Camper Van advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I had a Commer camper with rising roof that eventually got so rusty that the MOT man said he would give me an MOT this time but never think of bringing it back. I got a VW T2 van with low mileage and with a bit of work transferred the furniture and fittings but since holidays loomed and with no time to finish just took off with no windows and no rising roof. After the holiday trip we decided we did not really need windows or rising roof and so just kept the van as it was for 100,000 miles and a few years. It was excellent for stealth camping and tho' the actual vehicle mechanics were rubbish it also served as a a commercial van for our business. I spent so much time in it I thought of getting a sticker for the driver's door saying "Home sweet Home".

D

Deleted member 26715

This is why drive away awnings are good. Just leave "stuff" in it while you explore. Nothing expensive or desirable and I've never had a problem doing this.
Don't you have a hassle lining back up?

A few years ago (well, it was 2005), when we had a Big White Shed On Wheels, we saw this at a site near Lake Windermere
The JEEP Wrangler was 'A-Framed' behind it

Park Cliffe

It must have been reasonably difficult to get it up to the site, as it was difficult enough with a Discovery Tdi & a big Elddis twin-axle ( & oncoming traffic on the access road)

Conversely I saw this one, on a social media page:wacko:

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
Great advise thank you all sure a lot to think about.
As for budget that’s a work in progress don’t think we’d be much over 10k or less. Maybe asking a bit to get anything decent just have to see what‘s around. We don’t mind setting up and staying put after all that’s that’s what bikes are for. Thank’s for saying the rules have changed and yes having looked them up many don’t met them. Is the saving worth it or is it not much difference?
Making a list of what we need is a great idea should help rule out a good few.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
We've owned a 1998 VWt4 California for the last 6 years. The T4 California was the officially VW sanctioned conversion by Westfalia, with a bed upstairs and a rock and roll bed downstairs (A bench seat that folds flat into a bed). We have a fridge, cooker, night heater and wardrobe as well as seats the rotate to the rear when parked up. Me and the wife sleep upstairs and the kids sleep in the driveway awning.

We've driven thousands of kilometres over mainland Europe in all weathers and had loads of adventures. @Phaeton I use a guy line pegged on the floor from the front wheel to the rear, in order to line up with the tent when we've been away.

It's a little tight with four, but I absolutely love it and wouldn't want anything bigger. The drive away awning is a must though in inclement weather.

California's are made in house by VW now and are a fair price, even our 20 year old van is commanding a fair whack, however they are so well built and cleverly thought out. I also love the size, it's no longer or wider than a Passat estate and easy to drive. Even this old bus has Aircon, cruise control and captains seats.

IMG_20200730_202305822_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200628_173017358_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I bought a T5.1 panel van in late 2015 at 6 months old, and over the next 6 months or so converted to a full pop top campervan with a very nice roof, top end RIB seat etc etc. It is wonderful and has served us very well. 2 adults, 2 kids, 2 dogs. Big driveaway awning. Sadly this year will be our last in the T5, as we've grown older the desire to put up the bed, put down the bed, not have onboard toilet etc etc has become a chore. SO yesterday we ordered a new, bigger van which ticks the boxes for us, though we do have to wait until next year for it.

Wookee

Great advise thank you all sure a lot to think about.
As for budget that’s a work in progress don’t think we’d be much over 10k or less. Maybe asking a bit to get anything decent just have to see what‘s around. We don’t mind setting up and staying put after all that’s that’s what bikes are for. Thank’s for saying the rules have changed and yes having looked them up many don’t met them. Is the saving worth it or is it not much difference?
Making a list of what we need is a great idea should help rule out a good few.
If I was spending £10k I'd definitely get a base van and go from there. Make it to your spec and build it up as you go. If you're only a little bit handy you can easily do everything except the electrics and cutting windows in. You will end up with something far better than you can get already done.

I bought mine 3 years ago and with the finishing I had to do it owes me just under £9k. I could sell it now for around £10k.

I wouldn't worry too much about the change of rules. As a motor caravan instead of a panel van I pay less through the Dartford Crossing, I can go faster on national speed limit roads and I think my insurance is a little bit cheaper. If you do create something that meets the rules then it is very simple to get the V5 changed.

screenman

Legendary Member
Avoid Transits, they’re the most stolen campers of all....

Ain't that right, the guys around here have to hide their Transits at night, my played 3 nicked last year all found the next day burned out minus engine. I will not have a Transit parked up at my house overnight, unless people are sleeping in it.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
O
The Pilot Inn sounds interesting! Any others similar you would recommend? I've always considered wild campervanning but I really wouldn't want to upset any locals. Encouraged stays are a different matter though.:okay:
Agree re: The Pilot. Again there are fb groups where good info. regarding places to park-up for the night can be found. There is also ‘Britstops’ a membership system, app and directory for staying-over in pub car parks.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I had a T5 pop top for a few years, but eventually out grew it as the family grew. I would suggest that you try a few, even better rent a few to see what works and what does not work for you. We rented 4 over a 3 month period to work out exactly what we wanted. Had we jumped in and gone for the first one we would have ended up with many things we did not like. I would also recommend a drive away awning, they are great for dumping all your stuff in and using the van as your get about for the day.

MarkF

Guru
My workmate has a £1000 Citroen Berlingo, he has a push in bed/kitchen thing that he bought from Ebay for £500, he and his wife go away every weekend in it. Basic but everything you need to get started with minimal losses if it's not for you.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-...551223?hash=item1a8a2ffff7:g:4FUAAOSwtNlcqETp

I recall my family wanting to camp about a decade ago, I spent £k's on stuff, we went Brabant and it pissed it down for 2 weeks, nobody wanted to camp again and I got a few £100 back on Ebay. Go in slow.

Last edited:
We spent a year driving around Australia in a 1966 VW combi, split screen, air cooled, 6 volt (you had to lean out of the window with a torch to drive in the dark), bought it of an old hippy who'd painted the inside entirely bright pink with Buddhist writings all over for 600 dollars and sold it for 300 (this was 1984/5). It had a map of Australia painted on the outside so we've got lots of photos of us pointing at where we were:smile:

Top Bottom