Campsites in Spain, search.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dave Davenport
Well that's the (rough and subject to whim) route planning done; South west out of Barcelona then turn north before Madrid to Burgos, then west to pass just south of Leon and then head north into the Picos. Meander around the Picos until it's time to head into Santander (via the passenger ferry from Pedrena) for the ferry back to Portsmouth.
We might get caught out but it's looking like we'll be ok for campsites. A few will have to be the 'holiday resort' type at around 20 euro but there are quite a few small, quiet & cheaper ones in the national parks.
Now that's done I can sort out the lad's (average age 50) lightweight, mini tour to Normandy I'm organising for September:cheers:.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
That does sound nice Rich and to have done 50/50 would have been perfect, but, without a planned route (I never have one) it's difficult to find a campsite in Spain when you want one, plus, there is such a great choice of good cheap rooms. When I do the North coast, Bilbao round to Vigo, I'll camp most of the way.
Agreed Mark. I plan to the extent that I know where the campsites are and where I'm going to finish. If it's a regional difference in Spain then I was lucky. Hotel touring which I have done in the colder seasons or when there is nothing else is an inferior option^_^ IMHO

Ive found that it is easy to find campsites anywhere near the coast in Spain - however as soon as you go inland they become thin on the ground - however it is easy to find places to wild camp if necessary

Finding campsite in advance resources - probably google maps is easiest - followed by eurocamping, ADAC, Archies (sites should be verified separately) michelin maps.

Ive never tried the hotel touring option so I have no idea of the pros - camping for me is inseparable from cycle touring - being able to just pick my route on the day and not worry (too much) about where I am going to end up at the end of the day is what it is all about for me

andym

Über Member
I agree with the recommendations for the ACSI site and for Google Maps. alanrogers.com can also be useful but is less comprehensive than ACSI.

I spent a couple of months touring Andalusia in 2011. Away from the coast campsites were thin on the ground. Off the tourist track I was paying €18 for a decent hotel room (usually ensuite often with AC). A really good big lunch with wine for a similar amount if not less. Campsites were relatively expensive - OK in some places you might make a saving, but whether it's sufficient to justify carrying camping equipment is pretty debatable. Northern Spain may well be very different.

Top Bottom