Campag/Shimano brake cable ends

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
To give me a more upright position after my recent hip replacement I'm raising the bars on one of my bikes with a steerer tube extender and it has resulted in the cable for the front brake being too short. I've got odd lengths of Campag cable 'in stock'. Shimano brake cable 'heads' are slightly bigger than Campag I believe, so is there any problem with using a Campag brake cable in a Shimano shifter?

Not at all.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

........ to follow on from that - to avoid the hassle of removing bar tape, replacing outer etc, is there any problem with extending the existing outer with a short length of new, as a temporary measure until I am able to remove the steerer extender and return the bars to their original position?

Ajax Bay

Guru
That length of outer is so cheap it's not worth the complications of the interface where the two bits of outer would butt against one another. There would be a bend there and that'd cause friction. For a safety critical item like a front brake this would be not recommended (nor worth it).

raleighnut

Legendary Member
........ to follow on from that - to avoid the hassle of removing bar tape, replacing outer etc, is there any problem with extending the existing outer with a short length of new, as a temporary measure until I am able to remove the steerer extender and return the bars to their original position?
Use an 'in-line' adjuster to join the 2 lengths, it'll be fine.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

Thanks - difference of opinion there. I think I will start by trying a short length, with ferrules on the cable ends to keep it neat. Can't see why it should bend - just a couple of inches above the brake assembly. We will see ...

Ajax Bay

Guru
if you use an inline adjuster there will be no chance of it bending and causing a sticky brake , a fiver for your safety
I agree and the neatest solution, given the reluctance of the OP to take the handlebar tape off.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

Done - added 2" or so of outer, and yes, possibility of kinking, so fitted a length of plastic tube/sleeve over the last 6" or so of the outer which fixed the issue. Agreed a cable adjuster would do the job beautifully.

Top Bottom