Camping - Your hint's and tips.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We're embarking on more camping trips this year after letting our static go due to site license and 'age' - i.e. been there too long - you have to but new or go. TTFN then we said.

We're also going to go to B&B's etc more too, so no 'stay in a hotel' answers. please ;)

Current plans are initial weekend in April with the new tent near Prestatyn where we had the caravan - we know the area well and my wife wild swims with a group there. Then we plan 5 days or so by the side of Bala Lake, then booked into a 'field' in Fairford to watch RIAT airshow (we're also going inside the show on one day).

Prestatyn site is fairly basic, but we are doing EHU due to time of year and wife doing the wild swimming (need to get warm if weather not favourable). Fairford will be in just a field with portaloos (we are getting a porta potti), and Bala will be a choice of EHU or not - thinking not as it will be warmer then, and there is ice block 'freezing' available (plus EHU is a rip off there and the non-leccy plots are next to the lake). And probably back to Prestatyn during June-August for a week.

We've got most stuff and a nice big 'traditional' bell tent (Wiggle sales - got a fantastic bargain). Already have gas cookers, fire pit/bbq and various battery lights, camp bed and self inflating mattresses. Small solar panel to recharge battery packs.

We're not doing 'basics' as MrsF might not be too chuffed.

Any of your favourite tips/campsites ?

classic33

Leg End Member
Make certain you can put the tent up before you leave home.
And that all the poles are still in a fit state to use.

Ridgeback Roller

Über Member
The Camping and Caravanning site at Rhayader, mid Wales is a great favourite of mine. Very good facilities, the tent pitches are right next to the river and the very new loo block. It's a ten minute walk into town with pubs and cafes plus a small co-op. Best of all is the cycling, there's plenty of routes both on and off road or a mix of the two, including the Radnor ring if you're feeling fit - great all day ride. My favourite though is to take the mountain road to either Strada Abbey or all the way to Aberystywth if time allows. I visit in my campervan every year and never bore of the place.
https://cycle.travel/route/radnor_ring/guide
https://www.campingandcaravanningcl...ites&msclkid=e38fc0e247f117ff59cda55a8b996bd4

Chief Broom

Veteran
If youre coming up to the Highlands ive always liked the Gruinard Bay campsite :okay: Each camping bay has a wooden surround which is handy if strong winds arrive. Often see otters there, ive had one walk by my tent in the early hours and have had my morning coffee while watching one fish. Pleasant/helpful site owner and good facilities :okay:http://www.gruinardbay.co.uk/
DSCF3775.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Make certain you can put the tent up before you leave home.
And that all the poles are still in a fit state to use.

Yeh, not tried that yet, it's sort of large - too large for my garden - will have to try it on the driveway first and double check everything is there - I've only had a quick look in the various bags. As it's a bell tent, it has a main pole in the middle, and four poles either side of each door, then just pegged out.

potsy

Rambler
Keep to the sites that are cheap with just the essentials.
Don't whatever you do stay at a posher glamping style site or you'll never go cheap again ^_^

We take the kitchen sink when we 'camp' so my advice would be to take as little as possible, it's a slippery slope though as we have found out :rolleyes:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Most of my camping has been in Derbyshire (bit in the lake district) and 2 of my favourite campsites are Haddon grove about halfway along Lathkill Dale, it's been there for years (marked on OS maps) and often used by DoE groups and Scouts. There are nice pubs about 2 miles each way that you can get to along the Dale and then return by road, the Bulls Head in Monyash and the Lathkill Hotel in Over Haddon both do excellent food and nice beer. Then there's a nice campsite near Monsall Head this can get very busy at weekends but is generally quieter mid week again with a decent pub quite nearby.
Both sites are good for cycling with the Tissington trail near Monyash and the Monsall trail obs near Monsall Head and both are a couple of miles from Bakewell so just off the A6.

I've got a few that I'd recommend

Gibraltar Farm (Lancashire) - Lovely site, fantastic facilities. Its close by to a train station and the lovely villages of Silverdale and Arnside are close by.
New House Farm (Derbyshire) - Opposite of Gibraltar as its cold water tap only and eco toilets! But a fantastically large site, and fully working farm. Close to the High Peak/Tissington cycle trails.
Seatoller Farm (Cumbria) - A good site to get away from it. Although in the middle of the lakes I still think of it as remote as there is little close by. Cash only.

Any tips? Don't forget the pillows! I hate sleeping dead flat and must have pillows.

I saw a guy testing his big new family tent un a small neighbourhood park.
Is "hot tenting" a thing in the UK or just arctic Canada.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

If you have EHU then an electric coolbox is worth having.

Got one ! - Not drinking warm beer. I've also managed to get a ground anchor made for securing bikes to - a Portalock ground anchor - only cost £6 delivered as they have been discontinued.

Last edited:

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Make sure your sleeping arrangements (mats, bags etc) are comfortable. Test them out at home first. Having a good nights sleep makes a massive difference to how you'll enjoy the experience.
I'd also not take the kitchen sink as otherwise everything just becomes a bit of a chore, packing and unpacking. That said I don't go camping in a car, so am probably talking cobblers, feel free to ignore this bit!

simongt

Guru
We take the kitchen sink when we 'camp' so my advice would be to take as little as possible, it's a slippery slope though as we have found out :rolleyes:
Very much so. Look in any large camping shop and you'll find all the stuff you didn't know you didn't need - ! :laugh:
It very much depends on what level of comfort you need and the style of cooking you're planning.
When we go, we take more than when I go solo and I do basic, so it's a joint decision. :whistle:
And don't get conned into 'oh but you simply MUST have this gizmo - !'

Top Bottom