1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camping near the T de Fr

Discussion in 'Touring and Adventure Cycling' started by campagman, 13 Jun 2008.

1. campagman

campagman Über Member

I am looking at going down to the Pyranees on the Bike Bus in July. I have only just realised that the Tour de France will be down there too, the same week. This gives me a great chance to catch some of the big race which could be good but I have nothing planned or booked and was hoping to just turn up at campsites ad hoc. I am now thinking that with the Tour being there at the same time the area will be very busy and campsites may be busy/full. What do you people think, do you have any experience of this?

2. jags

jags Über Member

you have no chance sorry

3. bianchi1

bianchi1 Veteran

You might get lucky in the Pyranees, but i would not count on it. Was in the alps a few years ago during the tour and ended up cycling 60 miles after 5 in the evening looking for somewhere to sleep with no luck. Ended up sleeping in a bus stop.

4. ASC1951

ASC1951 Guru

The TdF has the biggest live audience in the world by a very large margin - several million man-days IIRC - so you may just be able to book a campsite 20 miles or so from the route if you do it right now. You are too late to get anywhere close.

5. campagman

campagman Über Member

I got put off the idea by the first two replies so am now looking at going a week earlier and getting off the bus at Orange and then back on at Bordeaux. I should just miss the Tour then.