Camper Van advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

He's actually an ex TV presenter *

* I have no opinion either way, just sayin'
I remembered this thread the other day when I stumbled across his canal exploits again, his skills have changed since his first attempt & it was quite enjoyable.

DRM

Guru
So the latest instalment of the Proace saga has unfolded further, it went in for the 90,000 mile service, and over the last week or so the starter motor has been sluggish to turn over the engine, despite a new battery at the beginning of the year, yesterday it failed to turn the starter, so had to be left running as I dare not turn it off, the garage has reported back that the starter motor is kaput, and the drive shafts have packed up too, amongst some other things as well, they said they are ordering the parts, I suggested the only parts needed are 2 gallons of petrol & a box of matches, there was a workmates van left there too, with a coolant leak, picked up on the service, so anyone with the idea of converting one to a camper be warned, buy one of these at your own peril, be it in Citroen, Peugeot, fiat or Toyota versions, your bank account will thank you for it.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I'd forgotten this thread.
My T5 has gone:sad: Sad to see her go, I put a lot of effort into the build, and she took us to some great places, including the kids first French holidays. But, we've outgrown it. Tired of putting the bed up and down, the roof up and down etc etc, so we started thinking maybe something bigger. I don't have space to park anything over about 6.5metres, and we didn't really want a coachbuilt, so started looking at bigger panel van conversions. Much as I enjoyed the T5 build, the market for bigger vans being self built isn't there, and availability of furniture and so forth is lower with less options, so ready made it is.
After some looking, we've got an Elddis Autoquest CV40 on order, should be here in March. All very exciting.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Just down-traded our 7m overcab Luxo-Frankia MOHO:

For this 6.4m Globecar Campscout:

The Frankia has just been a van too far. It is utterly fabulous, superbly designed and built...but it’s big, heavy, thirsty and hard to find parking spaces.
Also with a few years experience we have found that we just don’t need as much kit or storage space either.

Long story short we think we will get much more use out of this van, especially as a day/event van and won’t be terrified of damaging it down narrow west-country lanes.

We collect ‘Geraldine’ on Monday....we’re very excited!

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

I'd forgotten this thread.
My T5 has gone:sad: Sad to see her go, I put a lot of effort into the build, and she took us to some great places, including the kids first French holidays. But, we've outgrown it. Tired of putting the bed up and down, the roof up and down etc etc, so we started thinking maybe something bigger. I don't have space to park anything over about 6.5metres, and we didn't really want a coachbuilt, so started looking at bigger panel van conversions. Much as I enjoyed the T5 build, the market for bigger vans being self built isn't there, and availability of furniture and so forth is lower with less options, so ready made it is.
After some looking, we've got an Elddis Autoquest CV40 on order, should be here in March. All very exciting.
View attachment 547989
Nice! Congrats.
There are some amazing PVC’s about these days. 6m?

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Nice! Congrats.
There are some amazing PVC’s about these days. 6m?

There are, far more than 5 years ago when I defaulted to a T5. Yes 6m, we looked at the larger offerings from Swift, their 184 @ 6.4m, but parking aside, we had concerns about how much weight we could put in it payload wise.

Internally ours looks very much like your new one, but round the other way with the slider on the passenger side. I have to say my desire for that did limit our options a little.

Fab Foodie

There are, far more than 5 years ago when I defaulted to a T5. Yes 6m, we looked at the larger offerings from Swift, their 184 @ 6.4m, but parking aside, we had concerns about how much weight we could put in it payload wise.

Internally ours looks very much like your new one, but round the other way with the slider on the passenger side. I have to say my desire for that did limit our options a little.
Um’d and ah’d about 6m length, but we like Longitudinal beds and the garage space underneath, it has the Fiat Maxi Chassis, so payload not such an issue. The offside door we have gotten used too with continental vans - another compromise!
We can’t wait ‘till tomorrow....let alone March :hyper:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
won’t be terrified of damaging it down narrow west-country lanes.

A £50,000+ motorhome is bordering on unusable in Devon lanes.

A camper/day van might just pass muster, but would drive me nuts, either driving it or meeting the sodding thing coming the other way.

The ideal vehicle for Devon lanes is something small and pokey - an original Mini Cooper would be my choice.

A late auntie of mine who lived all her life in South Hams had a succession of small cars and hatchbacks, when they became popular.

She always chose the model with the biggest engine.

Just down-traded our 7m overcab Luxo-Frankia MOHO:

View attachment 548099

For this 6.4m Globecar Campscout:
View attachment 548100

View attachment 548103

View attachment 548101

View attachment 548102

The Frankia has just been a van too far. It is utterly fabulous, superbly designed and built...but it’s big, heavy, thirsty and hard to find parking spaces.
Also with a few years experience we have found that we just don’t need as much kit or storage space either.

Long story short we think we will get much more use out of this van, especially as a day/event van and won’t be terrified of damaging it down narrow west-country lanes.

We collect ‘Geraldine’ on Monday....we’re very excited!

Not sure about down traded, looks a super PVC and hopefully what we'll evolve to as we get less and less, until then we remain with an ice cream van:laugh:

Fab Foodie

Not sure about down traded, looks a super PVC and hopefully what we'll evolve to as we get less and less, until then we remain with an ice cream van:laugh:
It is a super-duper PVC - but 2/3rds the price of the Frankia :eek: (which was sheer Joyous indulgence And worth every penny).
To be honest, a PVC was always my first choice (but it’s not up to me!).
After owning our first coachbuilt and knowing a bit more about what was available, the Globecar Campscout Revolution has been my van of choice.
After all, my idea of camping is a Brompton, bivvy-bag, tarp and trangia....

It is a super-duper PVC - but 2/3rds the price of the Frankia :eek: (which was sheer Joyous indulgence And worth every penny).
To be honest, a PVC was always my first choice (but it’s not up to me!).
After owning our first coachbuilt and knowing a bit more about what was available, the Globecar Campscout Revolution has been my van of choice.
After all, my idea of camping is a Brompton, bivvy-bag, tarp and trangia....

Yes noticed that here, a decently specced PVC is close to what we paid for our 6 birth Laika 7 yrs ago (exchange rate plays in that also). We'll likely go 2nd hand when we "side grade":rolleyes:

Fab Foodie

Yes noticed that here, a decently specced PVC is close to what we paid for our 6 birth Laika 7 yrs ago (exchange rate plays in that also). We'll likely go 2nd hand when we "side grade":rolleyes:
Ooh, like a Laika!
Judging by the huge increase in sales this year there are likely to be quite a few on the market in the near future.
Prices vary widely, there was a brand new Carrado A class 4 berth with huge rear garage at the dealers for 60k! That’s a lot of van for the money. Ok, build is lightweight/lesser quality, but it’s a lot of space nonetheless....

Top Bottom