Campag Xenon help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There's no way a Campag rear mech has been rendered useless after a month or so -certainly not with corrosion - they are built to last a lifetime.

MajorMantra

accountantpete said:
There's no way a Campag rear mech has been rendered useless after a month or so -certainly not with corrosion - they are built to last a lifetime.

I agree. Unless this has suffered an impact I'd be tempted to think it was faulty from the start. Have you considered trying to return it? (I realise the prospect of trying to contact Ribble is a bit daunting.:biggrin:)

Matthew

OP
OP
M

magnatom

I hear what your saying guys. It was definitely needing replaced. I'd spent an evening cleaning/lubing etc and it made no difference and the chap at the LBS had a fair go as well. It may well have been a dud from the start.

However, the thought of having to deal with Ribble again wasn't worth the £25 it took me to replace it. I'll be keeping a close eye on this one...

Cloudy O'

magnatom said:
On my recently purchased Ribble I have a Campag Xenon derailleur. The weather has been crap recently, and although I haven't cleaned it as I should I have cleaned it a bit and oiled it. However, lately I've been having problems shifting to higher gears (smaller cogs). It's fine the other way, but will only change up when I hit a bump!

I've checked and oiled the cables, it's not them, and I've done my best to clean and oil the derailleur, but no change. Looking inside I notice that the spring has a hook coming off it. It isn't attached to anything. Is this normal? If it's not this it probably needs a seriously deep clean and lube. I'll just have to survive tomorrow and get it to the lbs on Friday.:ohmy:

Change it!

I have exactly the same Ribble bike and last Thursday, whilst out for thirty miles in the snow, my Xenon rear mech snapped in half leaving me stranded! It had sheared off at the point it's attached to the rear hanger ;)
Fortunately I was only a mile from returning home so it could have been much worse.

Personally I don't think Ribble do themselves any favours by fitting a 20 quid mech and I told them so. Their winter bikes are built down to a price though and you can't fault the value really just watch out for some really budget rubbish that's all.

woohoo

Veteran
I upgraded one of my bikes to Centaur Ultrashift 10 speed from Xenon 9 speed but with the need to buy a few other bits and pieces, I left my Xenon rear mech in place (it's a 9/10 speed type). I reckon it has seen about 9000 miles use (including a period when I took it to the range limit by fitting a triple for a "hilly" holiday) without any problems and it is still going strong.

jay clock

Massive member
Of course, if you had Shimano, you would not have had these problems!

Re cleaning, I bought a job lot of pipe cleaners off Ebay and they are very useful for cassettes and freewheels

OP
OP
M

magnatom

It's all working nicely again, despite de-threading the first hanger I got :angry:.

I even cleaned the bike and put on some Kool stop brake pads, so the bike was running well this morning.

I must admit though, when I had my Kinesis on the bike stand, which has an ultegra rear shifter, there was a huge difference in the smoothness of the shifting. (Ultegra better of course!). The question is, is that down to the position of the components on the upgrade list, or the make of the components....?:ohmy:;)

MartinC

Über Member
Now, now. You're just trying to start a S v. C thread! Comparing Xenon to Ultgegra's a bit unfair. Super Record is far better than Sora.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

MartinC said:
Now, now. You're just trying to start a S v. C thread! Comparing Xenon to Ultgegra's a bit unfair. Super Record is far better than Sora.

Me!? No! ;)

Seriously though, I was surprised that there is such a difference. I'm lookig forward to the summer when the good bike will be out again! ;)

Coco

I'm sure I read somewhere that Campags need a bit of running in. Although with your track record, that's unlikely to happen ;)

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Coco said:
I'm sure I read somewhere that Campags need a bit of running in. Although with your track record, that's unlikely to happen ;)

Aye, I run them into the ground! I never had these problems with Shimano......;)

Top Bottom