Camping weekend - East Yorkshire 23rd July - 26th July

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Arch said:
I'm not bringing cooking stuff, no room in panniers, and we're eating out mostly aren't we? I can cope with continental stuff for breakfast on Sunday (unless the plan is to go to Mr Moo's first thing, but even I might baulk a bit at ice cream for breakfast...) and Monday, but is anyone bringing a stove? I can get up and going without tea, but...

I'm bringing a stove and kettle/pots and pans as well so it looks like we're covered. Eggs for breakfast sounds good:tongue:.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Piemaster said:
I quite regularly get 3 dozen eggs from Grange Farm (on main Hornsea road) and can usually get them all home intact now. Now as it took a few attempts to get a carrying strategy right. 20 mile round trip for eggs might seem a bit excessive but any excuse to be out on the bike....

Wimp. I get free range from a friend of a friend in Seaton Ross, and normally pick them up when I get a lift out to our fortnightly craft evening. But that's stopped for the summer, so between now and September, if I want them, I'll have a 33 mile round trip to get them!:smile:

(or I could be organized, and ask my friend to bring them into York when she's in work).

On Monday night, we had the authentic experience of carrying a tray of eggs home in a 2CV - which is what it was designed to handle. Although we didn't drive over any ploughed fields.

Eggs for breakfast does sound good - proper camping!

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Just to avoid any confusion for early arrivals on Saturday, it's the 2nd paddock on the right of the road (nearest to the sea)
The 1st paddock was overgrown, but mrs Soltydog informs me that he has now cut the grass a little, so we don't want anyone getting pitched in the wrong field :evil:

Shaun

Founder
The missus isn't keen on me spending all Sunday out playing, so I reckon if I set off at 7am and take a really steady pootle up to the paddock I should be with you for around 9am 'ish. (I've had all the recent lurgy and burst ear drum and the like, so not planning on any blasting up to Mappleton just a steady, gentle, easy, ride to the seaside.)

If you're not up by then I'll make sure I dive on all your tents and give you a good proper wake-up call !!!! ;)

So what time are we expecting to go for a bimble to Mr. Moo's wondeful ice cream emporium? and what time can I tell the missus I'll be back home (I can add a bit on if it means extra ice cream!!!)?

Cheers,
Shaun :blush:

Admin said:
The missus isn't keen on me spending all Sunday out playing, so I reckon if I set off at 7am and take a really steady pootle up to the paddock I should be with you for around 9am 'ish. (I've had all the recent lurgy and burst ear drum and the like, so not planning on any blasting up to Mappleton just a steady, gentle, easy, ride to the seaside.)

If you're not up by then I'll make sure I dive on all your tents and give you a good proper wake-up call !!!! ;)

So what time are we expecting to go for a bimble to Mr. Moo's wondeful ice cream emporium? and what time can I tell the missus I'll be back home (I can add a bit on if it means extra ice cream!!!)?

Cheers,
Shaun :wacko:

My lad has a bit of a football induced limp so the pair of us will have to take it easyish on way to Mr.Moos. Look for the tent with the Zzzzzzz.... coming from it.
9 am? On Sunday? How do you like your eggs eggxactly? (arf, arf). Might even have the kettle on for you.

As for spending time out, it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission :blush: Offer to buy her an ice-cream if when she meets you there as she surely can't have anything better to do than spend some 'quality' time with you. (Probably won't work but worth a try. Best mention chocolate ice-cream as well.)

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
If you arrive at 9, I'm sure it won't be too long after when we set off :angry:

Going up via the back roads at a steady pace will be about an hour & about the same back, but how long it takes you to scoff an ice cream sunday ?????

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Anyone going to the racing Friday night?

I will be marshalling at the Toll Gavel/Saturday Market crossing point just before the Start/finish line.

Say hello, I might recognise a few of you.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
ComedyPilot said:
Anyone going to the racing Friday night?

I will be marshalling at the Toll Gavel/Saturday Market crossing point just before the Start/finish line.

Say hello, I might recognise a few of you.

I think there'll be a few of us there. We're meeting in Saturday Market so will no doubt see you at some point.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Thanks Solty! Great food, great campsite and more ice cream than we could possibly eat (although I'm sure Admin would try:biggrin:).

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Thanks all for the company & fun this weekend :rolleyes:

The campsite is can be available anytime, so if anyone fancies another weekend just say the word :biggrin:
Hope Piemaster junior recovers ok & us oldies didn't tire him out too much :laugh:

Soltydog said:
Thanks all for the company & fun this weekend :laugh:

The campsite is can be available anytime, so if anyone fancies another weekend just say the word :biggrin:
Hope Piemaster junior recovers ok & us oldies didn't tire him out too much :tongue:

Ended up taking wheels off his bike and putting it in the car, he fell asleep on the way home :biggrin:. Not far short of 50 miles over the weekend so well done to him, he might have cycled home as well if the wind had been kinder but the ride back from Mr.Moos finished him off.

I however didn't fare so well on the way back and was glad he wasn't with me. Two groups of feral youths (late teens) on TPT on the way back, about 10 in each group and yelling at each other so obviously together. (Eventually) got past the first ones to have them throw crab apples at me, only one hit me (edge of saddle / @rse). 200m further on second group think its funny to weave about the path in front of me preventing me getting past once I'm in the middle of them 'sorry mate' - 'sorry mate'- 'sorry mate' :rolleyes:. Last one got out of the way when his heel clipped my front tyre. Oops. I then found out my legs weren't quite as tired as I thought and made a rapid exit.
Wonder if they would be so big on their own? Scumbags.
Or even better, meet the guy (again on the TPT) who went off on a rant because myself & junior were stopped and in his way on the way up to Soltys on Saturday. I'd pay money to see that.

2 incidents in 2 days. Never had any bother before on the TPT, nod to cyclists; slow down and 'thank you'' to dog walkers when they get the animal under control or walkers that step aside. The A165 for the egg run is looking attractive the way I feel about it at the moment.

Top Bottom