Camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
My problem with cameras is finding one that is not too expensive and doesn;t mount on the helme
hence my aversion to something sticking up a few inches (:eek:) further

But I presume one on the handlebars for suffer from vibration?

Have a cheap Lidl one on my handlebars, has a various settings for different types of sports and any vibration issues have been due to a faulty mount; currently use a KlickFix mount which seems fine https://www.merlincycles.com/klickfix-cam-on-gopro-camera-mount-144963.html (other suppliers exist)

I bought the Chilli bullet camera for £40. Already had at least one successful prosecution and it's only been in use for a few rides. Good battery life and resolution is ok for daytime rides.

I brought the original fly 12 and don't ride without it now.

Plug and play it isn't - but if you ignore the fancy features and just run it as a light and camera and keep it in the same mode each ride - it works well.

If you doing longer rides you need to check the battery life - up until recently lots of cameras only have a couple of hours (I get 5 or 6 from the cyliq)

Garmin latest Varia is now also a camera - but it isn't cheap.

Mike_P

Guru
Garmin latest Varia is now also a camera - but it isn't cheap.
Pretty poor camera by all accounts.

Not nearly as much as you might expect. I mount my GoPro (the most basic version from 10 years ago) on the handlebars, and video quality is surprisingly good.

YouTube used to have a facility to stabilise footage uploaded. It's gone now but I'm sure there's other apps that do this too.

classic33

Leg End Member
My problem with cameras is finding one that is not too expensive and doesn;t mount on the helmet

The problem with the helmet is that I ride on a lot of paths and often feel the top of my helmet brushing passing branches and canal bridges
This even happens on some roads
Worst case was when a part of a branch managed to slip through one of the holes in the helmet and as I rode on it janked my head violently back
Luckily no car was passing me at that exact moment and then the angles changed and the branch slipped out of the helmet
How I stayed on my bike is a mystery

hence my aversion to something sticking up a few inches (:eek:) further

But I presume one on the handlebars for suffer from vibration?
Chest mount?

Solocle

Über Member
Pretty poor camera by all accounts.

It's better than the old Cycliq I was running, at least in reasonable conditions it seems to pick up license plates easily.

Having radar, light, and camera in one unit is only one gadget, so cuts down on clutter!

Top Bottom