Campag Goes 11 Speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Nigel: "You see, most blokes will be playing at 10. You’re on 10, all the way up, all the way up...Where can you go from there? Nowhere. What we do, is if we need that extra push over the cliff...Eleven. One louder."

DiBergi: "Why don’t you just make 10 louder and make 10 be the top number, and make that a little louder?"

Nigel (after taking a moment to let this sink in): "These go to 11."

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Rhythm Thief said:
Your "eleven more than necessary" signature seems very apposite John!

:rolleyes:

You must have heard the Henri Desgrange quote about variable gears too...

"I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five.
Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by
the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...
As for me, give me a fixed gear!"

monnet

Guru
I read this in the comic today. Bloody ridiculous. I once read Shimano thought 10 was too many - they only went 10 speed due to market pressure what with campag going 10. I can't see why anyone (except the pros and Merckx managed with 5) would need 11. Whenever I change my cassette it's always the middle 4 that are worn - the others get use but rarely. I think and 8 speed 13-23/25 would be sufficient for most people. They would also last a fair bit longer and you wouldn't be replacing your chain as often either.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
it's a bit too much marketing over engineering. there's not much noticable difference between the ratios on my 8 and 9 speed bikes, so i can't imagine that going from 10 to 11 is going to produce any tangible benefits.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Depends where you live. I have ten speed, like to keep the ratios fairly close and there are many times when I wish I had something smaller on the way up a long climb and a few inches higher on the way down.

If it works, why not? You don't have to buy it.

monnet

Guru
Smokin Joe said:
If it works, why not? You don't have to buy it.

You will have to buy it. In 5 years time Campag will have put all their groupsets at 11, Shimano's top 3 groupsets will be too. So when I want to upgrade my bike it'll be an 11speed cassette for me. Just as now it makes little sense, if you can afford it, to buy anything other than 10 speed (simply because it's the most readily available) so in a few years time itwill only make sense to buy 11 speed.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Smokin Joe said:
Depends where you live. I have ten speed, like to keep the ratios fairly close and there are many times when I wish I had something smaller on the way up a long climb and a few inches higher on the way down.

but 11 is just 9 between the largest and smallest instead of 8, so e.g. a 25-13 block will have the same top and bottom gear regardless of how many intermediate gears there are.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
alecstilleyedye said:
but 11 is just 9 between the largest and smallest instead of 8, so e.g. a 25-13 block will have the same top and bottom gear regardless of how many intermediate gears there are.
Yeah, but a 13/27 would be just dandy. And I'll fit a 12 when they go up one more ;)

monnet said:
You will have to buy it. In 5 years time Campag will have put all their groupsets at 11, Shimano's top 3 groupsets will be too. So when I want to upgrade my bike it'll be an 11speed cassette for me. Just as now it makes little sense, if you can afford it, to buy anything other than 10 speed (simply because it's the most readily available) so in a few years time itwill only make sense to buy 11 speed.

I'm still hanging on to seven speed, just about. (I think my Galaxy is now up to eight.) Still more than I need, most of the time.

yello

How many razor blades are we up to now?

When I bought my audax bike a few years back, I was advised to get the new 10sp partly because spares for a 9sp would be difficult to get. I'd bought a couple of 8sp XT cassettes before then for my tourer for the same reason (and they were cheap at Chain Reaction). Glad I did... you can still get them but they're not cheap.

RedBike

It will be intresting to see if this stuff appears at any of the big races.

Whats happened to the electronically controlled system Campag were testing?

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Rhythm Thief said:
I'm still hanging on to seven speed, just about. (I think my Galaxy is now up to eight.) Still more than I need, most of the time.

I raise your 7 speed with my 6 speed :smile:

Top Bottom