Campagnolo Chorus 10 speed cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This maybe be a completely stupid question, but how do you know if your cassette is actually Chorus? The reason why I asked, I have just swaped overy my back wheel for another whilst using the turbo trainer. When I took of my back wheel with the Chorus 10 speed cassette, I noticed that it didn't say Chorus on it. In fact it didn't even say Campag? Now I'm wondering, is that the case on all Chorus ten speed cassetts or is it not a Chorus cassette. If its the later then I will be having strong words with my dealer!

Cheers

Will1985

Über Member
Mostly to do with materials I think. IIRC, Centaur has 1 set of double sprockets while Chorus and Record have more than 1. In terms of material, Record uses a bit of titanium for the largest sprockets.

So a Chorus cassette should not have any titanium, but at least 2 sets of double sprockets.

Couldn't you weigh it and compare with claimed weights on weightweenies or an online shop?

gavintc

Guru
On a similar note, when I moved to Ultegra 10sp, I was convinced I had been sold a 105 cassette as that was written on one of the spacers. It was only when I had taken the cassette apart for cleaning that I realised that the '105' was actually '10S' referring to the 10 speed.

longers

Legendary Member
I'm taking my bike with Chorus to bits for cleaning tomorrow, I'll have a look if you haven't got the answer by then.

OP
OP
N

Nicensleazy

longers said:
I'm taking my bike with Chorus to bits for cleaning tomorrow, I'll have a look if you haven't got the answer by then.

I spoke with a reputable dealer today........he stated that the only way you would really know is by the weight of the cassette.

Rob S

Nicensleazy said:
I spoke with a reputable dealer today........he stated that the only way you would really know is by the weight of the cassette.

Yep...thoroughly cleaning and then weighing a cassette and comparing it to the manufacturers listed estimated weights of each cassette ratio option (only the lightest of which is published) will give more accurate results than seeing if you have one pair of joined sprockets or 2-3....particularly if you are a dealer being paid by the hour.

longers

Legendary Member
It's all clean now :biggrin:, and I now know it's a centaur cassette as there was only one double sprocket.
Very useful to know when it comes to replacing it like for like.

Randochap

Senior hunter
Centaur has blue spacers.

Top Bottom