Campag Veloce Shifter Upgrade???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ipaul321

My Wilier Lavaredo's Veloce 'Up' Shifter only allows shifting all the way up to top gear. Annoying, tiring & clunky. Down I think to a broken internal spring. My local bike shop will do a fix costing I think aroung £70 when I could replace the pair myself for around £80 with new units OR upgrade to something like Centaurs for £110. I think that a repair to the Veloce by my own fair hand a step beyond the possible.

What'sthe best choice?

Cheers all,

Shadowfax

I think this is a common fault, hubby has the same problem.He is going shimano but will keep the chainset I think.

pawl

Legendary Member
My Wilier Lavaredo's Veloce 'Up' Shifter only allows shifting all the way up to top gear. Annoying, tiring & clunky. Down I think to a broken internal spring. My local bike shop will do a fix costing I think aroung £70 when I could replace the pair myself for around £80 with new units OR upgrade to something like Centaurs for £110. I think that a repair to the Veloce by my own fair hand a step beyond the possible.

What'sthe best choice?

Cheers all,
Have a look on e bay.Recently bought a right hand shifter for £10 in good condition.

@ipaul321 have a look in the back of the shifter and see what colour the cable bush (the part that the gear cable is fitted through) is - if it's black, contact us and we will send you a white one which is an easy retro-fit - some (not all) older stock has a cable bushing that is susceptible to damage from some mineral oil-based lubricants over time and this may be what is at the root of your problem. The white replacement bushings that are far more resistant to the mineral-oil based lubes that shop mechanics (and others) have a tendency to spray around with gay abandon.

We can't simply use a white bushing to repair the old lever as once the damage has started, a simple cable bushing replacement does not make for a reliable repair - there is other knock-on damage that quickly occurs after the damage to the bushing that means a new lever body is the best & most reliable fix.

For the record, these shifters are generally reliable if they are not subject to lubricants being sprayed into them - but a good many mechs and others do so for reasons that escape me ...

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
He said upgrade not downgrade, you obviously misread post.:laugh:

He said upgrade not downgrade, you obviously misread post.:laugh:
Animated-gif-baby-sticking-out-tongue-picture-moving.gif

Top Bottom