Campy 11sd derraileurs with 10sd shifters & cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks Ian, yes that does seem to suggest a compatibility issue is the cause to the issue i'm seeing although never 100% sure that an 11sd chain is an issue on 10sd as i still see it as a narrower chain (5.40 vs 5.90mm) should actually shift easier.
The issue around 10 and 11s chain is more to do with the front mech than anything.

11s chain fit to 10s chainrings is fine, the root widths of the chainring teeth are very close to the same (unlike 10s chains on 8s rings, where sometimes front derailling doesn't work well because the root widths of the teeth are too wide).

At the rear, 11s on 10s is fine because there's clearance between the sprockets although obviously, 10s chain on 11s cassette won't work.

At the front, though, the "gate" of the front mech is a different width and using an 11s chain on a 10s chainring set up with a 10s front mech can lead to issues, especially with a compact-type chainset / wider ratio cassettes. It also varies a little with which version of 10s rings as they were modified several times in different ranges over the 15-year history of 10s in the Campagnolo range and the exact geometry of the frame - a short rear triangle will always present a gearing system with more challenges than a longer one.

The problem is usually around the control of the chain by the front mech on downshift, especially with the chain under tension / when shifting from the big ring to the smaller whilst on the bigger sprockets at the back.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
Thanks so much Graeme, very good info indeed.

Since i've added the correct cassette:laugh: the gear changes are really good. Took it out for a 60km spin on Saturday to let it all settle it just needs a few minor tweaks but all good:okay:

Top Bottom