Cambridge Hills Road cycle lane/track hybrid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martinclive

Über Member
Not sure but I came down the similar Huntington road one this morning - ramps at the floating bus stops are way too steep (could be deliberate to slow cyclists but I suspect just incompetence) and I had to hop onto the road to go round another cyclist - I did not fancy getting back up the beveled curb in the heavy rain so rode on the road for a way to a safer point - I really don't like the design at all (again it's only one way into the city)

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
That surprises me @martinclive - was the slower rider wobbling around the lane? The kerb looks fairly benign but f I had to overflow onto the next lane, I'd probably play it safe and "take the lane", move out and then turn to cross the kerb at a steep angle, treating it like the hazardous non-flush round-rect kerbs Norfolk puts across most carriageway/cycleway joints.

The two bus stop ramps I crossed seemed OK but I don't understand why they're so short - it seems like it would have been cheaper to have not dug out the verge and taken the cycle track up to footway level (or very near) past the bus stop.

I'm unsure about the design. It's better than what was there before (was it a bus lane and a 1.2m cycle lane?) and it seems better than London's first attempts (I've not tried the latest ones). I think I prefer bi-directional high-kerb wide shared foot/cycleways (which I don't think Cambridge has any of?) but I wait to see how collision figures and cycling numbers rise or fall.

martinclive

Über Member
She had panniers and was at the outside half of the lane - seemed unwise to undertake her (I know I could have waited too)

Agree on the re-mount - probably a bit paranoid having had a front wheel go out from under me on a similar (if larger) kerb in the wet - the steep angle is definitely the answer - would be fine if dry anyway

The bus ramps are short and that probably adds to the effect - probably ok at 10-15mph but we sometimes get 20+ down there and that would be a problem - if it makes anyone default to the road it has failed......

Before it was the same but just a white line cycle lane - so apart from having to go round stopped buses, it's a lot of money for little benefit IMHO

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

I agree that the Huntingdon Road bus ramps are probably wrong if they're not usable at a typical relaxed speed (say 18mph) when the way ahead is clear - could you report the fault at www.FixMyStreet.com or similar, please? And if they respond that they're deliberately unsafe at speed, I'm sure CamCycle or similar would love to know!

I'm not sure I agree it's a lot of money for the benefit. I rode the old narrow lanes but I much prefer the wider lanes because it makes cycling more sociable and easier - you can usually pass in-lane, notwithstanding pannieristes hugging the outside edge. Could you have talked to her and asked to pass in-lane?

It seems a lot of money at £4.1million for a few miles of widened cycle lanes, but widening carriageways is usually much more expensive (£69m for 2.5 miles of A21, for a rural example - and urban land is often more expensive still) and https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...e/348943/vfm-assessment-of-cycling-grants.pdf estimates it provides a benefit of 35 times the cost.

But I guess time will tell.

Stephen C

Über Member
I've ridden it a few times, but it is still being built so often there are vans parked on it, or barriers up. It's not really that different from the shared path that already existed along that side of the road, the main difference is that it passes "behind" the bus stops so you need to be careful for pedestrians crossing to the pavement.

There is still the painted cycle lane on the southbound side, I'm assuming this will stay as there is more than enough room. As far as I can see, the new cycle lane does not link up with anything at the south end, it just stops just north of the Long Rd junction near the bus stop, and there is no real way to use the junction other than as a pedestrian (the pavement is very narrow). I wouldn't use the new cycle lane for travelling southbound.

Lastly, it still doesn't really solve any problems, there is no physical separation between the carriageway and cycle lane, so cars will certainly use it to pass cars waiting to turn right. In fact, the first time I used it an ambulance was travelling north, and without any hesitation or indication, all the traffic pulled into the cycle lane!

martinclive

Über Member
Could you have talked to her and asked to pass in-lane?
Probably - but it was belting down and there was a gap on the road so I just took the spare space!!!
I'll ride it a few more times and see - but will definitely report if I have the same feeling on future occasions - thanks for the link

it still doesn't really solve any problems, there is no physical separation between the carriageway and cycle lane
Exactly and there are so many roads coming in from the left and cars edging out in a hurry trying to find a gap (especially the mornings)..................lets see how it goes!

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

There is still the painted cycle lane on the southbound side, I'm assuming this will stay as there is more than enough room.
I found http://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/cycling which shows plans for the southbound one to be rebuilt in a similar fashion before next spring.

As far as I can see, the new cycle lane does not link up with anything at the south end, it just stops just north of the Long Rd junction near the bus stop, and there is no real way to use the junction other than as a pedestrian (the pavement is very narrow). I wouldn't use the new cycle lane for travelling southbound.
On my way out (not videoed because the rain was too heavy), I crossed to the shared-use path and turned right into Long Road at walking speed, then two-stepped across into Addenbrookes. It's pretty rubbish but beat waiting for the lights in the rain and then getting splashed by loads of overtaking motorists.

I'm surprised that this new project just ends at an Advance Stop Box and doesn't seem to improve connectivity with Addenbrookes... but I guess even the early motorways just terminated onto old-standard roads.
Lastly, it still doesn't really solve any problems, there is no physical separation between the carriageway and cycle lane, so cars will certainly use it to pass cars waiting to turn right.
Yes, I think it needs enforcement cameras and automatic fines.

In fact, the first time I used it an ambulance was travelling north, and without any hesitation or indication, all the traffic pulled into the cycle lane!
Ooops! "The raised cycleway option would allow emergency vehicles to pass" which I understood as the highly-trained ambulance drivers are meant to be on the cycleway if necessary, not Joe Clueless... but traffic on the A10 where we have a fairly high kerb just drives up on the cycleway without any hesitation or indication too, so I'm not sure it's unique to this design.. and I've not quite hit one yet...

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Exactly and there are so many roads coming in from the left and cars edging out in a hurry trying to find a gap (especially the mornings)..................lets see how it goes!
Motorists on my usual semi-rural commute reverse back in, usually even when the markings give them priority. It'll be interesting to see if Cambridge motorists do the same.

I know it's a bit naughty, but I do ride straight at the driver if they have flopped their car's nose across the cycle track when they shouldn't and don't reverse back in. Even if the track is wide enough for me to move (usually to the right-hand edge of the track) so they might be able to see around me, I'd still be blocking some of their view, so I'm not sure I should make it easier for them to proceed, else I might be contributing to a collision.

martinclive

Über Member
but I do ride straight at the driver if they have flopped their car's nose across the cycle track
Phew - I thought it was just me that rode an inch from their front bumpers (as long as I have made eye contact) in those circumstances!

As you say - do not want to contribute to an accident but as these drivers are often regulars, a bit of 'education' in this manner should hopefully prevent them doing it again and possibly help prevent a future accident...........

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I haven't used this stretch, though I'm sure the general rule of thumb (Brtitain + cycling infrastructure = crap) will apply!

Just a quick query about Lynn @mjray - I was riding out of town in Saturday night heading for Wells, and just after Castle Rising where the old road (now NCN1) meets the A149, some idiot has put a wooden fence right across the path. It creates an almost unnavigable chicane, and I almost rode into the fence in the dark. I wondered if you'd come across this yet, and any ideas why it's there and who I could approach to have it removed? I'll be bringing my saw with me next time! I tried to kick it down but it's sturdier than it looks.

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Just a quick query about Lynn @mjray - I was riding out of town in Saturday night heading for Wells, and just after Castle Rising where the old road (now NCN1) meets the A149, some idiot has put a wooden fence right across the path. It creates an almost unnavigable chicane, and I almost rode into the fence in the dark. I wondered if you'd come across this yet, and any ideas why it's there and who I could approach to have it removed?
It's a bit an agility challenge and has caused several crashes, including one I witnessed. It's not really my area (I cover south of town) but it's so hated that I know people have asked questions and I've been told that Borough Councillor Lord Greville Howard is the landowner responsible for obstructing the cycle track, but really it's the job of the Highway Authority which is Norfolk County Council to remove it. Given how dangerous and non-reflective it is, I'm surprised that no-one has reported it on https://www.fixmystreet.com/around?lat=52.802761&zoom=2&lon=0.483398 yet... and the more voices the merrier, else they go "oh it's just @mjray (or other regular local) again"</clang-of-hint-being-dropped>

I suggest removing the last bit of the message ;) and I'm sure you'd make some people very happy like that and now back to the topic:

I haven't used this stretch, though I'm sure the general rule of thumb (Brtitain + cycling infrastructure = crap) will apply!
I wouldn't be so prejudiced. It's not perfect but it's much less crap than the narrow painted lane on the other side or the narrow lumpy segregated shared use it replaces.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
It's a bit an agility challenge and has caused several crashes, including one I witnessed. It's not really my area (I cover south of town) but it's so hated that I know people have asked questions and I've been told that Borough Councillor Lord Greville Howard is the landowner responsible for obstructing the cycle track, but really it's the job of the Highway Authority which is Norfolk County Council to remove it. Given how dangerous and non-reflective it is, I'm surprised that no-one has reported it on https://www.fixmystreet.com/around?lat=52.802761&zoom=2&lon=0.483398 yet... and the more voices the merrier, else they go "oh it's just @mjray (or other regular local) again"</clang-of-hint-being-dropped>

I suggest removing the last bit of the message ;) and I'm sure you'd make some people very happy like that and now back to the topic:

Good stuff- many thanks and I'll report it. It is a real menace, the kind of thing that one imagines could only be dreamt by some bufty old fart with a name like Lord Greville Howard :tongue:. I'm more than happy to be associated with wrecking such stupidity!

martinclive

Über Member
Ramps on Huntingdon Road coming from the Girton road intersection (roughly - I will ride again a few times before going to authorities)
1. OK
2. up OK down a bit steep
3. the real culprit - up is too steep
4. no idea as some muppet was half out of the side road just past it blocking the cycle lane and I had to slow down!

Top Bottom