campag Khamsin wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Anyone riding on these campags I saw some well discounted ,
I have a pair. I got mine at a very big discount years back (£99, I think?).

I think they are very good for relatively cheap wheels.

I haven't had any problems with them, though I sometimes worry what would happen if I broke a spoke - a low spoke count and the unusual rear wheel spoke pattern might mean a very untrue wheel in that situation. Still, I have only broken one spoke on a ride and that was on a different set of wheels and the spoke had been damaged prior to that so it probably isn't a big issue.

Tommy2

Über Member
I had some on my first road bike, they were an upgrade from the Rodi Airlines that were on it originally.
I rode them Practically everyday for a couple of years and never had a problem.

albal

Guru
Picked up a early new pair on Gumtree, replaced front bearings twice, they are on the winter bike tho. Good wheels.

They are Campag's bottom-of-the range wheels and as far as I know, the only ones fitted with cartridge bearings. The spoke pattern is absolutely rubbish and stupid and the quick release is of the inferiour open cam type.
The wheels you have on your bike now are almost certainly better in every aspect.

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
They are Campag's bottom-of-the range wheels and as far as I know, the only ones fitted with cartridge bearings. The spoke pattern is absolutely rubbish and stupid and the quick release is of the inferiour open cam type.
The wheels you have on your bike now are almost certainly better in every aspect.
For the price I wouldn't expect to much , and the amount of riding I do on that bike there would not be to much demand on them , the other 5 posters seem to be fairly OK with them so they cannot be that bad

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
Don't forget to get the right version - they come with either Campagnolo- or Shimano-compatible freehubs!

I did notice that to be honest , I need the shim/shram compatible ones , But I have seen some other wheels from a mob in Lancaster , Vision Team 35s , may go with them yet

Last edited:

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I did notice that to be honest , I need the shim/shram compatible ones , But I have seen some other wheels from a mob in Lancaster , Vision Team 35s , may go with them yet
Have a look at superstar wheels. You can custom build a better wheel for about the same price.

FishFright

More wheels than sense

Mine are 8 ish years old still true and and run pretty smoothly , other than that your bang on. QR's replaced though as wanted to.
Are they as good as a nice pair than a good pair of handbuillts ? Of course not but they cost me £80 in a sale so I'm pretty happy.

Mine are 8 ish years old still true and and run pretty smoothly , other than that your bang on. QR's replaced though as wanted to.
Are they as good as a nice pair than a good pair of handbuillts ? Of course not but they cost me £80 in a sale so I'm pretty happy.
My aunt Edna has a bike that's 40 years old and still has the original chain. Her wheels are still pretty true as well.

I don't have an aunt Edna, but point is that mechanical items don't measure their age in time, only in mileage, or time-in-use, if you want.

Campag's wheels are hand built. However, that doesn't compensate for poor design. That three-together spoke setup is a rim killer, even though that rim is pretty beefy to make up for the shortcomings of even spacing of spokes along the inner perimeter.

They came on my Bianchi and after a lot of miles the eventually broke a front spoke. After I put a new one in I didn't even have to true the wheel. For the money there a good set of wheels IMO :okay:

I had to read the last sentence a few times to figure out what you mean. Nevertheless, your anectdote doesn't support the argument I make. "A lot of miles" hardly makes me confident. My aunt Edna's bike has also done a lot of miles before she finally hung it up in the garage where it has been the last 35 years.

The fact that a front spoke broke is already cause for alarm. The most vulnerable spoke on a wheel is rear right. What's going on in there?

My aunt Edna has a bike that's 40 years old and still has the original chain. Her wheels are still pretty true as well.

I don't have an aunt Edna, but point is that mechanical items don't measure their age in time, only in mileage, or time-in-use, if you want.

Campag's wheels are hand built. However, that doesn't compensate for poor design. That three-together spoke setup is a rim killer, even though that rim is pretty beefy to make up for the shortcomings of even spacing of spokes along the inner perimeter.

I had to read the last sentence a few times to figure out what you mean. Nevertheless, your anectdote doesn't support the argument I make. "A lot of miles" hardly makes me confident. My aunt Edna's bike has also done a lot of miles before she finally hung it up in the garage where it has been the last 35 years.

The fact that a front spoke broke is already cause for alarm. The most vulnerable spoke on a wheel is rear right. What's going on in there?
Sorry in excess 8000miles I think. The bike was dedicated TT bike in its last year and it was retired at 10,000. Ive broke 3 spokes in my lifetime 2 front and 1 rear so I tend to break more on the front but thats in 125,000miles of cycling. For circa £100 @ozboz can't go far wrong IMHO. If it was a £1000 wheel and it failed early in its lifetime, I be worried. Its a relative inexpensive wheel and it failed late in its lifetime so I wouldn't worry :okay:

Top Bottom