Campag drivetrain problem.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

I think Im missing something. Finally got my new mythos out today,with 10 speed veloce groupset, (had alot of problems with shop build.).

Everything was fine except for skipping on 4th sprocket in and I just can t sort it. This is the first time Ive used Campag and 10 speed. H and L screws are set fine the cage looks straight and adjusting the cage angle makes no difference.

It occurs on both chain rings. When not underload it runs rough on the sprocket, and, when underload it trys to shift down but just skips on the sprocket . Every other gear is fine. Im stumped. Anybody have any Ideas.

Will1985

Über Member
Have you tinkered with the cable tension to test as well?

OP
OP
lukesdad

lukesdad

Yep. right through the range exactly the same thing happens even when dropping or raising the indexing by asprocket cant get my head round it.

OP
OP
lukesdad

lukesdad

Just had another hard look at it between the 4th and 5th sprockets there are some blocks(which I assumed where either a spacer or part of the casting on the cassette) these are sitting proud of the troughs on the 4th sprocket that cant be right can it?

Will1985

Über Member
Have you tried a half shift? Start to press the right lever in and then the thumb button. Not a practical solution but if this doesn't stop the skipping it's surely got to be the cassette.

OP
OP
lukesdad

lukesdad

Ive checked again clamping is correct these blocks are lifting the chain on this sprocket doesn t happen on any of the others.
Before I go any further and start taking it apart does the cassette split between the fourth and fifth sprocket.

I thought for the first time Id give Campag a go. What aload of shite.

jpembroke

Chances are shop have put the cassette on incorrectly. 10 Campag cassettes comprise individual sprockets (i.e. not on a carrier) divided by spacers of varying widths (infact sprockets are different widths also - thus the need to different spacers). Get the spacers in the wrong order and you will never be able to index the gears. This document illustrates the correct order:

http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/documenti/en/7225320-10S_Sprockets-09-09.pdf

You will need to remove the cassette and put it back together in the correct order.

It's either that or you have the cable clamped incorrectly at the mech. Bet anything it's the spacer thing though.

OP
OP
lukesdad

lukesdad

jpembroke said:
Chances are shop have put the cassette on incorrectly. 10 Campag cassettes comprise individual sprockets (i.e. not on a carrier) divided by spacers of varying widths (infact sprockets are different widths also - thus the need to different spacers). Get the spacers in the wrong order and you will never be able to index the gears. This document illustrates the correct order:

http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/documenti/en/7225320-10S_Sprockets-09-09.pdf

You will need to remove the cassette and put it back together in the correct order.

It's either that or you have the cable clamped incorrectly at the mech. Bet anything it's the spacer thing though.

Sounds good Ill check it out many thanks.

jpembroke

You can tell by looking hard at the cassette - should be able to tell if the spaces aren't even. Once sprockets and spacers are in the correct order the spaces become equal. It sounds a bit weird I know but once it's set up right shifting will be lovely. Honest.

Not sure why sprockets (and spacers) are different thicknesses. It may be to do with strength (i.e. reducing flex of the larger sprockets) but can't be sure.

OP
OP
lukesdad

lukesdad

yep ive had alook at the pdf and it looks like theve got one of the bossed spacers in there instead of one of the smaller ones. All I gotta do now is lay my hands on a cassette tool. Once again many thanks spot on. Might give campag a second chance but wont hold my breath.

jpembroke

Stick with it mate, it'll be fine. I have 3 bikes: MTB (shimano), Cross (Shimano), and Road (Campag) and I am a fan of both. However, my Campag groupset (9 speed veloce) is now 8 years old and I've replaced precisely zero parts apart from the chain and cassette. Shifters, mechs, BB, brakes all still there and still working beautifully. I tell you, it p*sses me off because sometimes I'd like to upgrade but there's just no need to. It shifts today as well as it did the day I bought it.

Top Bottom