Campsites in Italy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andym

Über Member
The bad news is that the Italian riviera is an expensive area for camping and campsites tend to be fairly cramped. Whether it's more expensive than the French Riviera I don't know - although I'd doubt it (a quick look at the ACSI site suggests that prices are pretty similar).

30 euros for two people sounds par for the course for the area and time of year I'm afraid. The first half of August is the absolute peak holiday season.

The Genova Est at Bogliasco on the eastern side of Genova, and the Tahiti at Finale Ligure are both reasonable sites.

There are some rather unappealing sites along the way (some people seem to be prepared to be crammed into tiny sites providing they are by the beach), it's definitely worth checking out the reviews on the ACSI site (there's a site to the west of Genova that scores spectacularly badly in the reviews and looks like it's worth avoiding). Personally I'd pay the extra for the better sites.

There are two or three sites that are a few miles inland and these may well be worth checking out - because IME they often offer better value than the coastal sites. For example there's this one:

http://www.campingdolcevita.it

I haven't stayed there but it looks like it might be a better bet than a coastal site.

There's a directory of campsites here:

http://italy-cycling-guide.info/liguria/liguria-campsites/

with a link to a google map.

I've stayed in hundreds of campsites in Italy and I generally expect to pay between 10 and 15 euros a night (travelling alone) a bit more than France but not dramatically so. Italy doesn't have many cheap-as-chips basic municipal-type sites with just basic facilities: many sites have swimming pools, for example, and electricity is often standard and included in the price (OK a bit galling if you don't want it). If you compare like with like, prices are comparable with French sites with similar facilities and similar locations.

A lot also depends on the local market: I've stayed in some lovely sites on Elba for about 10 euros a night - similar sites nearby on the mainland were a fair bit more expensive.

You may be interested in the guide I've written to this route:

http://italy-cycling-guide.info/liguria/liguria-coast/

( this part of the series deals in more detail with Genova to the border with France: http://italy-cycling-guide.info/liguria/liguria-coast/liguria-coast-1/ )

I would get off the main via Aurelia whenever you can: there are a couple of cycleways along the coast that are easy to miss but are definitely worth taking. The Cycling Riviera in particular is absolute bliss and hopefully will hopefully compensate for the price of the campsites.

There's a directory and map of campsites here:

and personally I'd pay the extra for the better sites.

The route between Genova and Ventimiglia is pretty flat - the hills are on the other side between Genova and La Spezia.

PS as a rule of thumb a birra piccola (20cl) is a couple of euros and an espresso 1 euro. But again prices vary expect to pay more on the terraza at a nice location (reflecting the fact that the bar owner will probably be paying a premium rent for a premium location). I haven't stayed in the south of France, but returning from Italy via Paris I'm always shocked by the prices (not to mention the atrocious coffee). Campsite prices aren't the only factor in the cost of touring.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dave Davenport
Thanks for all that, we're planning on heading north west away from the coast straight away, have earmarked a couple of sites that look ok and aren't too expensive.

andym

Über Member
Thanks for all that, we're planning on heading north west away from the coast straight away, have earmarked a couple of sites that look ok and aren't too expensive.

That's a serious amount of climbing. Respect.

There's a nice site at Alba if that's on your route. It doubles as a hotel but there's definitely a campsite there. I've stayed at a number of others in Piemonte, but I don't know your route so there's no point posting more random recommendations. If you're planning on going near Torino the campsite there has been closed down although the website is still live.

andym

Über Member
When I came the other way I followed stretches of the SS456. I turned off at Ovada, so I don't know what the section into Voltri/Genova is like, but the sections I took were relatively quiet. The Passo Turchino is 532m so it's also relatively low. As the motorway goes the same way, the through traffic will probably take the motorway, so it looks like a decent bet.

I had better warn you that Italian campsites near ski resorts tend to have mainly static caravans on annual lets.The caravans then have porches and roofs added. At their best they can look like mini-chalets complete with window boxes and garden gnomes, but at worst they can look pretty unprepossessing - especially if there are a number that are vacant and for rent. You should generally be able to find a decent bit of space though. The fact that they have so many long-term tenants means they have a nice sense of community - although it can also mean that the management can get a bit set in its ways.

There's a decent (but small site) at Paesana (the Valle Po).

I stayed at the Serre Marie at Fenestrelle which was OK. There's another campsite on the climb to Sestrière (the GoFree at Pragelato) which seemed OK from the little I could see of it. There's a campsite near Sestrière but it's some distance (vertically) from Sestrière. Not that Sestrière is particularly attractive/interesting (basically a French purpose-built ski resort in Italy). Given the choice I'd rather stay at Pragelato than Sestrière. The descent from Sestrière is great though,

There's a campsite at Clavière. I eventually found the website: http://www.nuovocampeggioclaviere.it/index.html

PS the Via Pedemontana Alpina (shown on OSM maps) provides a useful link on quiet roads and an excellent cycleway.

Last edited:

wintonbina

Über Member
Hi Dave,
Hope it all goes well for your trip. Don't forget to post up your journey & route please because I might want some information for when I ride Rome to Home (Bournemouth) next September! Our planned route is taking in Monaco but I don't expect us to be staying or drinking there! :cheers:
Good luck,
Tony

OP
OP
Dave Davenport
All worked out well, campsites were all ok and all around 20 euro. Spent one night in a agri tourist b&b (after accidentally climbing to 1450m and coming down a goat track), couple of beers, four course meal with wine, nice room and breakfast for 100 euro.
We're planning on spending longer in Italy next year.
I'll get round to doing a crazy guy blog at some point.

Top Bottom