and leek and spinach would actually make a good calzone and could stand a bit of cheddar with it

Top Bottom