Camper Van advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
There's a great You Tube series called Vandemonium by a lad called David Johns... he has a live-on-board narrowboat but bought and converted a van last year... shows what can be done from scratch to completion... and in particular what to look for when looking at buying a converted ones- he's very thorough and you'll pick up a lot of tips and hacks to watch out for.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdcqG-tIAWI&list=PLfKN-CJ2jz9OeK6P4HQQI-Wex-tk6UOUc

D

Deleted member 26715

There's a great You Tube series called Vandemonium by a lad called David Johns...
Has his presentation skills improved, I couldn't watch his first canal boat one, I had to give up after about 15 minutes

Drago

Legendary Member
I've considered one on a few occasions, but one concern is if you are away then if you want to go anywhere you have to pack everything, up whereas a caravan you can go off in the car. But horses for courses
Which is exactly what endears caravanners to the locals. Not.

When I'm where I'm going I switch off the engine, pull the lever to rotate the captains chair to face "indoors" and crack open a beer. No faffing about unhitching, setting feet, etc, and when I'm sober I'm ready to leave instantly - lock the drivers seat, turn the key, and wave adios to Terry and June as they're still messing about with the Wally Wagon. I've watched some caravanners take an hour to get sorted, hitched, redistribute the load to set a decent noseweight and on their way, by which time i'm half way home.

Plus there are targets of opportnuinty not open to caravanners. Highland layby's, friendly pubs (the Pilot Inn at Dungeness lets visitors stay in a camper/motorhome for free so long as they buy an evening meal, for example - many remote country pubs permit this), remote spots that simply aren't reasonably available for a caravan. And they're safer on the open road. On a long journey you can pull over for a break, rest or spot of lunch and you're instantly all set.

The only downside for me is the cost of taxing, insuring and maintaining another vehicle, but thats's negligible and certainly a lot cheaper than having to buy a new caravan because someone has nicked it.

D

Deleted member 26715

When I'm where I'm going I switch off the engine, pull the lever to rotate the captains chair to face "indoors" and crack open a beer.
As an aside how does the drunk in charge of a vehicle work? Whether it's a myth if you have the keys you are in charge, if you're sat in said seat 3 sheets to the wind can you be prosecuted?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
As an aside how does the drunk in charge of a vehicle work? Whether it's a myth if you have the keys you are in charge, if you're sat in said seat 3 sheets to the wind can you be prosecuted?
Yes.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
There's a great You Tube series called Vandemonium by a lad called David Johns... he has a live-on-board narrowboat but bought and converted a van last year... shows what can be done from scratch to completion... and in particular what to look for when looking at buying a converted ones- he's very thorough and you'll pick up a lot of tips and hacks to watch out for.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdcqG-tIAWI&list=PLfKN-CJ2jz9OeK6P4HQQI-Wex-tk6UOUc

There are zillions of self-build vids and 'how-to' vids on yt

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Indeed.
David's a happy easy-going amateur- he'd probably be unhappy to discover people are so over-critical and unpleasant about his achievements.

Last edited:

Wookee

Highland layby's, friendly pubs (the Pilot Inn at Dungeness lets visitors stay in a camper/motorhome for free so long as they buy an evening meal, for example - many remote country pubs permit this), remote spots that simply aren't reasonably available for a caravan.

The Pilot Inn sounds interesting! Any others similar you would recommend? I've always considered wild campervanning but I really wouldn't want to upset any locals. Encouraged stays are a different matter though.:okay:

Wookee

I've considered one on a few occasions, but one concern is if you are away then if you want to go anywhere you have to pack everything, up whereas a caravan you can go off in the car. But horses for courses

This is why drive away awnings are good. Just leave "stuff" in it while you explore. Nothing expensive or desirable and I've never had a problem doing this.

Attachments

• Camper 3.jpg
    Camper 3.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 6
Top Bottom