Campag Xenon help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
On my recently purchased Ribble I have a Campag Xenon derailleur. The weather has been crap recently, and although I haven't cleaned it as I should I have cleaned it a bit and oiled it. However, lately I've been having problems shifting to higher gears (smaller cogs). It's fine the other way, but will only change up when I hit a bump!

I've checked and oiled the cables, it's not them, and I've done my best to clean and oil the derailleur, but no change. Looking inside I notice that the spring has a hook coming off it. It isn't attached to anything. Is this normal? If it's not this it probably needs a seriously deep clean and lube. I'll just have to survive tomorrow and get it to the lbs on Friday.:smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The spring should be attached both ends. That pulls the mech down (and out) to the smaller cogs.

Take the rear wheel off, push the mech inwards by hand - if no tension, or it doesn't spring back to the original position, then the spring is loose or busted.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

fossyant said:
The spring should be attached both ends. That pulls the mech down (and out) to the smaller cogs.

Take the rear wheel off, push the mech inwards by hand - if no tension, or it doesn't spring back to the original position, then the spring is loose or busted.

It springs back a bit, but it does fell sluggish. The spring has a straight bit coming off it which has what looks like a hook. The closed end (back of the hook) is sitting against the metal back of the cage. The open end of the hook isn't hooked onto anything.

I'll leave early tonight and pop into the LBS on the way home and let them have a look. Not happy if the spring has gone this soon, I've only just got the bike! I wonder how good ribble will be at repairing this (I don't have to send it back do I? :sad:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
magnatom said:
Remember I have three kids (one being only weeks old) windows going in, busy at work etc.... Oh to have time for daily cleaning.....:smile::smile:

Just do what I do - either stand it in the bath and shower it down, or - since you have a new baby - nick some of her babywipes and give the bike a good wipe-down all over.

Of course, Mrs Magnatom might not be too happy at you doing either.

On further thought - how about turning 'cleaning Daddy's bike' into a fun game for the two boys to do? :sad:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

goo_mason said:
Just do what I do - either stand it in the bath and shower it down, or - since you have a new baby - nick some of her babywipes and give the bike a good wipe-down all over.

Of course, Mrs Magnatom might not be too happy at you doing either.

On further thought - how about turning 'cleaning Daddy's bike' into a fun game for the two boys to do? :sad:

:smile: I can jsut imaging Mrs Magnatoms reaction to me taking the bike up to the bath! :ohmy:xx(

I do use babywipes, they are great, but the problem is getting into the insides of things is difficult with them (i.e. the insides of derailleurs) :smile:

...and finally, the idea of the kids cleaning the bike....mmmmm....I can imagine....'Mark, how did you manage to get that off daddies bike and down the toilet...':biggrin:

goo_mason

magnatom said:
:smile: I can jsut imaging Mrs Magnatoms reaction to me taking the bike up to the bath! :ohmy:xx(

I do use babywipes, they are great, but the problem is getting into the insides of things is difficult with them (i.e. the insides of derailleurs) :sad:

...and finally, the idea of the kids cleaning the bike....mmmmm....I can imagine....'Mark, how did you manage to get that off daddies bike and down the toilet...':biggrin:

Mark, that's Daddy's brake pad, not a penny chew! And that front chainring is NOT a Ninja Throwing Star! :biggrin:

Yep, being divorced has its advantages - no-one to have a hairy fit when I wash the bike in the bath.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

goo_mason said:
Mark, that's Daddy's brake pad, not a penny chew! And that front chainring is NOT a Ninja Throwing Star! :biggrin:

Yep, being divorced has its advantages - no-one to have a hairy fit when I wash the bike in the bath.

It's funny though how different kids are. My older boy would be fine. He's never been the 'put things down the toilet type' My younger boy would do everything he possible could to cause mischief! It'll be a while before we find out how the little lady turns out....fingers crossed! :sad:

Coco

I was moving my speakers around the other day and emptied a good kilo of Lego from one of the subs. Coco Jnr denies all knowledge of it, but since its Duplo, its probably that he did it when he was a lot younger.

I've now got this horrible image of you and the bike having a bath together:ohmy:

goo_mason

Coco said:
I've now got this horrible image of you and the bike having a bath together:ohmy:

Hello darling roadbike - climb in and let me just fiddle with your bottom bracket and clean those dirty spoke nipples.... ;) :biggrin:

The thumb shifter can get a bit rough at times- presumably muck inside. I'd give it a liberal squirt with WD40 and see if that does the trick.

Coco

goo_mason said:
Hello darling roadbike - climb in and let me just fiddle with your bottom bracket and clean those dirty spoke nipples.... ;) :biggrin:

Careful now. You might end up like this:

bike%20m%20bed.jpg

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Umm, errr, emmmm.....I popped into the LBS on the way home. Nice chaps in Solid Rock Cycles. He had a good go at lubricating the mech...no good... he changed the cable in case it was that....no good... a little more lubrication... no good.

The mech was......gone.:biggrin:

So there you have it folks, I've killed a mech in about a month or so of on and off cycling.;) So let this be a warning to you all. Salt and rear mechs don't mix...:biggrin::sad:

On the plus side I got my mech changed in about 10 minutes (same again) and I was on my way. Good stuff!:smile:

Top Bottom