Calzone - top tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
When I worked just outside Warrington one of the lads used to swear by the Calzone at an Italian Stockton Health.

They were that filling, I had to take half of it home - be warned !

My advice for calzone is to visit Saporita in Norwich, the best calzone north of Naples.

Tribansman

Veteran
When carbo loading for a big tour, how about a Calztwo (double carbs)? I reckon a macaroni cheese filled calzone would be delicious, with a few cherry tomatoes and bits of broccoli thrown in for a bit of flavour variation

contadino

Veteran
Do you know if baked first, and then fried??

I can't imagine it would cook through enough by just frying, from raw..

Yes, just fried. I only had one once and found it a bit yuck. Baked ones are fantastic but tricky. They smell so good it's really difficult to wait for them to cool down enough to be safe. The filling is nuclear hot straight out of the oven.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Yes, just fried. I only had one once and found it a bit yuck. Baked ones are fantastic but tricky. They smell so good it's really difficult to wait for them to cool down enough to be safe. The filling is nuclear hot straight out of the oven.

Yes i'm fearful of the molten lava filling effect.

A bit like toasted sandwiches..

I guess a jug of something cooling on hand would be appropriate ...

And cos its Friday !!

It can be cheering as well as cooling :smile:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
fish and cheese are not great bed fellows either?

Have you never had Cod Mornay? It's fab!

https://lmgtfy.app/?q=fish+cheese+sauce

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Stewed baked beans. Justa like mamma used to a make. Oh my! Certainly quelled my appetite

Borlotti?

That kind of thing??
I’ve never made them but the recipe (Google translate will help if you don’t read Italian) says they’re only fried and they should be done in a deep pot in oil at 170 degrees as soon as they’ve been assembled.

(edited to add missing word)

Yikes I'm not frying them.. Too much danger and stinky hot oil..

Maybe just a very well oiled baking tray..

These will clearly not be the 'real deal'

I'm deeply troubled by this.....

how do you do a vegan pizza when vegan cheese all tastes/smells like sic?

ditto fishy pizza - fish and cheese are not great bed fellows either?

as I type this, I'm thinking smoked haddock and leek and spinach would actually make a good calzone and could stand a bit of cheddar with it

Nearly always have sardines, or at leat anchovies.

Agree re most vegan cheese..
One good reason not to be a vegan.

Sometimes I make a blended cashew nut and basil sort of slurry, to drizzle over.. That's quite nice..
My advice for calzone is to visit Saporita in Norwich, the best calzone north of Naples.
It's a bit far for tonight..
Maybe later in the year.

I've never cycled anywhere as flat as Norfolk before.
But I did like Norwich :okay:.

I went to a nice hipster ish burger place with my son, when he was considering going to art school there.

OK dough is rising nicely, time to get chopping those fillings..

Wish me luck.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
It worked.

I rolled out the dough pretty thin, and used tomato reduction, diced pepper, onion, garlic, olives, artichoke, mushrooms and mozzarella (there's a not too bad grated vegan type) and pesto.

(I understand the purists would consider this too many toppings at once) .

Folded it over sealed the edges and baked for 20 mins or so - four big ones in total.

Very nice, and was appreciated.

But of course, it doesn't have the same crunchy bubbled cheesey topping as an open pizza.

Still an interesting experiment for the novelty value.

And a nice bottle of Spanish* red to go with.

* Sorry i prefer Spanish over Italian..

Thanks for all the tips and info. :okay:

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
No photo?

Soz

Too busy eating last night for photo, and isn't taking pictures of your dins considered frightfully infra dig, these days ??

If I get back to the farm from having my astra zeneca mind meld injection, before the others have polished off the 'spare' I'll try to get a pic.. :okay:

Top Bottom