Campagnolo Veloce 10 Speed Chain Slipping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I've just replaced the chain on my bike because the old chain was was stretched, but not excessively. I notice that the new chain is now slipping on most of the back sprockets and so I'm assuming that I also need to replace the cassette. Seems odd though that the new chain slips on most of the sprockets when the old one didn't. I would have thought it would only have slipped on a couple of the most used sprockets. Anyway, is it a common problem for a new chain to slip on an old cassette when the old chain didn't slip?

Ajax Bay

Guru
The old chain and cassette wore 'together'. The new chain is now slipping on the sprockets you use most, I expect. If you replace the chain in 'good' time the cassette will/would be fine. But it sounds as if you've left it too long and the cassette has worn to the extent that the new chain slips. 'Fraid a new cassette is therefore required, perhaps together with a resolution to change the chain earlier (should be able to get three chains worth out of a cassette (YMMV) provided the chains are changed out on or before the 0.75% stretch threshold).

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
When I measured a foot length of my old chain, the link pin was 1/16" past the mark, so I thought I'd get away without having to replace the cassette, but clearly not.

Ajax Bay

Guru
As @Yellow Saddle explained (in November iirc), criticising my assertion that you could measure 20 links (which should measure 254mm) and if it's less than 256mm you're "OK", the potential error in measurement is liable to be significant in proportion to the accuracy required. I accepted his argument that measuring that short a length 'in situ' ie along the top (from cassette to large chainring) cannot be done with sufficient assurance, however much care you take and use a steel rule. I have tried doing this using digital calipers as well, but I now think using a good chain 'wear' measuring tool is best practice.

Top Bottom