Campagnolo Xenon Levers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simon Head

I have a nine speed block does anyone know how many "teeth" should be on my, disassembled, lever ratchet, there are 8 so do I need new levers?

boydj

Legendary Member
There are 8 shifts to get from 1 to 9, so 8 teeth should be correct. Are the block and levers the originals that came with the bike?

OP
OP
Simon Head

Simon Head

Thanks for that. I have a 20 year old Dave Marsh Reynolds 753 frame and a box of new but retro Campag components that a friend gave me

If the metal toothed wheel tyou are referring to is approx 1cm in diameter and the other components inside the lever are mainly plastic, you have "Escape type". In these levers, the small toother wheel will either not be marked at all, in which case it's 9s or it'll have a "0" stamped in it, in shich case it's 10s.

Ajax Bay

Guru
@Graeme_FK I'll be guessing here, but he has separately said:
I would like to swap the way that gears are selected because I have lost the use of my right hand: https://shedsweb.wordpress.com/
And see this thread: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/campagnolo-xenon.215349/#post-4718935
He's trying to set up an ergo to operate the RD (for 9sp cassette) on the left side of drop handlebars. And then a down tube lever (or none) for the FD )or none and operate 1 x 9).
Thing is, trying to achieve a mirror mechanism is a 'stretch target' imo. I have suggested alternatives (bar-end - see thread).

@Graeme_FK I'll be guessing here, but he has separately said:

And see this thread: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/campagnolo-xenon.215349/#post-4718935
He's trying to set up an ergo to operate the RD (for 9sp cassette) on the left side of drop handlebars. And then a down tube lever (or none) for the FD )or none and operate 1 x 9).
Thing is, trying to achieve a mirror mechanism is a 'stretch target' imo. I have suggested alternatives (bar-end - see thread).

Ah, OK. If that's the case I can maybe have a look at machining a RH ratchet to fit a LH lever ... the problem won't be that, that should be pretty straightforward. The problem will be the plastic cable bushing that has to "hold" the mechanism still for the actual indexed part of the shift (set by the metal ratchet) to work. A bar-con would definitely be easier ...

I do know people who have used the older, non Escape version LH levers to operate the RD. There are ways ...

OP
OP
Simon Head

Simon Head

I have a Xenon 9 speed rear mech that I could shift with a bar end lever but I have got that on my other bike and don't like shifting because my right arm is so weak. Maybe it will get easier if I put a bar end shifter on my training bike for the rear mech

OP
OP
Simon Head

Simon Head

I already have a 9-speed bar end shifter on the left drop but I have only used it on the turbo's where I don't actually shift gear that often. I raced in a Bicester CC time trial last night, on closed roads fortunately, my seat shifted despite being done up on the seat post very tightly and I fell off whilst reaching for the gearshift. BLAST, I said and other ruder words.

OP
OP
Simon Head

Simon Head

Could I use Campag Grip-Shifts for the front and rear mechs? I have some bullhorn handlebars but I'm not sure they will go on, I want them near the stem

Top Bottom