cameras, old dslr vs newer compact?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
Funnily enough, I find that phones like the iPhone have a non-destructive in-house editing capability in the 'photo roll' which in some respects behaves quite like RAW - though in a much more basic way of course.
I was going to say 'no phones' and then I thought there might be way to do it on an iphone - Apple seem to do the camera quite well. I don't have one though, so I hedged my bets with 'not many' :smile:

I use a BlackBerry personally (someone has to) and it's always surprised me that there in no camera app that lets you save the raw data.

Melvil

I was going to say 'no phones' and then I thought there might be way to do it on an iphone - Apple seem to do the camera quite well. I don't have one though, so I hedged my bets with 'not many' :smile:

I use a BlackBerry personally (someone has to) and it's always surprised me that there in no camera app that lets you save the raw data.

Yes, maybe it will happen in the future but I'm not betting on it! BTW I personally think the iPhone has the best camera of any smartphone - not because of the sensor (because it's a SONY Exmoor found in all the Sonys and some other smartphones) but because of the processing which always seems to capture the white balance and tones very closely to what the eye sees. Shooting RAW might negate that clever processing advantage.

Cyclist33

And I have found that a) Mirrorless ilcs have the same in-camera capabilities as dslrs, b) raw is overrated even at full crop with the post process options even on free software nowadays, and c) Travelling even short distances inspires me to faff around creatively in ways I never bother with if out walking with the ffamily.

Family.

It's all just such fun!

What frustrates me is the proliferation Of buying hyper expensive cameras and kit then taking distinctly average photos, and worse still, not post processing when almost every picture benefits from a little tlc in the digital studio.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks for all your comment and help everyone.
I've logged in to the photography forum next door so will browse that.

I bought a Nikon d70 off a work mate with a 'normal' lens and a telephoto? Lens, £100 which seemed a reasonable price from what I've seen them for sale For.
I think you've done really well there. A decision I'm sure you won't regret. I have the earlier Nikon D40, and it's fantastic. Really nice to use, and excellent picture quality.

I'm a big fan of compacts too, but if you're looking to get into photography, rather than just take snaps, a DSLR really can't be beat, for all sorts of reasons, but especially for the viewfinder, and the fact that WYSIWYG - makes all the difference when it comes to composition, which is about nine-tenths of what photography, as opposed to snapshotting, is all about.

Enjoy it!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
What frustrates me is the proliferation Of buying hyper expensive cameras and kit then taking distinctly average photos, and worse still, not post processing when almost every picture benefits from a little tlc in the digital studio.
Truer words never spoken. I worked in the photographic trade for 20 years. Some folks were crestfallen due to the fact that they could not afford a film SLR for some uses. Digital as well. What I tell them, I tell you. You can get great pictures from a compact digital camera. You can get great pictures from a DSLR. The difference is this: You can, in more circumstances, get great pictures from a DSLR. But as @Cyclist33 points out above, a little post processing can make a picture. It can make a bad picture average, a good picture great, and a great picture fantastic. The nice thing about film was that people had been into it for generations. I was third generation in a family of serious, serious amateurs. Darkroom and darkroom equipment , cameras, and accessories could still, in many cases, be used 50 years after their initial manufacture.

Top Bottom