Camera Recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've had a look at the ebay supplies recently.............

The Metal MD80's have gone - i.e. the Muvi equivalents.... you now have the plastic cased cameras......

MD91's have been about for a while..

There is the AEE MD90, that is an upgraded MD80.........costs £60

And an MD92 that is on the cards.................(bullet shaped) Check AEE website

The fakers have got hold of ebay at the mo for the AEE MD80's.....you see the pics for the pukka metal ones, then scroll down and it's the plastic copies..........

I'm dead happy with my AEE MD80 - had since October.... I use the silicone skin to stop me bashing it - they don't do rain...............

allthegear

I got a 'chewing gum camera' from ebay, you can pick them up for approx £12. I picked one that can take up to 16GB cards, and bought one of them too. Quality surprisingly good for a pinhole camera (looks like the movi stuff on youtube), though not as good as the much more expensive £100+ ones, and although not waterproof, mine has been exposed to extended heavy rain and was OK. Battery life was approx 1.5 hours, but I've modified mine (my commute is approx 1:45 so the original battery was borderline). I took it to bits and drilled a hole in the front, I soldered a couple of wires to the internal battery, ran them through the hole and then used a hot glue gun to seal up where the wires now leave the body. I added some bullet connectors to the wires, and then bought a cordless phone battery of the same voltage, and attached bullet connectors to that too. The end result is a camera I can mount in an air vent on my helmet, and the external battery also fits in a helmet vent. I can now make continuous recordings of between 4-5 hours. Total cost approx £50

chap

Veteran
J4CKO said:
Ignoring the pro's/con's of having a camera, legalities or whatever, how much do I need to spend, what brand do you recommend to get some decent quality footage ? needs to be idiot proof, rain proof and fairly robust and have the capability to hold plenty of footage.

I want it to be fairly hard to spot and not be a huge thing sat on top of my head like an ornamental German 1st world war helmet.

Sounds...suspicious. Maybe I spent to long on that 'talksport' thread :rolleyes:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Is it possibleto get decent vids from a camera mounted on the bike itself? I don't wear a helmet. Or would the picture quality just be killed by vibration?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I tried it and found the vibration from the bike was too bad ... but I've since broke the mount... how do I get spare mounts for the Muvi?

fossyant

The mount has snapped on mine a couple of days ago near the top (not the clamp), but I use the silicone skin (modified to fit round the bracket) which holds it on anyway.

fossyant

Vibration generally kills the shot, although I rear mounted mine as an experiment on a light bracket, and the results were good. Mounted on the handle bars, the vibration kills the picture. Still not brilliant on a rucksack for same reasons.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
fossyant said:
Vibration generally kills the shot, although I rear mounted mine as an experiment on a light bracket, and the results were good. Mounted on the handle bars, the vibration kills the picture. Still not brilliant on a rucksack for same reasons.
Sorry, but could you explain what you mean by that? What bit of the bike was it attached to, and how?

fossyant

[quote name='swee'pea99']Sorry, but could you explain what you mean by that? What bit of the bike was it attached to, and how?[/QUOTE]

Front mounted I tried the bars....too much vibration from the forks. Rear mounted was clipped to a Mars 3 bracket with an elastic band for security, mounted to the seat post.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
swindoom said:
Do not buy a Veho Muvi, overpriced, slow frame rate, low resolution, short battery life, poor quality waterproof case. I was very disappointed with the Muvi when I compared it to my cheap MD80 clone, which was a third of the price.
You say that, but i was disapointed with the MD80, it was delivered with various parts missing from the box, the case wasn't put together properly, lens not sitting center in the gap for it and to top it off, it didn't work.

Top Bottom