Camping near the T de Fr

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

campagman

Guru
I am looking at going down to the Pyranees on the Bike Bus in July. I have only just realised that the Tour de France will be down there too, the same week. This gives me a great chance to catch some of the big race which could be good but I have nothing planned or booked and was hoping to just turn up at campsites ad hoc. I am now thinking that with the Tour being there at the same time the area will be very busy and campsites may be busy/full. What do you people think, do you have any experience of this?

jags

Guru
you have no chance sorry

bianchi1

Guru
You might get lucky in the Pyranees, but i would not count on it. Was in the alps a few years ago during the tour and ended up cycling 60 miles after 5 in the evening looking for somewhere to sleep with no luck. Ended up sleeping in a bus stop.

ASC1951

Guru
The TdF has the biggest live audience in the world by a very large margin - several million man-days IIRC - so you may just be able to book a campsite 20 miles or so from the route if you do it right now. You are too late to get anywhere close.

OP
OP
C

campagman

Guru
I got put off the idea by the first two replies so am now looking at going a week earlier and getting off the bus at Orange and then back on at Bordeaux. I should just miss the Tour then.

Top Bottom