Campag Chorus hubs, maintenance and spares?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rrarider

Veteran
In 1986 I had some bespoke wheels with Campagnolo Chorus hubs made. The bike has been lightly used recently and not ridden in bad weather. I noticed today that there was a lot of float in the bearing as the cones can't have been fully down. I think it was probably caused by them unscrewing when I have had the wheel on and off, rather than the cups wearing. I haven't got time at the moment to service the hubs, so having removed the freewheel, used my cone spanners to tighten up the cones to be not too tight and not too loose.

Soon I want to check the hubs, cups etc and regrease them, as it's a long time since I did such a thing and I have to confess that I can't remember all the details of what I did. I bought those hubs as at the time Campag always had a good range of spares, I think that they did have replaceable cups and all necessary parts. Is this still the case?

If I remove the cones from both sides, I think all the steel balls will be visible and may fall out. Is that right ?
Can what what looks like a seal (a sheet steel disc with a hole in the middle be pulled out easily?
What size are the steel balls?

Any links to Campag servicing for these old hubs would be most useful.
Thanking you all in anticipation.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Campagnolo Chorus hubs made. The bike has been lightly used recently and not ridden in bad weather.
I would doubt there's any significant wear, then. Just clean and regrease.
@Graeme_FK

chriscross1966

Über Member
Campag hubs are pretty easy to service, the older ones are just really well made cup and cone sustems. Mercian seem to carry spares of both cups and cones for several types and its likely one would fit yours if needed... that said ive got a pair of 30+ year old Record Pista hubs on one of my bikes, the guy at the LBS who built up my wheels said they were still some of the best bearings he ever works with...

Top Bottom