Camera charging and memory while on holidays

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trigger369

Über Member
Hi all .
Thinking about majorca I'm April.
Ile be using my fly 6 and 12 cameras while I'm there but have a couple questions .
Fly battery's only last 5hrs at most so will need to charge on the go from an external battery source if I'm recording the full days cycling. Is this possible with the fly cameras.?
I use 128gb sd cards in the flys but I recon I would fill one of those cards per day . So unless I buy another handful of sd cards would there be another cheaper or easier way of storing or transferring an sd card daily by just using a phone . ? I won't be bringing a laptop. I'm not very tech minded as u can probably guess . Many thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
Can you use cards with a much bigger memory?

si_c

Guru
Hi all .
Ile be using my fly 6 and 12 cameras while I'm there but have a couple questions .
Fly battery's only last 5hrs at most so will need to charge on the go from an external battery source if I'm recording the full days cycling. Is this possible with the fly cameras.?
I use 128gb sd cards in the flys but I recon I would fill one of those cards per day . So unless I buy another handful of sd cards would there be another cheaper or easier way of storing or transferring an sd card daily by just using a phone . ? I won't be bringing a laptop. I'm not very tech minded as u can probably guess . Many thanks
You will need multiple SD cards, transferring data around using a phone is not really feasible, both because it will be slow but also unless readily able to access WiFi, prohibitively expensive given roaming charges in Europe.

DiggyGun

How many days are you away?

As si_c states, a phone may not be feasible. Costs of 128gb cards on Amazon aren’t too expensive.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Hi all .

Not familiar with the Fly Cameras, but, don't see why they could not be recharged using a Powerpack (readily available and not expensive).

For your storage option, take a laptop, or, a handful of SD cards, would be my solution.

OP
OP
Trigger369

Trigger369

Über Member
I was looking at sd cards on amazon and the sd cards fly recommend using are scandisk endurance and they were working out at £20 for a 128gb card . I estimate I would use 2 cards per day for running the 2 cameras . Ile be cycling 4 full days so need 8 cards total and I have 2 already so need 6 cards at a cost of £120 . But mabye cheaper brands of sd cards can be used ? Ile need to check that out now .
Not familiar with the Fly Cameras, but, don't see why they could not be recharged using a Powerpack (readily available and not expensive).

For your storage option, take a laptop, or, a handful of SD cards, would be my solut

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I was looking at sd cards on amazon and the sd cards fly recommend using are scandisk endurance and they were working out at £20 for a 128gb card . I estimate I would use 2 cards per day for running the 2 cameras . Ile be cycling 4 full days so need 8 cards total and I have 2 already so need 6 cards at a cost of £120 . But mabye cheaper brands of sd cards can be used ? Ile need to check that out now .

Personally, I would opt to take a laptop, and, possibly, a USB Diskdrive (I already have them, so, no cost). Another possibility is to upload to Youtube each day, but, for that, you would need an internet connection, this may be available at your accommodation?, alternatively, it may be possible to connect to internet. at a local library? (I have done this in Castellon, but, not Majorca).

si_c

Guru
Personally, I would opt to take a laptop, and, possibly, a USB Diskdrive (I already have them, so, no cost). Another possibility is to upload to Youtube each day, but, for that, you would need an internet connection, this may be available at your accommodation?, alternatively, it may be possible to connect to internet. at a local library? (I have done this in Castellon, but, not Majorca).
256GB of upload to youtube would take days, even on a reasonably quick internet connection, on a 20Mb upload (most UK broadband is between 8 and 10) for example, that's 48 hours uploading to youtube.

The fly 12 overwrites the oldest footage automatically. So unless you want to keep the whole cycling holiday you don't need extra SD cards.
You can also lock a segment of footage so it doesn't get overwitten. Just press the lock button on the fly 12

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
256GB of upload to youtube would take days, even on a reasonably quick internet connection, on a 20Mb upload (most UK broadband is between 8 and 10) for example, that's 48 hours uploading to youtube.

If you say so, but, I regularly upload 32GB cards to Youtube, via Mobile (3 Network Router, 4g), and, it may take a few hours, but, not days. Since Covid (and Brexit), this has been within UK only, but, prior to that, regularly did it in France, Spain, Germany, using same equipment, or, Campsite WiFi, or, using a local SIM in the Router.

I am not technically qualified to say anything about speeds etc, I just know what I did.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Trigger369

Trigger369

Über Member
First time to majorca so would like to keep all the footage and make a video from the best bits or somthing like that . Been on the fly Website and they say anything higher than 128gb cards dont read properly or somthing like that . And as long as its a class 10 card it should work . Would rather buy a few cards than take a laptop and need to worry about that .

If you say so, but, I regularly upload 32GB cards to Youtube, via Mobile (3 Network Router, 4g), and, it may take a few hours, but, not days. Since Covid (and Brexit), this has been within UK only, but, prior to that, regularly did it in France, Spain, Germany, using same equipment, or, Campsite WiFi, or, using a local SIM in the Router.

I am not technically qualified to say anything about speeds etc, I just know what I did.

Baldy

Über Member
Another way is to take a "My passport wireless Pro" it's basically a stand alone hard drive. Just down loan your video footage each night.

Top Bottom