Camping - Your hint's and tips.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
For me, wild camping is a much better experience, although @Chief Broom picture is a great argument for a campsite.

Carry as little as you can get away with, although it does feel that the list of gear required is ever growing, but my can't go without gadget is my Jetboil.

I'm looking forward to getting away on a couple of short overnight trips when spring comes.

tom73

Guru
Write a list of this you will always need to take and one of things you will want to chop and change. Depending on what things you will be doing/what weather you expect. Save you packing every thing and never using most of it.
Pack your always stuff in storage box or boxers. That way all you need do is load up the boxer and it's all ready to go. Thats how we do it so it's easy to change over the van when we go off grid. It will help with packing up and storage on site.
It will take a few trips before you get your set up and pack up right. It's good to decide and spit the jobs up before you arrive it saves on any "words" once you're onsite.
Pack a just in case box, I use a small tool box with water proof tape, cable ties, extra rip cord ect. Never know what you need to a running repair.
As for sites I know a few good ones in north yorkshire , we mostly use CCC Or affiliated site and temporary ones. They are basic but cheep and often in locations that are you don't find official sites.
It's worth joining CCC for the "social camping" and affiliated sites. The main sites are too big for us we like smaller sites with room to move.
Have a look at leeds DA site for the sort of "social camping" on offer. Lots of other DA sites but leeds has a good set out site.
Other site a must are ukcampsite.co.uk , lot of sites listed many with user reviews and great site search tool. The forum is friendly and helpful too.
https://www.freedomcampingclub.org/ free to join and lots of smaller out the way sites. Many are basic but nice get away sites.
You also get free night away each year once you sign up.
https://www.pitchup.com/ great one stop site for searching , finding reviews and booking all in one place.

Have you though of having a dry run / over night at a site local to you so you get a go at pitching and take down before you go proper?
If you going off grid a lot a power bank is worth a look. We on eco flow you a lot off grip and around the house and garden for portable power. They are not cheep but often have offers the real plus I they charge quicker than most others. The other plus is you can still have one or electrical "treats".
If after a time you think about getting an electric hob go for Vango sizzle induction cooking hob. They are bullet proof and built for outdoor use and are lower powered so wont trip EHU.
It's worth checking eBay for a porta potti , lots of people buy them and never use them. We got one for a song never used or opened.
Go for the greener chemicals and one that you can use in both top , bottom save's carrying two lots. We use Fenwicks and find it work well and not over powering smell.

Slick

Guru
For me, wild camping is a much better experience, although @Chief Broom picture is a great argument for a campsite.

Carry as little as you can get away with, although it does feel that the list of gear required is ever growing, but my can't go without gadget is my Jetboil.

I'm looking forward to getting away on a couple of short overnight trips when spring comes.

Oh yes, and always always always, camp near a pub. :cheers:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
We did camp extensively under canvas but latterly only in tin boxes.
However from experience of watching other people the advice to have a trial overnight before embarking on a longer trip is sound.
The worst was in Belgium near Liege when a party of English with loud voices arrived after midnight and that was their first stop from a ferry. They clearly had never tried the tents before and after about an hour of shouting and general noise gave up and kipped in their cars before deciding they were not going to try again and would use hotels instead.
PS Our tent was indeed canvas being a Black's Good Companion which I still have.

Slick

Guru
I find it better to have a mile or two walk back to the tent, gives a chance to get rid of some of the beer you've 'rented'

My worst decision was planning on being around five or 6 miles beyond the pub, so we stopped for a couple before getting to the planned night stop. It was a beautiful warm late afternoon when we walked in, but pitch black when we finally walked out and then started to rain. We had to abandon our original plan and headed for the shore about a mile away from the pub. It was like the keystone cops watching us trying to get organised, and eventually we gave up on dinner and shared a couple of drams before heading for the nest.

Not our proudest moments, but its always good just to have the freedom to do what you like, when you like. 😉

raleighnut

Legendary Member
My worst decision was planning on being around five or 6 miles beyond the pub, so we stopped for a couple before getting to the planned night stop. It was a beautiful warm late afternoon when we walked in, but pitch black when we finally walked out and then started to rain. We had to abandon our original plan and headed for the shore about a mile away from the pub. It was like the keystone cops watching us trying to get organised, and eventually we gave up on dinner and shared a couple of drams before heading for the nest.

Not our proudest moments, but its always good just to have the freedom to do what you like, when you like. 😉

5-6 miles is a bit of a trek IMO.

Mind you Maz was worried when we first went camping together that 'near the tent' was good enough for me, I've got a superlight camping 'chair' that's just a base and backrest with 2 straps to adjust the angle of the back so the technique is get a brew on, light a couple of tealights pour a dram or 2 into a glass (one of my luxuries whilst camping is a glass) and sit enjoying the night with the tent there just in case it starts raining.

oldwheels

Legendary Member

For a townie it can get surprisingly dark even on a clear night so long as there is no moon. I have been in situations where I could not even see my feet which is a bit alarming to put it mildly.

classic33

Leg End Member
For a townie it can get surprisingly dark even on a clear night so long as there is no moon. I have been in situations where I could not even see my feet which is a bit alarming to put it mildly.
As a townie, I find the night welcoming. Able to wander, without the need for lights, other than to be seen by.
Give your eyes time to adjust to low light and there's a whole new world for you to see.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We've gone with camp beds and self inflating mattress after a brand new air bed went flat in the night in September. First camp is in an area we know well and four pubs are in walking distance, two close. Also good for cycling and swimming.

Need to grab a book or two or I'll be going stir crazy or doing laps of the campsite on the CX bike just because. I've got most of the camp bits in two boxes, but they need thinning out, then a spare box for food etc.

We've a few battery lanterns and two head torches which have been chucked in one of the boxes.

It all better fit in either car ! Only us two going so no roof box needed, but if forecast is OK, bikes will be coming on my car's roof.

Just need to remember to pack light.

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
As a townie, I find the night welcoming. Able to wander, without the need for lights, other than to be seen by.
Give your eyes time to adjust to low light and there's a whole new world for you to see.

You usually can see enough but there are occasions when it is so dark it is scary. This last happened to me when I went for a night walk near Loch Shin and had enough time to let my eyes get attuned to the difference away from all lights.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You usually can see enough but there are occasions when it is so dark it is scary. This last happened to me when I went for a night walk near Loch Shin and had enough time to let my eyes get attuned to the difference away from all lights.

Did some night orienteering when I was a yoof - no head torches as if anyone turned them on, you lost your vision for a few minutes. We could see well enough until someone accidentally walked into an electric cattle fence ! Looking forward to some 'dark skies'. Didn't get dark skies in Shell Island in September as a storm hit overnight - the old tent's stayed up, some other's didn't.

Hicky

Guru
Camped in its various guises, through being an infantryman ie carry what you live with through to glamping with the family.
We currently have a huge inflatable polycotton which I'm not keen on, I much preferred our old Dutch pyramid.
Ukcampsite is a reasonable page, EHU if you know the weather is going to be crap. @fossyant I'd have a look at getting a tarp to go over the front of the tent to give the doorway some shelter.
Our fav camping item is easily EHU and a campingaz partygrill/cadac. They're amazing and not overly expensive.....it's all a learning experience and before you buy ask yourself "do I really need this?"....similar to n+1.....before you know it you're towing a 6x4 trailer full with a roof box full and you haven't brought half the stuff you own.:blush:
All my kids camped from 4/5 month onwards and loved it.

Top Bottom