Camping in Europe and Bike Security

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

xilios

Veteran
We use 2 cable locks to lock the bikes together (mainly for inconvenience) and a small 120db purse alarm hooked up to one of the spokes with a fishing line in case someone tries to carry the bikes away in the middle of the night.
120bd is pretty loud, as we found out when I forgot about the alarm a couple of times :-)
w2d1p1.jpg

albal

Guru
Hello, I am about to embark on a tour along the EuroVelo 6 route (France, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Serbia, Croatia, Romania)

My insurance states that I need to lock my bike to an immovable object.... do people have experience with European camp sites at all? What level of safety do they offer?

Thank you, Mark.
I'm doing the same route also, in a week or so. yet to renew my insurance through CTC.

Crankarm

Guru
Take off saddle and front wheel or just loosen the stem clamp bolts on the steerer. Try riding your bike with these loose ………. you will pretty much immediately fall off onto one of your shoulders possibly breaking your collar bone if your fall is hard enough which I managed not to do fortunately but christ it took me by surprise and hurt very much as I hit the tarmac of the car park. I thought I had tightened them back before I climbed on ……………… but obviously I hadn't after I got the bike out of the car one morning on my way to work.
Also if you are that worried about losing your bike, fit a tracker and cheap cable lock using SmartWater plus a small but good D-lock such as Abus.
But most places are low theft risks all except populated areas of the UK.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Plenty of cable locks that are alarmed and go off if the cable is cut.

We have one Currently protecting 4 bikes outside our caravan (all locked with big chain locks as well - we are in the UK).

OP
OP
krakatoa

krakatoa

So, at the moment, this is my bike security... The dog tether thing seems pretty hardcore to me - and I reckon if I screw it in near my tent, then someone will have a hell of a job unscrewing it when the lock and bike are attached to it.... although I reckon this will mean my bike will be lying flat - does this seem reasonable?

Attachments

• DSCF2703.jpg
    DSCF2703.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 32

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
So, at the moment, this is my bike security... The dog tether thing seems pretty hardcore to me - and I reckon if I screw it in near my tent, then someone will have a hell of a job unscrewing it when the lock and bike are attached to it.... although I reckon this will mean my bike will be lying flat - does this seem reasonable?

A single doc spike is fallible in that it can be unscrewed. Two dog spikes will frustrate all attempts at rotation.

I'd dispense with the spike and just lock the bike to an immovable object. There's always been a tree, fence or drain pipe nearby when I've used camp sites on the EV6 route.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I use one but don't put the lock through the swivel use the triangular top loop. I manage to get a few laughs by asking people who say whats that by answering "a corkscrew, now I just need to find a bottle big enough to use it on." :biggrin:

Brains

Legendary Member

Does your touring bike not have a kick stand ?
To be honest, I'm not sure how you can tour without one
I'd suggest fitting one of the ones that gores on the rear triangle, with careful balancing, it will support a fully loaded touring bikel

Does your touring bike not have a kick stand ?
To be honest, I'm not sure how you can tour without one
I'd suggest fitting one of the ones that gores on the rear triangle, with careful balancing, it will support a fully loaded touring bikel
I tour without one, but have found one of these to be quite useful (and weighs so much less!) and it does support the weight of a fully laden touring bike.

tesla34

Some ideas:
1. If you dont want to worry, take a bike that matters less if you lose it (ie a cheap one).
2. I think campgrounds are less of a problem than leaving a bike while you go shopping/eating/sightseeing.
3. For short stops, Use a dutch style frame lock that's easy to use and prevents rideaway theft, even without an immoveable object.
4. Be wary of places where dodgy people hang around, eg bars.
5. Don't leave your bike for long in the same spot.
6. Make your bike distinctive, make sure your name is on it.

My bike was stolen near Avignon. Left in one place too long, near a bar, at night, in city, only a combo lock attaching it to steel barrier.
A year later French police found it and returned it to me. My name was still on it, and they googled me. All part of why France is such a good place to tour.
Also: enjoy France, everyone is cycle-friendly, I think that reduces the risk.

Some ideas:

6. Make your bike distinctive, make sure your name is on it.

Interesting - have seen a few racers with their name on their bike and it always looked somewhat "poncy" to me.

But interesting for a tourer. In addition to the Hewitt I have an old chro-Mo Ridgeback which I've used for a couple of small tours - re your point about using an old bike I feel really relaxed with it as although it rides very well and has new hand-built wheels it doesn't look like much - frame has loads of sratches - also good - if I were to "visually degrade" it even more, not necessarily with my name but with various painted marks which would make it the "only one in the world", what sort of paint would folk recommend?

Amazing performance by the French police.

bigjim

Legendary Member
I tour on an old 90s bike. Its worth about £150. One time I forgot my lock and it was a week or so before I could buy another cheap one. When shopping I used to undo the front wheel quick release and also slip the chain off the front ring. Never had a problem. I only normally take a combi lock from the pound shop anyway.
I take something stronger in the UK though. The place is full of toe-rags.:smile:

Top Bottom