Campagnolo cable replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redjedi

Über Member
I need to change the rear gear cable and also the front brake cable.

Can I use any Campag compatible cable or should I buy the official Campag Ultra Shift cable set?

Do I need to change the housing as well? The bikes only 10 months old, but both the cables have snapped a strand or two.
The rear mech is also a bit sticky when changing down. I often have to change down two gears before it moves.

TIA

iLB

Hello there
here's my advice, visit your lbs and buy an ultegra 6700 groupo, remove and bin the campy stuff,fit new shimano groupo - happy cycling ;)

OP
OP
redjedi

redjedi

Über Member
iLB said:
here's my advice, visit your lbs and buy an ultegra 6700 groupo, remove and bin the campy stuff,fit new shimano groupo - happy cycling ;)

I know your game! You're just after a free upgrade by rummaging through my bins ;)

Young Un said:
Corrected :biggrin:

Better but not an option at the moment.

I'm really just wondering if I can get away with being lazy and cheap by spending £5 on a couple of cables, or do it properly and re-do all the cabling. This would also mean re-placing the grubby white bar tape (oooh perhaps celeste bar tape :tongue:)
I've never been happy with the way the cables were routed around the bars anyway.

iLB

Hello there
on a more serious note, to my mind a steel cable is a steel cable, just make sure you get the right length and that the bit on the end (head?) looks the same as what you already have ;)

woohoo

Veteran
redjedi said:
Can I use any Campag compatible cable or should I buy the official Campag Ultra Shift cable set? ....

Depends on what type of Campag they are compatible with. IIRC, Campag changed the cable and housing specs when they introduced Ultrashift and the Ultrashifts don't work well with the older Ergoshift cables and housings.

Top Bottom