Camping weekend - East Yorkshire 23rd July - 26th July

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mrs P has just told me she got annoyed with driver of a red Audi who was trying to force her to pass Admin and Velocidad somewhere near Skirlington market by driving up to the back of the car. She resisted until there was a decent gap in oncoming traffic. :biggrin:

zacklaws

Guru
If I knew what time you was leaving Mappleton today Arch, I would have tagged along near the Beverley area and carried on with you to York and then returned to give you some company, but it never crossed my mind on Saturday or Sunday to ask.

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
zacklaws said:
If I knew what time you was leaving Mappleton today Arch, I would have tagged along near the Beverley area and carried on with you to York and then returned to give you some company, but it never crossed my mind on Saturday or Sunday to ask.

Arch left Mappleton around 8.30 this morning & with a slight headwind shouldn't be too far away from Beverley now :biggrin:
She's fully laden today though, so I don't think it will be gold medal speeds today :angry:

zacklaws

Guru
Just read your reply now Paul, feeling that Arch could have a 15 to 30 minute start on me here in Beverley, which I may be able to catch up, but I have the quandry that Arch could stop off for tea and cakes at some point, even Beverley which means I would not find her on route. If I knew Arch had not got past Beverley it would not be a problem to find her, but as it is I would not know if I am chasing her or leaving her behind somewhere.

I'm going to give it a go, head into Beverley and then up York road and hope.

Setting off now. 1020

Well had a nice run out to the outskirts of York and back along the A1079 but no sign of you Sue so I suspect you was well in front or you went by the country lanes, but we will soon find out.

Shaun

Founder
Piemaster said:
Mrs P has just told me she got annoyed with driver of a red Audi who was trying to force her to pass Admin and Velocidad somewhere near Skirlington market by driving up to the back of the car. She resisted until there was a decent gap in oncoming traffic. :wub:

Well done Mrs P - tell her thanks from me and Velocidad (and apologies from me as all that Mr Moo's grub meant I couldn't go much more than a few mph ... :rolleyes:)

Had great day and met some new faces; wind behind me on the way to Mappleton, welcome mug of hot chocolate on arrival (thanks Helen and Piemaster) as well as a nibble on Arch's tiffin (:tongue:), steady ride to Mr Moos, pig-out on pasties and a monster plate of ice cream (those who were will me will be satified to know that I paid for my gluttony later on!!) and then a steady ride back (thanks for slowing down Velocidad;)).

Make sure you give me a shout for the next one ...

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
It seems that a good time was enjoyed by all. Puzzlement arises tho' with regard to calories consumed on Sunday and calories expended in the next seven days! :rolleyes::tongue:

Were any photos taken, without tea, or toast, hot chocolate, tiffin, pasties, or ice cream also appearing in the photo? ;) (or beer) :wub:

HelenD123

Legendary Member
zacklaws said:
Well had a nice run out to the outskirts of York and back along the A1079 but no sign of you Sue so I suspect you was well in front or you went by the country lanes, but we will soon find out.

She definitely wasn't going straight down the A1079! Most of us prefer the quieter backroads;).

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Speicher said:
It seems that a good time was enjoyed by all. Puzzlement arises tho' with regard to calories consumed on Sunday and calories expended in the next seven days! :rolleyes::tongue:

Were any photos taken, without tea, or toast, hot chocolate, tiffin, pasties, or ice cream also appearing in the photo? ;) (or beer) :wub:

Most of us did well over 100 miles over the weekend so needed to keep up our strength;). I'll try to post the picture of Admin at Mr Moos later. He insisted I get his belly in the shot as well as the pasty and plate of ice cream:biggrin:.

zacklaws

Guru
Speicher said:

After the event I made off to my local to watch the Tour de France with the rest of the lads and surprisingly a few girls from the pub who also had took part whom I did not see earlier in the day. Everyone was wearing there "Big G" tea shirts, we must have the fittest pub in Beverley, and my intentions were to go home just after tea, but it was in fact nearer breakfast Sunday when I got home. My problem was I could only guess how many pints I had consumed, based on how much money I had left in my pocket, to enter my calorie intake into my profile on the "Livestrong" site, and even that looks a bit conservative as it only works out at less than a pint an hour, so i must have had more dosh than I thought.

As for photo's we should all have had one took on the ride and as for last year will eventually be posted on the net. Then we will all see who had an ice cream or a cake in there hand as they merrily rode along.

Arch

Married to Night Train
zacklaws said:
Setting off now. 1020

Ah, at 10.20 I was just leaving Beverley after a coffee stop... :smile: I know, it wasn't far to Beverley, but there had been a head wind, and as I had to go through the middle of town, I sort of decided to have a break... I did skip the cafe at Mkt Weighton, by taking the Goodmanham road we missed on Saturday. Pity, I could have further amazed the boy serving, with my mileage, like I did on the way out.

Lunch in Pocklington, back in York about 3.15. Briefly had the wind behind me after Pock, but against me with a vengeance after Stamford Bridge. Didn't call at the Balloon Tree, might never have left... Did manage to get up the lumpy bit between MW and Londesborough, which I was pleased with, and after that it's downhill all the way to lunch. I can see me doing that route more often, plenty of interest and views and cafes!:biggrin:

Brillant weekend. Thanks everyone for the excellent company, and special thanks to Helen and Soltydog for bed and meals - a real luxury, to be cooked for! That was in effect my summer holiday, and I couldn't have wished for better.

I'll sort my photos out in the next day or so - I might write it all up for the blog, maybe...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Oh, and let's all remember the quote of the weekend, from one of the Craigwend Minors as he stopped to catch up with us at the entrance to Mr Moos....

"Daddy, daddy, we've come for ice cream, not a chat!"

Sensible girl!:biggrin::biggrin:

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Speicher said:
It seems that a good time was enjoyed by all. Puzzlement arises tho' with regard to calories consumed on Sunday and calories expended in the next seven days! :smile::smile:

Were any photos taken, without tea, or toast, hot chocolate, tiffin, pasties, or ice cream also appearing in the photo? :biggrin: (or beer) :biggrin:

I must have consumed too many calories on Saturday, because despite riding just over 100 miles, I was 3lb heavier on Sunday morning. That gives an idea as to how many cakes I had at the feed station :biggrin:

zacklaws

Guru
And a real big thank you from me Sue, one of my targets that keeps eluding me somehow and usually by seconds, is 50 miles non stop in less than 3 hours, after getting back home from my round trip to York I suddenly realised what I had done, 54 miles in 2 hours 59, and when I look at the download, I did 50 miles exactly in 2 hours 48 mins and that included going up them lumpy bits as you call them twice.

The wind was a problem, I could not make my mind up at times whether it was headwind going to York or coming back. I'm sure also it changed at some point.

Wonder now if 100 under 6 hours is possible for me? Something says not, yet my body says go for it.

Arch

Married to Night Train
zacklaws said:
Wonder now if 100 under 6 hours is possible for me? Something says not, yet my body says go for it.

You are quite bonkers....:biggrin: But well done!

Yeah, I'm sure the wind was swinging about, it was behind me after Pocklinton, but in my face again by Stamford Bridge.

I have a few pics....

View attachment 3662
Me relaxing on the way over. The church is not on a slope, I was using my bar bag as a tripod.

View attachment 3658
The start....

View attachment 3659
and again, facing the other way...

View attachment 3660
Helen and me at the end, with Jennie, who we picked up at the feed station...

View attachment 3661
Piemaster enjoying some of my tiffin.

More in a moment...

Top Bottom